Subject: Union naval transport to still Southern controlled ports. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles kobold
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
One of my opponents is using standard Union naval ocean transport (at a cost of one action point for stack moved) to transport a single Union SP to take the small non fortified blockade runner ports that the South cannot afford to garrison (like Jacksonville and the North Carolina tidewater areas). Is this allowed? Or does he need to use an action card to initiate an amphibious assault? Thanks for any input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Victory Games fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: The Jam fanMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: Mark Herman fan
I believe he needs to use an action card to do this (Basic Game 20.5.1), when the hex is enemy controlled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game - Tovak fanMicrobadge: Cataclysm:  A Second World War fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Western PlayerMicrobadge: Earthrise - most beautiful spectacle in the solar system
From Basic Game Naval rules:

Quote:
(20.5.1) In General: An Amphibious Assault is a Naval Transport
action that ends in an enemy-controlled or enemy-occupied hex.
An Amphibious Assault is only allowed if the stack is activated
for Naval Transport using a Naval or “Any” Special Action Card.
Unlike Naval Transport, an Amphibious Assault may enter one
enemy controlled hex or hexside where friendly naval control does
not exist in order to land at the target hex, but it may never bypass
such a hex or hexside.
So your opponent would need a Naval or Any SA card.

As Mike notes, the Advanced game would be different, see 20.7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles kobold
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
I see. Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like in the game we are playing with advanced naval rules he is allowed to do what he is doing. So my small ports are going to get nailed pretty quick it seems. However all my fortresses are still intact (including NO). And I took Columbus in KY and have a fort there with batteries and a gunboat and a finished ironclad (two finished in three turns!). Vicksburg is also fortified and Fort Donelson is now a fortress too. I also have a large army around Bowling Green. East is stagnant. Curtis is close to Little Rock but supply is tough for the Union in the Trans. I'm slightly ahead on the attrition curve too. So things aren't too bad for the South. I'll have to sock away a couple of spare sps here and there to counterattack those small ports. Thanks again for the advice.

My opponents and I are really into this game. I was always real big into VGs Civil War and he was real big into For the People so this is right up both of our alleys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game - Tovak fanMicrobadge: Cataclysm:  A Second World War fanMicrobadge: Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe - Western PlayerMicrobadge: Earthrise - most beautiful spectacle in the solar system
Sounds like you got it right. The undefended ports can fall quickly; OTOH, there might be opportunities to reclaim them if the Union leaves them ungarrisoned and/or unentrenched.

Also, for the NC Tidewater areas, the Union does have to take Hatteras Inlet first and any subsequent invasions will need to be staged from there. Might have given a bit of a pause.

Historically, the Union did shut these small ports down, so keeping them as the CSA is more of a bonus.

It sounds like you guys are having a good time--can't wait to get this on the table myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Cosmology enthusiastMicrobadge: Battalion Combat Series Fan
Keep in mind that most of those small ports do not provide VPs. Since action points are limited, there is a trade-off. Finding a nice balance between the ground and naval campaigns is one of the more interesting puzzles - and it creates a similar puzzle for the CSA in defending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!Microbadge: Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire fanMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Soccer fan
Feralkoala wrote:
[...] and any subsequent invasions will need to be staged from there.
I don't think that is completely accurate. New Bern is an Ocean Port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles kobold
United States
Casper
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Yeah I hear ya. What brought about his decision to take the small ports was the fact on turn three I got three 10 supply results from the blockade runners. That, coupled with three arsenals and four bps from KY hexes I invaded on turn 2 helped push me over 130 (even with his taking of WV and the northern Shenandoah valley). So I got twelve sps (probably for the last time in the game). I'm watching that attrition curve very closely. I love the supply rules in the game. Difference between limited and full after battle, the difficulty in going too far in the Trans area, and the need to follow those navigable rivers and railroads. Excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Quote:
Perhaps. This has been raised on CSW and we're hoping for a definitive answer. In any event, you certainly can't directly invade Newbern unless Hatteras Inlet is friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Card-Driven Wargames fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors series fanMicrobadge: Federation Commander fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fan
Feralkoala wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps. This has been raised on CSW and we're hoping for a definitive answer. In any event, you certainly can't directly invade Newbern unless Hatteras Inlet is friendly.
New Bern and Roanoke (both Ocean Ports) can be directly accessed by Ocean Transport from any Union-controlled Atlantic or Gulf Ocean Port/Coastal Fort (that is not blocked by a Confederate-control Coastal Fort) once Hatteras Inlet is under Union Control. Mark has confirmed this to be the case.

4. Assuming Union control of any relevant Coastal Forts, which, if any, of the following ports associated with solid Tidal River Paths can be directly reached by Ocean Transport from any Union-controlled Ocean Port on the Atlantic or Gulf: Biloxi? Pascagoula? Mobile? Blakely? New Bern? Hampton? Urbanna? Aquia Station? Washington? Annapolis? Baltimore? Some of these are Ocean Ports and some River Ports, yet all are connected to solid Tidal River Paths that are supposed to support Ocean Transport per 20.4.

—Only those ports which have an Ocean Port symbol are accessible via Ocean Transport.

See http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddabee3/2642

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Thanks for posting that Jim! Mark has done a good job of clearing things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls