Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TURNS / ACTIONS
How many / which actions can you do on your turn?
- Do as many actions as you like, of any sort, in any order. (On Your Turn, p17)

How does the turn order work?
- Whoever has the fewest points takes their turn first, then the player to their left, and so on around the table, until everyone has had as many turns as they like for the year. If there is a tie for fewest points, break the tie randomly. (Turn Order, p14)

COMPONENTS
What components can a spacecraft be made of? (To dock, to separate, to maneuver, to land, etc.)
- Absolutely anything, as long as any astronauts on board have a seat. (Spacecraft Assembly, p22)

What happens when you have a spacecraft made of no components?
- A spacecraft made of nothing is not a spacecraft anymore.

What do you need to test Life Support?
- Any capsule, in space. (Off-Earth Survival, p15)

Can you buy components without having their prerequisite advancement?
- No. (Components, p21)

How do you repair damaged components?
- Have a mechanic on board consume one supply, and all components on board are repaired. At the end of the year, everything on Earth gets repaired for free. (Mechanics, p32) (End of Year, p15)

MANEUVERING
What components do you need to perform a maneuver?
- Components that provide sufficient thrust. Usually this will be rockets and/or ion thrusters, but some maneuvers don't require any thrust at all. (Maneuvering, p23)

What happens if you don't generate enough thrust?
- You don't perform the maneuver. (Maneuvering, p23)

Can you change your mind about firing multiple rockets/thrusters partway through?
- Yes. Each rocket/thruster is a new decision point. You don't have to announce which ones you plan to use in advance. (Maneuvering, p23)

Can you combine several maneuvers together or split one maneuver into two smaller maneuvers?
- No.

Do you have to decide which maneuver you're doing and/or how many years you're taking before generating thrust?
- Yes. (Faster and Slower Maneuvers, p27)

What's special about ion thrusters?
- They are not discarded upon use. The thrust they generate depends on the number of years of the maneuver. They can only be used on maneuvers of one year or longer. (Ion Thrusters, p26)

When does an automatic maneuver happen?
- At the end of your turn, if your spacecraft has no time tokens on it. (Automatic Maneuvers, p23)

What happens when a spacecraft is destroyed?
- If there are any astronauts on board, tuck them under your agency card where they are worth -2 points each. Put any other components and time tokens from the spacecraft back on their stacks. Take the spacecraft's token off its location.

MANEUVER HAZARDS
Which components burn up on reentry?
- Read what they say on them. Some burn up no matter what. Some require you to draw an outcome from Reentry to see what happens. The rest are unaffected by reentry, so they don't say anything. (Atmospheric Entry, p25)

What does the landing hazard do?
- Without the Landing advancement, all components are destroyed. With it, draw an outcome to see what happens. (Landing, p25)

Do you face landing and Ceres/Phobos hazards before the time tokens are removed or after?
- After. You don't land on Ceres/Phobos until you arrive at Ceres/Phobos. (Multi-Year Maneuvers, p24)

EXPLORATION / SURVEYING
How do you explore a location card?
- There are two ways: A) perform a maneuver that has a hazard described on that location, or B) survey such a location. (Exploration, p30)

What can you survey?
- Look at the location you're on. Find the maneuvers leading away from there to other locations. See how some of those maneuvers have hazards on them? From where you are, you can survey any location that describes one of those hazards.
So if you're in Mars Orbit, you can do maneuvers with the Mars, Phobos, and Solar Radiation hazards on them. Therefore, you can survey the locations Mars, Phobos, and Solar Radiation from Mars Orbit. (Exploration, p31)
- Exception: You can't survey the Suborbital hazard. The only way to reveal it is to send an astronaut into space.

Can you survey an already-explored location?
- Yes. (Exploration, p31)

OTHER
Why would anyone want to remove a Success outcome?
- If you remove all the outcomes on an advancement, success is guaranteed. While you still have outcome cards on it, you never know for sure what they are.

Can a spacecraft in flight use advancements that you researched after it was launched?
- Yes. Spacecraft don't have any memory, so there's no way to track what you knew at some time in the past, only what you know right now.

How do you open the box?
- Break the seal on one side. You could use a knife, a pair of scissors, or even just your thumbnail.

Where do you place Solar Radiation / the Mercury locations?
- Anywhere you like. The physical layout of location cards doesn't actually matter. (Locations, p8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Frequently Asked Questions
Hi Joe,

nice idea... let us collect all questions from the forums and summarize them here... and then let us make a pdf file...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please not all of the questions, particularly those that can be answered simply by reading the rules. Just the frequently asked ones and those requiring clarification. Otherwise the list gets out of hand.

Thanks for doing this Joe.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great FAQ!

I am amazed by how much you care about the people playing your game, Joe. thumbsup

On suggestion though:

buffalohat wrote:

How do you open the box?
- Break the seal on one side. You could use a knife, a pair of scissors, or even just your thumbnail.

Move this to the top of the FAQ. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
Please not all of the questions, particularly those that can be answered simply by reading the rules. Just the frequently asked ones and those requiring clarification. Otherwise the list gets out of hand.

Most of these can actually be answered by reading the rules, actually. It's just that they keep being asked so often...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say include anything you think comes up often enough to justify it Joe. And keep putting them in the first message so it's really easy to find them. (You know you can edit that post right? So you can add/change as much as you like).

Thanks for the great support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"What components do you need to perform a maneuver?"
At least one component must be left to make up the spacecraft after all rockets have been fired, but this doesn't have to be a capsule or a probe: it could be a sample, or another rocket.

Can you survey Solar Radiation from Suborbital Flight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
"What components do you need to perform a maneuver?"
At least one component must be left to make up the spacecraft after all rockets have been fired, but this doesn't have to be a capsule or a probe: it could be a sample, or another rocket.

No, you can perform a maneuver that consumes your entire spacecraft. A common example of this: launching a single rocket with nothing else aboard, just to test that rocket advancement.

Firedrake wrote:

No. What would lead you to think otherwise, out of curiosity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Firedrake wrote:

It seemed to be missing from the description of what you could survey from where.

As for consuming the whole spacecraft, that's possibly worth mentioning explicitly. I realise that "everything which isn't prohibited is allowed", but for some players it's helpful to say "yes, you can do this". I've already seen people assume that a sample return needs a probe to carry it, which was why I posted what I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
buffalohat wrote:
Firedrake wrote:

It seemed to be missing from the description of what you could survey from where.

As for consuming the whole spacecraft, that's possibly worth mentioning explicitly. I realise that "everything which isn't prohibited is allowed", but for some players it's helpful to say "yes, you can do this". I've already seen people assume that a sample return needs a probe to carry it, which was why I posted what I did.

As soon as I understand the misunderstanding, I'd be happy to clarify things further. (Which is why I'm asking these questions, just to better understand the situation you're describing -- not to give you grief or complain!)

So why would a player think you could survey Solar Radiation with a spacecraft in Suborbital Flight? I'm having a hard time imagining any misunderstanding that would lead to that.

I'm also not sure I'm understanding the other case you're describing. Are you talking about players thinking that you can't have a spacecraft consisting of just a single rocket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Artymorty wrote:

Most of these can actually be answered by reading the rules, actually. It's just that they keep being asked so often...

Topic could be renamed "Commonly missed rules."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
So why would a player think you could survey Solar Radiation with a spacecraft in Suborbital Flight? I'm having a hard time imagining any misunderstanding that would lead to that.

Perhaps there is some confusion with Surveying from Earth Orbit? Several players indicated surprise that Solar Radiation could be surveyed. Like Sub Orbital Flight, the hazard only affects astronauts so it seems some players thought that like Sub Orbital Flight a manned mission is required to reveal it. If a player jumps in having read only the condensed rules they could also be led astray as those rules indicate that Survey "lets you look at any location that can be reached in one maneuver" and Solar Radiation can't be "reached" in the standard sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules, pretty easy, but the second I sat down I drew a blank on what to do, and remembered nothing. Anyway...

Stupid question #1: Is Suborbital Flight considered "Space"? Sounding Rocket says space, and I wasn't sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Stupid question #1: Is Suborbital Flight considered "Space"? Sounding Rocket says space, and I wasn't sure.

Yes - only Earth is not considered "space".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Someone else asked this but it never got answered. If I send a probe to Suborbital with Three Juno Rockets, do I flip one or three cards to determine success? One for each rocket? I assume, since it's one mission, you only flip one card to determine success.

2. Man In Orbit mission card says "Man to Earth Orbit and Back." Let's say I get him to orbit, and everything but the landing is successful, do I complete the mission? I assume not, but I can't find in the rules that the capsule and astronaut have to survive in order for it to be successful and get VPs.

3. Making sure I got this right, I need Atlas Rockets, Re-Entry, and Landing Advancements in order to complete the Man To Orbit and Back mission, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Artymorty wrote:

Could I suggest referencing the page number of the rule book in the FAQ?

When I've answered other players' questions, I always try to include the page number, and sometimes it can be hard to find it, even when you know the rule. (This seems to be true of ANY rule book!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
1. Someone else asked this but it never got answered. If I send a probe to Suborbital with Three Juno Rockets, do I flip one or three cards to determine success? One for each rocket? I assume, since it's one mission, you only flip one card to determine success.

Read what the Juno advancement says to see when you draw an outcome:
"Draw random outcome when: Juno rocket fired"
That means you draw an outcome for each Juno rocket you fire. (And you do it one at a time -- you don't draw all three at once.)

patton55 wrote:
2. Man In Orbit mission card says "Man to Earth Orbit and Back." Let's say I get him to orbit, and everything but the landing is successful, do I complete the mission? I assume not, but I can't find in the rules that the capsule and astronaut have to survive in order for it to be successful and get VPs.

You do have to get your astronaut back home alive. If the astronaut dies on the way home, it doesn't count. (page 12)

patton55 wrote:
3. Making sure I got this right, I need Atlas Rockets, Re-Entry, and Landing Advancements in order to complete the Man To Orbit and Back mission, correct?

Close. You do need some kind of rocket advancement -- though it could be Atlas, Soyuz, or Saturn. You need Re-Entry, because there's a reentry hazard on the maneuver from Earth Orbit to Earth. You don't need Landing, though.

If you look at the maneuver from Earth Orbit to Earth, you'll see the landing hazard symbol in parentheses. This means that the hazard is optional; you can choose to ignore it if you like. Thematically, you can safely use parachutes to land on Earth, so you don't have to practice landing in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joe!

Automatic Maneuvers, kind of confused, it says on p.23, "If a maneuver leads to lost, the spacecraft is destroyed." I have no idea what that means or how this exactly relates to all the Lost! Symbols on the locations.

Man in Orbit and Man in Space can be BOTH completed by the same mission. If I send a guy to Earth Orbit and back do I complete both at the same time? Or do I have to do a different mission for each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Automatic Maneuvers, kind of confused, it says on p.23, "If a maneuver leads to lost, the spacecraft is destroyed." I have no idea what that means or how this exactly relates to all the Lost! Symbols on the locations.

If you are, at the end of the year turn (thanks, Michel!), in a space with an automatic (!) maneuvre, this maneuvre is performed, hum, automatically (you can perform it voluntarily before that). If that maneuvre is titled "Lost", you lose the spacecraft.
"Lost" is a maneuvre target just like any other, but leads to a location somewhere in space (off-map, it does not matter where exactly) where you do no have access to your spacecraft anymore.

Quote:
Man in Orbit and Man in Space can be BOTH completed by the same mission. If I send a guy to Earth Orbit and back do I complete both at the same time? Or do I have to do a different mission for each?

You can fulfill multiple missions on the same flight. That's what the Soviets did when they sent Yuri Gagarin up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:

Every maneuver leads somewhere, even if it's somewhere you don't want to go. If you're in Lunar Fly-By, for example, there are four maneuvers available, leading to: Earth Orbit, Lunar Orbit, the Moon, and Lost.
If you take the first path, you end up in Earth Orbit. If you take the last, your spacecraft is lost.
Since that maneuver is automatic, your spacecraft will perform it at the end of your turn -- if you're still in Lunar Fly-By, that is.

patton55 wrote:

You complete Man in Orbit when an astronaut who has been to Earth Orbit returns to Earth. You complete Man in Space when an astronaut who has been to space returns to Earth. If you happen to complete those at the same time with the same astronaut, that's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for all the help. I swear, the rulebook is easy, but all the information isn't always where it seems it should be. (Tough task, I know, with a rulebook).

I just want to double check, unless the Mission card says "Man" on it then I assume you can complete that mission without an astronaut? For example, "Working Probe on Ceres" mission, you can fly there, land, all without having to have any human along.

Part of what is tripping me up, is the Mission cards are clear and very precise, to the point where I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd almost like a Mission Card Glossary or something, where examples could be given of what you might need for the mission, or how basically you might attempt it. I know p.12 talks about the kinds of missions, but doesn't steer you on how to do it. Again, that's the joy of discovery of a new game and I'll figure it out eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To complete a mission, you just need to do what it says. So if it says "Working probe/capsule on Ceres", then you need to get a working probe or capsule on Ceres. There's no requirement to do anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
Quote:

If you are, at the end of the year turn, in a space with an automatic (!) maneuvre, this maneuvre is performed, hum, automatically (you can perform it voluntarily before that). If that maneuvre is titled "Lost", you lose the spacecraft.

I just recently learned the thing marked in red. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Mori
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for this.

As it seems that this has been asked multiple times, I would also add a Q to stress that the only requirement for rendevous is the number of seats for the astronauts. No additional requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tschichold wrote:
Thanks for this.

As it seems that this has been asked multiple times, I would also add a Q to stress that the only requirement for rendevous is the number of seats for the astronauts. No additional requirements.

It's already on the FAQ -- first question under Components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.