Subject: New Player board organizers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
b adams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS asked me to make them some board organizers so that pieces would quit getting bumped around. Here's what I came up with.

They seemed pretty excited. I'm curious if anyone else has ever wanted something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this exists already
http://e-raptor.pl/terra_mystica_organizer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b adams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, so it does. Great minds think alike and all. Still for those on my side of the pond, that's a fairly expensive proposition even if they shipped to the US, which it looks like they don't. It looks like buying one of those would set me back $30 or so after shipping. I figured I could sell mine for half of that, easily.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/254549694/terra-mystica-board-o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
yay christmas coming early =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Designer & Inventor Emeritus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to set the record straight. I originally designed this 2 years ago.Acrylic Faction Overlay They were available from Board Game Innovation and were later copied by e-raptor who put a base under them. For those with an attention to detail, you may likely spot in the corner of more recent pictures on BGI's website some tiny piece of text engraved on the corner of each TM tracker produced since late winter of 2014 that says Patent Pending...

You can find the originals and a newly redesigned version to accomadte Fire & Ice here. www.boardgameinnovation.com/terra-mystica/

I guess imitation is the greatest form of flatery. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Benton City
WA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
mobilecad wrote:
Just to set the record straight. I originally designed this 2 years ago.Acrylic Faction Overlay They were available from Board Game Innovation and were later copied by e-raptor who put a base under them. For those with an attention to detail, you may likely spot in the corner of more recent pictures on BGI's website some tiny piece of text engraved on the corner of each TM tracker produced since late winter of 2014 that says Patent Pending...

You can find the originals and a newly redesigned version to accomadte Fire & Ice here. www.boardgameinnovation.com/terra-mystica/

i have the boardgame innovation ones and love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: City of the Big ShouldersMicrobadge: Snodcon attendeeMicrobadge: John's (eldonion) flag counting fanMicrobadge: Shadows of Malice fanMicrobadge: Fan of "what's in the box?" with biffta
Klaxas wrote:
mobilecad wrote:

i have the boardgame innovation ones and love them.
Me too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b adams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing new under the sun I suppose. I wasn't aware of your boards, Roger, but they look like I guess a Terra Mystica organizer has to look. I'm curious what you do to keep them from sliding around on the player boards. My first prototype was a single layer, but it was so slippery, it almost made things worse. That's what lead me to bonding some ridges to the bottom of my organizers, so that that the player board is captured underneath and they can't slide against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Benton City
WA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
bjadams688 wrote:
Nothing new under the sun I suppose. I wasn't aware of your boards, Roger, but they look like I guess a Terra Mystica organizer has to look. I'm curious what you do to keep them from sliding around on the player boards. My first prototype was a single layer, but it was so slippery, it almost made things worse. That's what lead me to bonding some ridges to the bottom of my organizers, so that that the player board is captured underneath and they can't slide against each other.
i personally wasnt aware this was a problem. mine from boardgame innovation dont slide excessively. i mean if you bump them right they slide a bit but never enough that you cant just nudge it back with all the parts in order.

not to mention the faction keys are a brilliant idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
b/c of this thread, i realized fakirs can only upgrade digging once, lol

has OP made at least a custom mermaids overlay?
i think the notches are cool; the youtube vids do look a little slippery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having them be able to slide a bit can actually be useful. Have you ever set up the pieces on a faction card only to discover you have it on the wrong side? I have and it is super simple to flip out over if the overlay can slide. I need to post a video, but all you do is put another faction card up against the bottom edge of the one with the overlay. Rotate the overlay slightly so the edges of the houses and taking posts are no longer parallel to the edge of the faction card. Slide the overlay with the prices intact onto the temporary faction card. Flip the original over and repeat the process. It takes longer to read than to actually do it. Practice and it starts to look like a magic trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Which do people prefer, the ones from BGI or E-raptor? The BGI ones seem like a better deal but I like the idea of the backing piece on the e-raptor ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guro Bjerkan
Norway
FLAKTVEIT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Which do people prefer, the ones from BGI or E-raptor? The BGI ones seem like a better deal but I like the idea of the backing piece on the e-raptor ones.
I just ordered the BGI ones this week. I hadn't even seen the raptor ones before that. While I like the idea of having a back on the boards, I do like how the BGI ones are customized for the specific factions, plus even with shipping across the pond, I think I'm getting a better deal with BGI as well, since the e-raptor ones cost more for a pack of 5 generic ones (not counting shipping).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
misskitten wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I just ordered the BGI ones this week. I hadn't even seen the raptor ones before that. While I like the idea of having a back on the boards, I do like how the BGI ones are customized for the specific factions, plus even with shipping across the pond, I think I'm getting a better deal with BGI as well, since the e-raptor ones cost more for a pack of 5 generic ones (not counting shipping).
The e-raptor ones are sold and on sale currently at noble knight games. I decided to get a set. I like that there is a back plate and I don't think the BGI modular piece is needed. Looks like the e-raptor ones will work just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Benton City
WA
flag msg tools
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
misskitten wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
The e-raptor ones are sold and on sale currently at noble knight games. I decided to get a set. I like that there is a back plate and I don't think the BGI modular piece is needed. Looks like the e-raptor ones will work just fine.
i havent seen the raptor ones in person but if they are generic and all the same how do they deal with factions that have different spots for thier markers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They cut the holes in a weird staggered way that covers all races. You only use the holes in the board that line up with the race you're currently using,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjadams688 wrote:
Ahh, so it does. Great minds think alike and all. Still for those on my side of the pond, that's a fairly expensive proposition even if they shipped to the US, which it looks like they don't. It looks like buying one of those would set me back $30 or so after shipping. I figured I could sell mine for half of that, easily.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/254549694/terra-mystica-board-o...
I've been looking into getting a set of board organizers for my husband and myself as a Christmas present. I'd like to make sure I understand my options,

Yours would be $40 for a generic set of 5 organizers, plus $12 shipping = $52 all in

BGI would be $35 for a set of 5, including custom keys for Faqir and Mermaid, plus 8.35 shipping = $43.35 all in

The base BGI set plus 4 F&I custom keys ($9 extra) = $52.35 all in

The Raptor ones are off the table because of shipping (ETA - off the table also for being $15 each at Noble Knight)

Does that seem right?

Edit, I can't add or format this early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noble night has flat rate shipping of $10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mobilecad wrote:
Having them be able to slide a bit can actually be useful. Have you ever set up the pieces on a faction card only to discover you have it on the wrong side? I have and it is super simple to flip out over if the overlay can slide. I need to post a video, but all you do is put another faction card up against the bottom edge of the one with the overlay. Rotate the overlay slightly so the edges of the houses and taking posts are no longer parallel to the edge of the faction card. Slide the overlay with the prices intact onto the temporary faction card. Flip the original over and repeat the process. It takes longer to read than to actually do it. Practice and it starts to look like a magic trick.
Acrylic Overlays: Having a Bottom vs Just Sitting On Top is a blog post I wrote yesterday that contains a video showing how to do this. It also compares and contrasts the 2 versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that they're still $15 each and a set of 5 would be... mmm... kinda expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigiba wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Ok, but that doesn't change the fact that they're still $15 each and a set of 5 would be... mmm... kinda expensive
I ordered two and they look worth it imho. I'll post some pictures when I get them. We rarely play with more than that so it seemed worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
tigiba wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I ordered two and they look worth it imho. I'll post some pictures when I get them. We rarely play with more than that so it seemed worth it.
No disagreements here -- an organizer is very much worth having! We usually play with 4, so I'm looking at the situation from that perspective. It's good that there's a range of options and prices, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own the E-Raptor Agricola and Full Sized Eclipse boards and they are amazing. Totally worth the extra money imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I already own the E-Raptor Agricola and Full Sized Eclipse boards and they are amazing. Totally worth the extra money imho
If you've already made up your mind, why did you ask for opinions about people's preferences?

Speaking for myself, I'm looking at my options. I've heard good things about both designs, but having the custom keys for Mermaids and Fakirs and F&I is more attractive to me than, well, than not having them. It's a party bonus that it's also the least expensive option to purchase for 5 sets.

Again, it's excellent that there are several excellent options out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I asked I wasn't sure. After weighing all the options I went with e-raptor