Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've never played Werewolf or One Night. However, I just picked up a copy for larger gathers, and it looks delightful. One question remains in my conception of how it plays out, however:

I get that the werewolves are active during the night phase, and the day phase is pretty much where everybody tries to determine who is or is not a werewolf. On the part of the villagers, is there any "game" to this determination? For instance, in the Resistance you can watch the behavior of the other players on missions, and in normal Werewolf (I believe) the wolves actively kill villagers at night.

In this version, is there anything to go on from the night phase, or is it all just blind accusations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the game is

1: Figure out which team you're on
2: Be on the winning team

Tell the truth, lie, bluff, watch reactions and determine how you were affected by whatever happened at Night, and who to lynch to win.

Definitely not a game where your best is a blind guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is all about claiming. Do the claims make sense based on what you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with a new group, claim that you're Troublemaker and that you've swapped cards of players A and B. If one of them was a Werewolf, chances are that he will spill the beans. Kill that Werewolf and teach him not to trust you again.
Bonus: make sure you are not a Werewolf before doing that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

In this version, is there anything to go on from the night phase, or is it all just blind accusations?
There is information to go on from the night phase - seer, wolf, troublemaker, insomniac - these roles all have information. When/if they share their information can impact outcomes and claims from other people. Once players realize this, there are times (as both good and evil player) to false claim some roles/actions to push people into revealing information, or to muddy the waters and obscure information. Then the trick of the game is sorting through all the information and seeing if you can identify who is lying, who's telling the truth, and if you want to reveal your information or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
1: Figure out which team you're on
2: Be on the winning team

Tell the truth, lie, bluff, watch reactions and determine how you were affected by whatever happened at Night, and who to lynch to win.
This is key, and one thing I stress to new people when I'm teaching the game-- in direct contrast to something like the Resistance, where there is no real reason to lie if you're a good guy-- telling only the truth will lose you the game more often than not. You have to lie, bluff, tease out information; claim something you're not to see who immediately calls you out, tell everyone you're the Seer, but don't tell them what you saw just yet, if someone else lies and you know it (they claim your role, etc), let them run with it for awhile to see how deep a hole they can dig before you throw out the truth (and hope you can convince everyone else you're right)...

That's why this game has effectively replaced the resistance for me and most of my gaming friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls