Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Microbadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: 2019 Gold Supporter
Staring at the map during a solo run through and couldn't come up with a situation where playing the three Afghanistan action cards in the deck for diplomacy would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mostly used to open up a wider road into/out of India.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
Microbadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Fan of Formula 1 RacingMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: 2019 Gold Supporter
Sure. It just seems easier/more cost effective to take by force than try to use the diplomacy route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Sure. It just seems easier/more cost effective to take by force than try to use the diplomacy route.
I dunno...ask the Soviets...and the Americans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
For the west there is the additional advantage of another unit in the region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achilles Last Stand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just played a game where the west was busy with Germany early. As the USSR, I had been upgrading units and moving into Persia, which Germany had nabbed with a single chit early. on successive turns, I played three Afghanistan action creating a satellite the same turn I sacked Persia. It served as a nice defensive front and allowed me to put pressure on Turkey, which I eventually controlled as well.

Taking Afghanistan would've been just as easy, but at least this way it was subtle and I didn't put any additional cards in my opponents hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tex_conway wrote:
Just played a game where the west was busy with Germany early. As the USSR, I had been upgrading units and moving into Persia, which Germany had nabbed with a single chit early. on successive turns, I played three Afghanistan action creating a satellite the same turn I sacked Persia. It served as a nice defensive front and allowed me to put pressure on Turkey, which I eventually controlled as well.

Taking Afghanistan would've been just as easy, but at least this way it was subtle and I didn't put any additional cards in my opponents hands.
But drained three from yours...... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boschen
United States
Rochester
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be best to leave Afghanistan alone as a buffer territory and save your cards and VoN?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly Casual wrote:
Might be best to leave Afghanistan alone as a buffer territory and save your cards and VoN?
I nearly won a game as Axis after taking Afghanistan diplomatically. I already had Paris and the West had moved its Delhi units out and only losing out on the card draw for the Spring phase prevented me from taking Delhi first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quirky One
msg tools
Taking it by force:
You will engage in a war one turn earlier than otherwise (you are taking it for strategic purposes so war is probably imminent.) This might cost you a peace dividend. Let's say it is worth about 1 card.

You will lose a card (by giving your opponents 1 card each).

You will lose an action card (if you are at peace and didn't intend to move otherwise) to move in for the attack.

You will lose on average 1 unit to the fort.

Total cost if at peace: 4.
Total cost if at war with extra move points available: 2.

Taking it by diplomacy:
You spend three cards and it is very unlikely that your opponent will try to stop you.

You gain another unit, in the right place, since you are taking it for strategic purposes only.

Total cost 3-1 = 2.

Summary:
If you already is at war and have the move points to spend, then it's a toss up. If you are not at war, it is much better to take it with diplomacy.

Soviets doubles their attack potential on India if the West have covered the sea with a unit and stopped amphibian assaults. So a 2 unit cost to go from 1 to 2 ground units attacking per round is huge.

The West can easily motivate a protectorate for the above reason, and then pay 1 extra to get a new unit that can be something besides a fort, that actually might force the Soviet to put a few units in defense to stop a sneaky back door attack, sound great. A one influence investment from the West seems a little bit dubious though, since at best it forces the Soviets to pay one diplomacy card extra at one for one and at worst be completely wasted if the Soviets intended to attack it anyways. Better to save a one diplomacy card and use it when the Soviets tries to take it over, and hope they don't have a fourth card that turn.

But still you should have better things to do, with a higher Return on Investment, than focusing on such a minor country, at least most of the time. Livonia is in a similar position (industrial bombing base, and opening up another border for attacks), as is Ireland (potential base for fleet actions, and maybe a staging area for amphibian assaults, but not much else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Libal

Klausenburg
Transylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
It is one more way into or out of India. Because of the mountainous terrain you can only move 1 troop in/out of Karachi so it helps with that. As the Soviet player that has Persia already I would take it if I wanted to storm India, it's annoying to have a season with only 3 inf + air attacking into Karachi waiting for reinforcements in the next season. Afghanistan helps with that, you can bring in 6 inf at once. However if you already have units that strong there then it's a season to take it - probably cheaper than with diplomacy even with VON and giving the opponents a card each.

For the Allies it represents a way to bring in a land units into India, something they can hardly do otherwise, so it's worth more to get it diplomatically. I would say if you run out of good options with extra diplomacy cards and you have the cards then try it, but don't wait for the cards and plan on it if you don't have the cards already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls