London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

for those who have read the rules for Solo play:

These cards have, among others, the following two characteristics:

Threat
Defines the criteria to select which heroes the Overlord will target this turn (the weaker, the wounded, the spell casters, etc)

Order
Define what the Overlord will be doing (attacking, pinning the heroes in the front arc of enemies, bringing the enemies closer to the heroes, etc)

I am right to think that for the surround and support orders (and maybe pinning, depending on your interpretation), the threat is irrelevant?

I mean, if the the order is to attack, the threat will be used to decide whom the Overlord will be attacking to. Fine with this one.

However, if the order is to surround, the explanation for this is that the Overlord will try to block exits.

The support order is about approaching monsters to the heroes.

These two orders do not target specific heroes, hence, I don't know how I should be applying the threat here.
Maybe, if the monsters cannot block all the exits, they should try to block at least the ones closer to the threatening hero?... mmmm... I guess it has to be that...

Also, in the very last paragraph of page 80, I don't understand what it says about one card taking precedence over something else.

And I struggled to figure out that in this same paragraph, the adventure-defined Number refers to the number of Commands each adventure grants to the Overlord each turn.

As minor comments, I think the naming of the concepts in the cards could be better. For example, labeling the amount of monsters the overlord can activate number seems to me as not very descriptive. Labeling number a number is not qualifying anything at all.

Also, the ordering of the concepts in the card does not follow how they are used in time as the turn progresses. I think it should be Interrupt, Number, Order and Threat.

I understand the difficulty of writing solo rules and maybe I am being very nit-picking.
I think these solo rules are sophisticated and I'd say I will like them when I'll play with them.
But, I'm not sure whether my expectations were too high, or the execution and design of the cards, as well as the explanation of solo play (not a single example) seem a bit unpolished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
I honestly think the best way to try to figure this out is to take the to intro missions in the base game and try to play them.

With only two heroes it will be faster to figure out the threat, the monster first start with only combat dice and they all have the same character. Ofcourse undead looks like a nasty character as it says if their is a tie in determining who acts they all do. I might ignore that on the first try through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
And I struggled to figure out that in this same paragraph, the adventure-defined Number refers to the number of Commands each adventure grants to the Overlord each turn.

This is correct. The first card represents the overlords normal actions. The second card drawn represents the affect of the overlord playing a extra command card.

I think for support and surround you give priority to influencing the highest threat. Say for support and you have two piles of bones near but not next in free strike range with two heros you would first raise the pile of bones near the highest threat hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Granollers
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Me too honestly. I don't know what it means.

Btw can be campaigns missions played with solo rules? How do you do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vetter
Denmark
Hilleroed
flag msg tools
crusher100 wrote:

Me too honestly. I don't know what it means.

Btw can be campaigns missions played with solo rules? How do you do it?

Yes they can. Just play them with the IO deck. It's lots of fun. Remember to include the IO cards from the valandor expansion as these are special Necromantic IO cards that works with the undeads.
Play the two intro scenarios before beginning the real campaign.

I inforce a timer on the quests as in the campaign book. Simply take the number of overlord cards and subtract 2. This is the number of rounds you have to complete the objective (track it with a seperate timer - it has nothing to do with the IO deck). I would also recommend adding the extra campaign rules at the end of the quest book. Gives some extra secondary objectives and an XP system to give you a little bonus for defeating monsters.
Finally, wait using custom heroes and the campaign system in the AC. Try with the pre-defined progression of heroes as presented in the quest book first. That way you'll get confy with the solo-rules before adding your own heroes.

I say this solo system i great. If you reach som ambigiouties just go with what provides the most fun/challenging experience for you. Afterall, having fun is the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:

This is correct. The first card represents the overlords normal actions. The second card drawn represents the affect of the overlord playing a extra command card.

I still don't get this. If you're playing uncharted against an IO, there is no "adventure-defined Number" because there's no pre-made adventure. What do you do then? Just use the IO card value after all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
kvezner wrote:
eriochrome wrote:

I still don't get this. If you're playing uncharted against an IO, there is no "adventure-defined Number" because there's no pre-made adventure. What do you do then? Just use the IO card value after all?

Use a number that's balanced with the enemies you chose. 3 seems to be a good number to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.