Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After one play, I found Apples to Apples very Boring. Here's why:

The Experience:
During a 3-day gaming weekend, I started a game of Apples to Apples with 11 players. The players all knew each other pretty well and enjoy all kinds of games but none are "hardcore" gamers. Since not everyone could reach the table, we couldn't use the speed rules but nobody ever took more than 5 seconds to decide anyway. The rules were explained and understood by all in about 3 minutes which was the shortest amount of time for any game played that weekend. Everyone 'got it' by the time the first green card was won. As the turns played out, I expected to hear laughter as the cards were read and comments made about them. But there was no laughter because the red cards just weren't funny. I could tell that many of the players were trying to have fun-- there were always a few totally random red cards submitted and when judging, most of the players added suspense and made comments about the submissions, but none of it worked. There just wasn't anything to laugh about, and with 11 players, the chance of your card being chosen is so low that there really isn't much hope for that either.

The good:
I was able to wander out of the circle to take care of some host duties without breaking the game. I just took my hand with me and handed in a card each round.

The bad:
The game wasn't fun to play nor was it fun to watch. All you do is listen for a green card to be read, then turn in a red card and listen to everyone's red card being read. And then eventually, it is over-- thank god.

The future:
During and after play I thought about what circumstances would lead to the hilarity that I had expected from this game. I think that playing with far fewer players would help the game for 2 reasons. First, there would be a little more excitement since players might be forced to choose a card in 1 second rather than 5 seconds and second, there would be a greater chance that a particular player's card would be chosen each round. I would say 5 or 6 players would be a good number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, beer helps this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to find that the judges make the game. If the judges are just describing the red and green cards, the game will be dull. Judges who can describe exactly why Black Holes are neater than Americans and the industrial revolution but not as neat as eyes, make this game a gem in my collection. I'd recommend reducing hand size if the judges selection isnt interesting enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Bartel
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
The game becomes much funnier and enjoyable when two green cards are played each round to match. The single green card rounds seem pretty stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpinnion wrote:
I tend to find that the judges make the game. If the judges are just describing the red and green cards, the game will be dull. Judges who can describe exactly why Black Holes are neater than Americans and the industrial revolution but not as neat as eyes, make this game a gem in my collection. I'd recommend reducing hand size if the judges selection isnt interesting enough.

Actually, I find it is the player's responsibility to convince the judge of the validity of their cards.

I find this game is all about the players. You need to get a good group of people with a particularly twisted sense of humor, and then it just clicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"there were always a few totally random red cards submitted"

After a few games of Apples to Apples, I found that this was happening quite often, even with a lot fewer than 11 players. It gets tedious and boring seeing a bunch of unrelated cards over and over, and I think this is the key flaw of the game. Maybe there are so many expansion cards now that it is tough to make as many connections. Let's face it, what are the odds of Lake Wobegone and Garrison Keilor coming up at the same time when you are playing with all the expansion cards mixed together. Or maybe my group just isn't creative enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.