Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you damage a NPC ship but don't destroy it? Does it carry around the damage cubes; making it easier pickings next time it's attacked? Or does it just ignore damage insufficient to blow it up?

If it carries around the damage cubes, how does it get rid of them? Does it repair automatically when it ends it's turn on a planet? Does it pay for repairs and if do, how much?

This is probably in the rules somewhete& staring me in the face ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NPCs don't repair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
NPC's do not repair, they carry around that damage until someone eventually takes them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've noiced the explanation in the rules now. I'm thinking of house-ruling that NPC ships repair when they finish a turn on a planet. That happens a lot for the Merchant; the Scoundrel periodically returns to Loath and the Enforcer sometimes travels to Lawful planets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why fix what isn't broken? [pun intended]

If you have them repair, you're going to screw up the dynamic of route/location changes for NPCs on respawn (by virtue of them dying less frequently and far less often until later in the game). This changes the balance of the entire game, diminishing combat and the "outlaw path" in favor of the already strong trade and exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe.

It would make it harder to whack the Merchant, which tends to visit planets in quick succession. I'm not sure it makes much difference to the Enforcer,who only visits lawful planets when there's no target. Not sure about the Scoundrel, who heads back to Loath after each attack, but may or may not get there.

The idea of damage cubes sitting on NPC ships in perpetuity (or until they get killed) offends my aesthetics; but if it's essential to game balance that they lug this damage around (is it? is it really?) then best not to change things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
So are the NPC's paying for these repairs?

I wouldn't say it's essential for game balance, but I don't see a need to change it either. The way it works now creates a pretty good atmosphere for the game. It neither encourages or discourages targeting NPCs. While playing that way is a perfectly viable way to win the game, it would be a fairly strong deterrent if they were repairing all the time.

You say it offends your aesthetics, but changing it offends mine in several ways. First, are they getting this for free. Second, are you playing with the NPCs exactly as written, but only repair when they happen to end on a planet? If I was going to have NPCs repair, then I would feel the need to add a rule where if they have X% damage to their ship, they will actively seek repairs.

I'm all for houserules, but they need to be heavily tested... and each one will only be useful for a small amount of people. I'd probably opt for something simple, like remove 1pt of damage every time an NPC activates. Eventually they would fully repair, but it wouldn't largely affect anything when they were actively being hunted, by one or more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.