Tony Armada
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Any idea on whether or when it will be possible to purchase another set of fate decks. Mine are pretty worn out already.

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
GMT sells them. $16 for all three decks. Not on their order page yet, so you might have to call them directly. But I have heard mention of folks purchasing such decks already.

PS - Put the replacement cards in card protectors so they last longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first received the game, I put the cards in card protectors. I then played my first game and cursed the card protectors. It was a pain to shuffle, and the decks were taller leading to a greater chance of spillage.

So, I've removed the card protectors, but I haven't played my second game yet.

Now I hear people are already wearing out their decks, so maybe I'll put them back in the protectors again. Argh!

How do you shuffle a "protected" deck? Are some protectors better than others for this purpose? To they make a reliable machine to shuffle cards that are in protector sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, some sleeves are better than others.

The soft sleeves (thin, 100 for $1 type) do protect the cards, but are the hardest to riffle shuffle primarily due to the softness of the sleeve - all to easy to riffle a card into another sleeve. For these sleeves, I find an old-fashioned "overhand" shuffle works best. Cut the deck in two, lay one half of the deck against the other and gently force the cards together. The soft sleeves help "lubricate" the interleaving action resulting in a reasonable shuffle.

Better are the stiffer, more rigid deck protectors like Chad/Kai were using last weekend. These are easier to riffle shuffle and their stiffness also helps keep the cards from getting bent. But with a thicker, stiffer set of cards - need to practice shuffling those decks a bit more, but with practice you can do it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not hard to shuffle the cards with the soft sleeves. Just cut the deck in half as if shuffling it regularly. Hold one half of the deck vertically then slide the other half in starting with the corner. I know it takes a while to get used to, but so is learning how to do the bridge to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, catch me at the next "Combat Commander Day" at EndGame and I'll demonstrate how we shuffle with the card protectors. John Paul is describing it accurately, but some things make more sense when you see them in action.

Another good method - pile shuffling. I make an odd number of piles (usually five or seven, depending on how much table space I have available) and keep distributing cards into each pile until you have run out of cards. Then stack the piles on top of each other to reform the deck. If I have put my deck in card # order for some reason, I always pile shuffle before doing the regular shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Better are the stiffer, more rigid deck protectors like Chad/Kai were using last weekend.

Can you tell me what brand and type of protectors they used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can you tell me what brand and type of protectors they used?

I was using Ultra Pro and Card-Barrier (a Japanese brand)- didn't have enough at home to sleeve all three decks the same. The Ultra Pros have a silver dot on the front that annoys me a bit, but doesn't get in the way of any card info. The C-B brand is just plain, no logo dots or anything, but I find the edges catch each other a tiny bit when I side-shuffle.

I believe EngGame sells both brands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Armada
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody!!!

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use BCW "magic" size card sleeves. I get them through an ebay seller, "wkucards". Do a search on ebay for "BCW Magic Card Sleeves". Do not get the Yu-Gi-Oh sized sleeves, as they won't fit the CC:E cards.

The BCW sleeves come in about ten different colors, are reasonably priced, and not too hard to shuffle. Wkucards is also a very reliable seller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to reiterate what Phil said: make sure that you do NOT get the cards sleeves made for yu-gi-oh - they will be too small for CC cards (and for every other CDG on the market, I believe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draco Lung
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
I'd like to reiterate what Phil said: make sure that you do NOT get the cards sleeves made for yu-gi-oh - they will be too small for CC cards (and for every other CDG on the market, I believe).

Not War of the Ringsauron...Not only did they make the font on the cards extra small, but they also made the cards too small to fit in any sleeve without slipping around...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lim
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, Yu-gi-oh card protectors are the perfect size for Blue Moon City.

I've been using Dragon Shields. Probably the most expensive protectors on the market at the moment, but they're very high quality and very durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RPardoe wrote:
GMT sells them. $16 for all three decks. Not on their order page yet, so you might have to call them directly. But I have heard mention of folks purchasing such decks already.

PS - Put the replacement cards in card protectors so they last longer.

Hi Richard, can I ask you where did you get that information?
I'd like to buy a spare set, and yes I already use protector sleeves, but you can't imagine the card damaging events that happen during my CC sessions.

I mailed GMT some days ago, but did not get answer so far.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I had heard this from several folks who had purchased replacement cards. I just called GMT and they confirm - $16 will purchase a set of replacement cards.

Phone calls seem to reach GMT easily (but realize that might be difficult for you) - so hopefully they will get to your e-mail soon. Alternatively - might want to submit an order online and indicate in the comment field what you wish to order. (Probably easier to do if you plan to order something else also.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RPardoe wrote:
so hopefully they will get to your e-mail soon.

That's it. Just received a reply from a very kind GMT employee who processed my order thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.