Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Williams
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

A possibly very dumb question here (or one answered already that I could not find in my search)...

So I dove right into the game as Solo play (probably a very bad idea) and the Travel rules are really the only thing that fries my brain trying to work it all out. Specifically I have one small question:

When you get to the very end of the Travel "from" flow chart, it says "Random, including Destination". Does that mean if you get to this point then you randomly choose where the cell is coming from from all places on the board that have cells, and ALSO a totally random spot on the board where it will go using the world destination chart?

It just seemed odd (if I have a destination that is valid), it would seem like a cell from a random location would try to go there, and not decide to just packup and go to a random place. But maybe this is the game's mechanism to unpredictably scatter cells across the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
West Ward Hough
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typed this a few times, and have had trouble making it clear, so hopefully this works.

As you said, you are in the Travel "from" flow chart. The "including Destination" does not refer to randomizing your Destination, it refers to making the Destination an eligible source of cells.

In this case, "Random, including Destination" refers to randomly choosing the cell's origin from all the places on the board that have cells (including the destination if it has cells), not "random from, and also random destination".

Besides being a bit clearer in the actual rules, this is implied from the rules in section 9.4.2.6.1 when it refers to Active cells just going to Sleeper status within the destination country if selected:

"Randomly among countries with cells, including the destination country itself (resulting, if selected, in any Active cell used becoming a Sleeper, 4.6.4)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Williams
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, that makes sense now! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the chart selects the origin as the same country as the destination but there are no active cells there. Do the cells still travel (with no effect)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
West Ward Hough
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While keeping in mind that you should be prioritizing those origins that have active cells before sleeper cells, if you are only left with sleeper cells and randomly select the same location as your destination, yes I would do as you said, for no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation I ran into was the destination matched the first bullet (A non-Islamist Rule country with Besieged Regime, then Regime Change, then Aid, if any), which was Afghanistan, and the origin matched the second bullet (Regime Change country with more than 5 cells), which was also Afghanistan. All cells in Afghanistan were sleepers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.