21 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: If I buy 3 core sets ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andi Huller
Germany
flag msg tools
... can I build 4 competitive decks. Of course I will have three offs of all houses but what about the neutral cards?

Are there sone that ate absolutely needed in every deck from a co petitive point of view? Do I need three copies of Littlefinger or the Spider in each deck?

And I hate moving cards around.

I wanted to do a Stark, Danny, Lannister with Tyrells, and Martel deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
Diviad wrote:
... can I build 4 competitive decks. Of course I will have three offs of all houses but what about the neutral cards?

Are there sone that ate absolutely needed in every deck from a co petitive point of view? Do I need three copies of Littlefinger or the Spider in each deck?

You'll have enough economy for 4 decks, no problem - as to whether you have 4 competitive (tournament) decks, it might be a bit tight. You might feel short a plot or two, or a few neutrals - although it's worth noting that Varys and Littlefinger both come as 2x in a core (so you'll have plenty there). I suspect you can do 3 tournament worthy decks, or 4 balanced decks that you hamper just a bit to get the balance. To raise that 4th deck to competitive, though, you may need 3-5 proxies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying 3 core sets = paying triple for a game. Don't buy into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Buying 3 core sets = paying triple for a game. Don't buy into it.
Wow, what an utterly ridiculous statement. You're not interested in LCGs, you don't like the distribution model - fine. But where do you get the nerve to just come into this game's forum and dump dismissive one-liners? The sheer amount of arrogance, rudeness and ignorance packed into those few words is staggering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Danev
Bulgaria
Dimitrovgrad/Plovdiv
Haskovo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...You will make FFG happy....

That statement and the one above about triple paying = FACTS. Facts are arrogant? Yeah...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YP
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Three core sets isn't any different than for example buying Dominion expansions. Both get you more cards to unlock new ways of playing the game. And price per card for both is pretty similar, at least here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helgard Muller
South Africa
flag msg tools
Diviad wrote:

I bought 3 cores to mostly try and hook my playgroup(s) with consistent decks. I ended up with these all fairly highly rated at thrones DB:

(1) Baratheon Fealty
http://www.thronesdb.com/decklist/view/197/bend-the-knee-bes....0

This is pretty much the template of the deck to beat and easy to pilot for noobs

(2) NW / Stark
http://www.thronesdb.com/decklist/view/366/night-s-watch-wol....0

Pretty good for melee and also a good deck to illustrate a more defensive game.

(3) Targaryen / Banner of Lion
http://www.thronesdb.com/decklist/view/383/hear-the-dragon-s....0

Simple and good all-round, giving a more board control flavour.

(4) Greyjoy / Banner of Rose

I just built a Greyjoy super rush deck that I play mostly myself. You can swap out for Banner of the Sun to use the Martell non-loyals to remove icons / commit characters to get easier unopposed opportunities.

I found that I could built all these decks as is...apart from a Roseroad and Milk or two. I have some 1.0 cards and just swapped those in, but not a lot was needed. The bigger problem is Hand's Judgement which a lot of the decks use. What I did was add a banner card in to proxy for those and making sure at least each deck has 1 Hand's Judgement.

I am fairly happy with this - all the Houses except 1 in the mix, diverse play styles and all competitive joust/melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 cores only = 3 milk of the poppy, 3 signet rings, 3 poison tears

other than those cards which are pretty strong right now in most decks you'll be fine

Every deck should have 3 milk of the poppy with the current card pool. You can always proxy for playing at home. It's only for tournaments you need real copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yorvog wrote:
Three core sets isn't any different than for example buying Dominion expansions. Both get you more cards to unlock new ways of playing the game. And price per card for both is pretty similar, at least here.
This is the best core set so far from FFG, there are only 26 wasted plots, and 12 wasted economy cards if building for one person (2 decks built at a time). Conquest had over 100+ wasted cards when you bought 3 cores. FFG makes it so you can try the game for 26$ or own it all for 77$ (online prices) or 40/120$ (MSRP). The beauty of the system is if you don't like it, you can sell your core to others that do like it with nothing wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Huller
Germany
flag msg tools
Okay, so I need 12 core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diviad wrote:
Okay, so I need 12 core sets.
You will also need 4 of each chapter pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Huller
Germany
flag msg tools
Where can I find lists of killer decks or watch being played. Unfortunately, the one from GenCon 2015 had weird construction restrictions. I have several copies of packs in Netrunner and W40K Conquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Microbadge: IPA Beer fan - Make it hoppyMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - ShadowsMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Diviad wrote:
Where can I find lists of killer decks or watch being played. Unfortunately, the one from GenCon 2015 had weird construction restrictions. I have several copies of packs in Netrunner and W40K Conquest.
YouTube. Throne Runner has awesome Game of Thrones and Netrunner content:

For example........... https://youtu.be/vWaIezqdKbc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
Diviad wrote:

A number of streamers, podcasts that share decklists, and deck construction sites are listed here: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10210-the-...

I strongly recommend you check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I've always wondered about playing these games long term is at what point do you not need to have purchased additional core sets?

Also I know this is moot, but how is a core set only game the 3rd highest ranked customizable game?

Not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baker
United States
Holt
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, why all the sudden hate for the 3 core set model and why bring it up here? Is this a new movement or something in the board game world? I think you need a Twitter feed for that. #onecorematters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't listen to the 3x core haters. They must not be LCG fans. Thrones has been the best core set yet in that there is very little waste per extra core set you buy since most cards are 1x per box. Therefore buying 3x core sets is well worth it for AGOT 2.0. The price is well worth the number of cards in the box. Also for the game to have a decent sized card pool with this many factions out the gate they needed to break it up in this fashion to keep the core box price point down (to encourage curious newcomers).

I had the same thought that this game would work well as a boxed game in the melee format so why not make 4 deck lists for a 4 player game to just hand casual people who aren't into deckbuilding.

The big issue is Milk Of The Poppy being a 1x include in the core. I feel like it needs to be in most decks at least as a 2x if not a 3x. Some characters can just run away with the board in this game and not all factions can easily pull off a targeted kill. Even the decks posted above all have 3x MotP so you need proxies to have them all built at the same time.

Maybe a better Thrones player can correct me and site alternate strategies, but especially in a casual environment I feel like that hard counter card is needed to level the playing field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn that Milk of the Poppy was 2x per core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. I just checked my box. I guess I was confusing that with Tears Of Lys, which is 1x. So is seems not hard after all to construct 2 to 3 reasonably competitive decks with one set of 3x cores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised too, to find I had 3 more milk of the poppies waiting to be used. Yes 3 cores lets you build 2 very strong decks, and maybe a third and fourth tier 1.5 decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls