Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have time to write a proper session report, but I wanted to let the BGG community know how much crazy fun I'm having with this game. Last Friday my wife and I got together with out friends Bob and Jen and tried the zombie scenario (Da Vinci's Macchina Diabolica) for the first time. Since it was All Hallows Eve, we felt this was the appropriate scenario. This scenario is from the Apocalypse expansion, and is rated "hard". We included the Journey to the Tomb tile. We've beaten the Nazi scenario, the Kraken and the Mummy, so we were ready (or so we thought).

Well, it lived up to its reputation. After falling down the secret entrance shaft to level 3, my adventurer (Kevin Narsi) proceeded to lose his only weapon (Sledgehammer), fail a strength check (his best ability) and get Slowed in quicksand, then get cornered by not one but two Zombie Hordes. Meanwhile, my wife's character (Steve Sharkey) was an undead killing machine, until he got surrounded by 3 Zombie Hordes, a Wolf Pack and an Apocalypse Soldier, and couldn't survive the Tomb Phase. Since my guy was destined to die, and Bob's guy was down to 2 health and facing two Da Vinci Decimators, we decided to call it a loss. This (and much more) all happened in 4 rounds. We all loved the scenario though, and wanted to try it again.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. My wife was itching try the scenario again, this time just the two of us. We kept the same two adventurers. This time I kept my Sledgehammer, but ended up Slowed, Stumped, and Targeted. As soon as I got rid of Slowed, I got Bloodlust (must attack closest creature and/or adventurer). After killing the one creature in my room, I started chasing my wife around the Tomb! (I got rid of Bloodlust in the Tomb Phase.) We had to explore a ton of tiles to find the River Styx, and a lot of creatures spawned. We had to fight off waves of Zombies and various other creatures. Lots of outdoor creatures spawned on the Journey to the Tomb tile. It was non-stop combat. After about 11 rounds, we're finally at a point where we can turn off Da Vinci's machine and deal with the Zombie Overseer (boss monster).

This has been a truly epic session that will continue tonight. I haven't seen my wife so into a board game in a long time, so this game has been worth every penny. She just loves chucking two handfuls of dice in combat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Sessions!!! Very glad to hear that you guys had such a good time!

Did you end up playing different Adventurers on Sunday? Did they have an impact?

--Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We stuck with our same two adventures (Steve Sharkey and Kevin Narsi). Since it was just the two of us, we each started with two Companions.

I think if we had known the scenario better, our 4-player game would have gone better. We were doing great until we found the machine. Two of us were not in a good spot when that happened, and things went south very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
We stuck with our same two adventures (Steve Sharkey and Kevin Narsi). Since it was just the two of us, we each started with two Companions.

I think if we had known the scenario better, our 4-player game would have gone better. We were doing great until we found the machine. Two of us were not in a good spot when that happened, and things went south very fast.

Nice! Very glad to hear that you never lost hope and that you went back for more right away to become victorious!

--Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished the scenario Monday evening, and were indeed victorious. After running (and running) from the seaplane to the River Styx with the lever, I restarted the machine and unleashed the Guardian of the Tomb. The Overseer and his Decimator henchmen appeared on Mongol's Hall, where Sharkey was waiting one room away. After Katerina (Sharkey's Companion) hit the Overseer for 3 damage, we both went into the room and started the final big combat. We whittled down the Overseer pretty low (Sharkey is a monster against Undead), then we hit the Tomb Phase and something funny almost happened.

The Tomb card said all Courage loss is doubled during the Tomb Phase. Neither of us had attacked the Decimators yet, and I was going to be the target. Each Decimator causes 5 Courage loss normally, so if both of them attacked me I would have lost 20 Courage. At first we thought this was inevitable, but then my wife reminded me I can try to evade them. Then we remembered the rules for the Overseer and his Decimators: the Overseer wants to get to the machine to turn it back on, so he wouldn't attack us but instead would move toward the River Styx. As long as the Overseer is still alive, his Decimators would follow him (like bodyguards) instead of attacking us. Based on our interpretation of all of that, we moved the Overseer toward the River Styx, and the Decimators followed him. This allowed us to avoid taking any Courage loss in the Tomb phase. I don't know if we did all of that correctly, though.

On the next round we killed the Overseer and both Decimators, then went back up the Mineshaft to kill the remaining zombie walkers. as the last of the undead creatures fell, we celebrated our hard-fought victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.