19 Posts

Deep Space D-6» Forums » Rules

Subject: PNP card Solar winds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Solar Winds supposed to have a number in the triangle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It cannot be attacked.

It just sits around and waits to activate. I usually put it above all the other threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I think it's the only exterior w/o a number.
Looks like all interiors are w/o number and all exteriors have them.
For consistancy you might consider changing the card type.
It would also avoid questions like I just had.
Again, awesome game. I'm glad I Backed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
For consistency you might consider changing the card type.
Change it to an internal threat, do you mean? Wouldn't be very thematic, having "internal" solar winds. Unless you'd just had the bean burrito for lunch, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
njshaw2 wrote:
N0mE wrote:
Change it to an internal threat, do you mean? Wouldn't be very thematic, having "internal" solar winds. Unless you'd just had the bean burrito for lunch, of course...
As the game stands at the moment, it needs to remain an External Threat because it needs to be completed before you can win the game.

If it gets changed to an Internal Threat then the game can end (with a win) with it still sitting there.

Creating a third type of threat just to accommodate one card isn't worth the complexity in new rules (even if it's just an extra paragraph).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Creating a third type of threat just to accommodate one card isn't worth the complexity in new rules (even if it's just an extra paragraph).
I agree, it should remain an external threat (if nothing else for thematic reasons!).

But it may be worth a note in the rulebook somewhere as to what to do with a numberless external threat, as first few times I played, I did wonder where it should be placed and in what order it should be checked/activated during the threat phase [currently I would check it after Internal threats but before any other External threats].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
xris wrote:
I agree, it should remain an external threat (if nothing else for thematic reasons!).

But it may be worth a note in the rulebook somewhere as to what to do with a numberless external threat, as first few times I played, I did wonder where it should be placed and in what order it should be checked/activated during the threat phase [currently I would check it after Internal threats but before any other External threats].
re-reading the rules, I like that its an external that you can't attack. But a note should be made about its uniqueness in the game.
Also, I wasn't suggesting keeping the card flavor if it was changed to an internal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I think the idea is to have a small section in the rules which detail cards such as Threats. At the moment in the PnP rules there is a section for such cards, called, not surprisingly "Special Threats".

At the moment it doesn't include Solar Wind but there is no reason why it can't be added.

I would like to see some of this information on the cards themselves (clearly not everything can be placed on the cards but some of it can).

An example (for me) would be for the...
Nebula card to include "Reduce Health of this threat by 1. When destroyed set shields to 0." on the card.
Distracted card to include "Immediately place a unit on the ? space".
Time Warp card to include "A threat can never exceed its starting health value".

These comments could be in italics and / or a smaller font. That's up to Tony if he wants to do this of course but I suspect he doesn't. My impression is that he thinks that once the player has read the rules he will never forget these comments and therefore there is no need for the info to be on the cards. My view is that some players (if not the majority) don't have perfect memories and simply won't remember all the small exceptions and details, certainly not after a period of time not playing the game. They might not even be aware (i.e. remember) there is a better description elsewhere. Flicking back to the rulebook to check during a game is a distraction and something that could be avoided if the relevant info is on the cards.

Now clearly there will be cards that do need further explanation but I see no reason not to try and minimise the times the rulebook is needed during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you guys have it pretty much correct.

The print and play ruleset was a tight fit to get everything to fit on a single page. I'll have more room in the official rulebook for clarifications.

I'm not sure yet what I can add to the Solar Winds to make it clearer. It has to be external (though I would hate for someone to have to sit and wait for it to happen as the last external threat).

What if I gave it a health value (either 1 or 4) and then say on the card that it cannot be attacked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
What if I gave it a health value (either 1 or 4) and then say on the card that it cannot be attacked?
I guess you could give it a health value of infinity (using the infinity symbol) to indicate that there's no point in attacking it as it won't ever go away? At least then it'll have a "value", albeit one that doesn't fit in any of the threat health level slots.

By the way, I'm assuming that you can use the status beam to "freeze" it for a turn's Threat Phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
njshaw2 wrote:
I guess you could give it a health value of infinity
And Beyond, surely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Horror Leader wrote:
I'm not sure yet what I can add to the Solar Winds to make it clearer. It has to be external (though I would hate for someone to have to sit and wait for it to happen as the last external threat).
It should happen about 10% to 20% of games played I would imagine. If Solar Winds only turns up in the last six cards or so cards (which will be about 15% of the time on Medium difficulty) then there is a good chance that a 2 will not be rolled on the Threat die before the game ends.

It happened in the game I played last night. Since the ship was in good shape I just claimed the win. I had some Internal Threats still outstanding but I wasn't going to roll the crew and threat dice ad infinitum waiting for a 2 to be rolled. Once I had the hull back to full strength I claimed the win.

It is possible (with something like Invaders or Robot Uprising) that you could still lose the game by running out of dice to roll. You would have to be unlucky with the dice rolls but it is possible.
Horror Leader wrote:
That would raise as many problems as leaving the icon blank.

If I saw a Health value then I would be puzzled as to why it would need one if it couldn't be attacked. I would be trying to figure out why in the world it would have a Health and assume that I must have some rules wrong because otherwise it would make no sense.

I think you leave it blank (i.e. as it is) and just have an entry in the rulebook about it.

njshaw2 wrote:
By the way, I'm assuming that you can use the status beam to "freeze" it for a turn's Threat Phase?
Definitely. It's a Threat, so therefore it can be status'ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I gave it a health value (either 1 or 4) and then say on the card that it cannot be attacked?
Could you give it a health of 4 then add that I can't be attacked unless it's the last external card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a fix for the scenarios where it is the last threat in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
Check out My Games!
badge
YouTube/MadLadDesigns
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps anything not a (threat) ship could be called a Global Event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
I've got a fix for the scenarios where it is the last threat in a game.

Care to share Tony? I played my first game this morning, and this exact scenario came up. My ship was in great shape, so I approached the problem in the same way Chris did. With no more threats to deal with, I figured I had my full crew working on nothing but a solution to the solar wind problem, so i ended the game. But I'd love to hear how you tied up this potential loose end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
It just sits around and waits to activate. I usually put it above all the other threats.
Does that count as an official ruling?

I just had a case where the position of the Solar Winds card made a significant difference.

I had full shields but limited hull strength. Solar Winds (-5 Hull then discard) and Bounty Ship (Destroy all shields then -1 Hull) are active external threats. I had the misfortune to roll a 2.

If the Solar Winds activates first then I survive, but if the Bounty Ship strips my shields first, then I'm toast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I get distracted ea - SQUIRREL!Microbadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: I sleeve everythingMicrobadge: I survived the Mayan apocalypse
njshaw2 wrote:
N0mE wrote:
But then they're not solar winds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
N0mE wrote:
But then they're not solar winds.
Maybe not the source, but likely the same strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls