Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

No Retreat! Italian Front: 1943-45» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Germans handily defend Sicily, wow! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My solo play of the Husky scenario ended tonight.



What I though was going to be a fairly secure victory for the Allies ended with them stonewalled many hexes away from Messina. The Germans managed to fortify the Island twice in the two turns following the initial invasion and then brought in two extra divisions to defend the northern mountain range. Those fort markers combined with the demolitions card were absolutely brutal during the last game turn. I got to go back and rethink my allied strategy for taking this Island.

A small balance thought, aren't the Germans going to defend this Island much more bitterly in the scenario than they would in the full campaign? In the scenario, there is no real threat of an Allied mainland invasion, so I felt compelled as the German player to commit every resource to this tiny Island. Although the same applies to the allies, it felt like the Germans got a lot more bang for their buck on the Island. Just three fort markers drastically changed the allied prospects' of reaching Messina.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... How were you able to build those forts so early? devil

[8.2.2] Fort Construction Start: You may not build Forts
before Game Turn 4 (see 26.2.2).


[26.2.2] Turn 4, Start Fort Builds: Starting this turn the
German player is allowed to build Fort markers (using his
“Fort” cards, one card per turn maximum).


Edit:

And in the Operation Husky Example of play, very first page of the example, Playbook, page 29:

... Next, the German player draws a replacement card, #18 republic of
salo. As per card #09’s instructions, he rolls a die; the
result is a “5”. Accordingly, the German player is instructed
to move one OB Süd unit into his Reserves Box
from the his Garrison Box, but alas these units are not
used in the scenario, so the Event has no effect. Most of
his other cards are not much help (except for #12), as
two have “roundel” icons, and one can’t be used as
there are no Fort builds allowed until Turn 4 (see 8.2.2)
.

Edit:

Forts notwithstanding, holding Sicily is not that easy past Turn 2, as the Allies will probably be able to do a major Invasion again on Turn 3, and all those units holed up in Sicily might just be cut-off from supply and surrender, causing a substantial VP loss; this is in part why I gave the Allies one extra Turn in the scenario since the other maps are not in play, to represent that possible threat.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Ok... How were you able to build those forts so early? :devil:

[8.2.2] Fort Construction Start: You may not build Forts
before Game Turn 4 (see 26.2.2).


[26.2.2] Turn 4, Start Fort Builds: Starting this turn the
German player is allowed to build Fort markers (using his
“Fort” cards, one card per turn maximum).


Edit:

And in the Operation Husky Example of play, very first page of the example, Playbook, page 29:

... Next, the German player draws a replacement card, #18 republic of
salo. As per card #09’s instructions, he rolls a die; the
result is a “5”. Accordingly, the German player is instructed
to move one OB Süd unit into his Reserves Box
from the his Garrison Box, but alas these units are not
used in the scenario, so the Event has no effect. Most of
his other cards are not much help (except for #12), as
two have “roundel” icons, and one can’t be used as
there are no Fort builds allowed until Turn 4 (see 8.2.2)
.

Edit:

Forts notwithstanding, holding Sicily is not that easy past Turn 2, as the Allies will probably be able to do a major Invasion again on Turn 3, and all those units holed up in Sicily might just be cut-off from supply and surrender, causing a substantial VP loss; this is in part why I gave the Allies one extra Turn in the scenario since the other maps are not in play, to represent that possible threat.
Ah, this is very good news in a way. I must admit that I was beginning to consider the use of balance altering optional rules for the allies. I'm a bit of a competitive player, so I prefer to play the base game whenever possible. In this case I might find the scenario well-balanced if I simply played it correctly. Imagine that? :)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eviltediz43 wrote:

Ah, this is very good news in a way. I must admit that I was beginning to consider the use of balance altering optional rules for the allies. I'm a bit of a competitive player, so I prefer to play the base game whenever possible. In this case I might find the scenario well-balanced if I simply played it correctly. Imagine that?
Right!

The game is not that hard to learn, the basics are pretty simple, BUT there are a lot of variables and many many factors to take into account while playing. IMHO this means it'll be a game hard to master, and you'll probably get game results that can vary a lot depending on how you play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
licinius wrote:
eviltediz43 wrote:

Ah, this is very good news in a way. I must admit that I was beginning to consider the use of balance altering optional rules for the allies. I'm a bit of a competitive player, so I prefer to play the base game whenever possible. In this case I might find the scenario well-balanced if I simply played it correctly. Imagine that?
Right!

The game is not that hard to learn, the basics are pretty simple, BUT there are a lot of variables and many many factors to take into account while playing. IMHO this means it'll be a game hard to master, and you'll probably get game results that can vary a lot depending on how you play.
Is that so wrong? whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightinlegalist1 wrote:
licinius wrote:
eviltediz43 wrote:

Ah, this is very good news in a way. I must admit that I was beginning to consider the use of balance altering optional rules for the allies. I'm a bit of a competitive player, so I prefer to play the base game whenever possible. In this case I might find the scenario well-balanced if I simply played it correctly. Imagine that?
Right!

The game is not that hard to learn, the basics are pretty simple, BUT there are a lot of variables and many many factors to take into account while playing. IMHO this means it'll be a game hard to master, and you'll probably get game results that can vary a lot depending on how you play.
Is that so wrong? whistle
Some gamers do not like it when things are too heady or difficult. They don't like a gourmet meal, but settle for cold gruel instead.

Mind you, I like gruel, but usually with some form of topping.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls