Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

The U.S. Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confederate control of Springfield/Forts and Entrenchments co-existing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Do the Confederates control Springfield, MO, at the start of the 1861 scenario? There is no control marker for them listed on the setup card, and it is stated that the Union controls Missouri, so I think not, even though they start with two SPs in the hex.

2. While building a fort, can an entrenchment remain in the hex until the fort is completed? The rules say you can't have two Fortification markers in the same hex, but this seemed a bit pedantic on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
1. Do the Confederates control Springfield, MO, at the start of the 1861 scenario? There is no control marker for them listed on the setup card, and it is stated that the Union controls Missouri, so I think not, even though they start with two SPs in the hex.
I would say yes. 6.3 says that the presence of friendly SP, Entrenchments, and Forts indicates control of a hex.

Quote:
2. While building a fort, can an entrenchment remain in the hex until the fort is completed? The rules say you can't have two Fortification markers in the same hex, but this seemed a bit pedantic on my part.
I believe the answer is yes, but I can't find a citation for this at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!Microbadge: Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire fanMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Soccer fan
Mark answered the fort/entrenchment question on Consimworld and the answer is yes you can keep the entrenchment until the fort is fully constructed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos molina
msg tools
Microbadge: Advanced Civilization fanMicrobadge: Axis & Allies fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Macross / Robotech fanMicrobadge: Civil Wargamer
(10.2.2) Building an F1 Fort: An F1 Fort may be built in any
friendly-controlled space that is in Full Supply. Place the F1 Fort
on its under-construction side. No Action Point is expended but the
owning player must spend a Special Action Card of the appropriate
theater to start the construction of the Fort. The Fort is completed
in the next friendly Action Phase (no additional Action Points or
cards are required to complete a Fort). Once the Fort is completed,
any Entrenchment in the hex must be removed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm being a pedant again about Springfield. The Confederate SP would haveplaced a control marker there at the end of the "previous turn". Just want to know if that force can run off and cause trouble in Missouri with first spend a MP to control Springfield. I think the answer is pretty probably of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure if you set off immediately from Springfield, you leave a control marker there (i.e., you don't need to spend a MP to leave one). I'm wondering how crazy the Confederates can get there, due to supply/ LOC restrictions. But I haven't really played yet, just have been looking over the map and setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can trace limited supply 4mp from depot to depot, and controlled towns and objective hexes serve as those. So they can cause trouble since the towns thee are conveniently 4 mp apart, forcing a union response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, they have lmited supply, but they can lose Springfield very easily, too, and they don't have much to work with there. They can strat move more SP in next turn, I suppose. I'm just spitballing, though, I will be interested to see how this area plays out in actual games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Simonitch
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
1. Do the Confederates control Springfield, MO, at the start of the 1861 scenario?
--Yes since they have an SP there. If you want the control marker then the 2 SPs can spend 1 MP to place the control marker. Or wait until the end of the turn and the control marker is placed for free (19.1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls