Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schuller
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a kid I had a seemingly endless desire for more games. I gravited towrd those that were abstract strategy or word games. I recently went into my parents basement to see what games might still be around. I figured the kids would get a blast out of it.
Battleboard was oneof the games I found, and it survived the 30 years or so complete and in playable condition.

Components - the game board is interesting as each side contains a 5 x 5 matrix of holes in which corresponding locations are 'connected' via a 'tunnel' underneath the top. Additionally, there is a screen which will divide the board so that each player cannot see their opponents current position. The bits include 4 knight pawns, 1 king pawn, and a plunger.

Object - the object of the game is fairly simple move any two pawns to the row next to the divider OR reduce your opponent to only one pawn (thus making their winning conditions impossible!)

Game Play - There are 5 legal initial set-ups. Each player places there 4 knight pawns in their back row (furthest from center) and places their king pawn in the second row in front of the vacant hole in their back row. Each player then moves one pawn - one space forward, backward, left or right (no diagonal moves permitted). Then each player takes their plunger places it on an empty hole, and plunges! If their opponent has a pawn in the corresponding hole on the 'other' side it will fly/pop out and has been captured (eliminated from the game). Each player continues to take turns in this fashion. The only additional rule, is that IF a player succeeds in getting their King pawn to the top row, they may declare that and retrieve a previously captured knight pawn. (They dont reveal which of the 5 spaces their king is in, only that it is there) The returned knoght pawn may start in any hole in the back row.

Commentary -
Ok, it is simple and getting a quick kill is somewhat easy as there is such a limited number of possiblities from the initial set-up. However, since you can only plunge on holes that you have empty, plunging will reveal some information about your position.

After the first few moves it really becomes much more hit or miss and cat and mouse. I wasn't as impressed with it as I was when I was a kid. However....my 3 sons were quite drawn into the plungers. So I guess that is still cool and fun. They had a field day blowing up the pawns! They also wanted to play game. My 12 year old son played about 5 consecutive games....and followed up by requesting it the next day. Under his direction I had to eliminate my thoughts to trade this to a game collector, instructed him to take care of it. Its his. Of course we had to play one more time!

So...to summarize...I dont know how well this game would fair today, but the plungers certainly make this game cool enough to get interest from kids and after all that was the target audience all those years ago.
If you can find a copy and this kind of 'battleship'type game is appealing to you, I would certainly recommend trying it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The board is fun. Blowing the air to attack the enemy is fun.

But the game play itself is not so fun. Just random blowing to find the enemy. Only a slight amount of strategy.

There must be some way to transform such a great device into an interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.