Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After going through the forums and watching the videos, we have a couple of observations that lead to one basic question about "proper" negotiations.

Here is how we are playing the Inspection Phase now. The question is: Are we doing this "correctly"?

Green is the sheriff and Red, Blue, and Yellow have loaded their bags. Green hefts each bag and says, "Why should I NOT open these bags?" Thus initiating the negotiations.

Blue says, "You can open mine if you want, BUT you'll end up paying me big bucks. However, I will give you 5 gold to leave my bag alone AND open Red's bag."

Red says, "I will give you 7 gold to open Blue's bag, but you can't open my bag."

Yellow quietly puts 6 gold on his bag and says, "You don't need to look into my bag."

The sheriff, considers all the offers and then shoves Yellow's gold back and says, "I'm looking in your bag." Yellow shrugs and the Sheriff pays him 10 gold for the 5 apples he actually had in his bag.

The Sheriff then considers the other two offers. If he takes one of the offers, he CAN'T take the other (as they are mutually exclusive). In the end, he takes neither offer and opens both bags (first Red's bag... then Blue's).

We rule that since Yellow's offer was taken, and he moved past the Sheriff to the market place, he CANNOT offer another bribe to open either bag that was coming behind him (since the apparent order of entry into the marketplace was Yellow, Red, then Blue).

After opening Red's bag, Blue COULD have changed his bribe to simply say "Don't open my bag and I'll give you 7 gold." However, Red could NOT offer more $$$ to open Blue's bag... because his bribe was already Declined... AND his bag was already opened (i.e., he has already moved on to the market).

Are we doing this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Whapham
United States
Sunbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You actually negotiate with each color bag/merchant separately in clockwise order.
For example, you are the sheriff and have the yellow, blue, and red bags ready for inspection. whomever is to your immediate left is the merchant you're dealing with first. If you decide not to open that player's bag, the other players can try to bribe you to open it. That player can decide to counter-offer or not.
After the negotiations with that player have concluded, you move onto the next player in line, and so on.
I ran quite a few of demos at Origins this past summer and that's how i taught the game.

PB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I did not realize that you had to resolve the bags in a specific order!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to inspect them in order. You can open them in any order you want, per the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomVasel wrote:
You do not have to inspect them in order. You can open them in any order you want, per the rules.
Ah! That is what I had thought I had read. Thanks Tom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the way we played it, yellow (and red) would still be able to offer bribes to open the other bag(s) (in red's case, just blue). We'd roleplay it like we sent the goods with our assistant and we stuck around to make sure the Sheriff punishes those no good lying competitors.

I mean sure my chicken, apple & cheese sandwiches are the best in the kingdom, but I don't need these losers undercutting my "fair" prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Whapham
United States
Sunbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I really need to get this to the table more often.

However, whichever deal you decide to take is binding and you cannot go back on your word.

And just because your bag was/wasn't inspected and the sheriff moved to someone else doesn't mean you're out of the round. You can still offer bribes to the sheriff to mess with the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odysseus3 wrote:

We rule that since Yellow's offer was taken, and he moved past the Sheriff to the market place, he CANNOT offer another bribe to open either bag that was coming behind him (since the apparent order of entry into the marketplace was Yellow, Red, then Blue).

After opening Red's bag, Blue COULD have changed his bribe to simply say "Don't open my bag and I'll give you 7 gold." However, Red could NOT offer more $$$ to open Blue's bag... because his bribe was already Declined... AND his bag was already opened (i.e., he has already moved on to the market).

Are we doing this right?
This bit isn't right, you can still be fully engaged in the negotiations even after your bag has been opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
You can negotiate for other things even after your bag has been checked into. For example, you just bribed the Sheriff to not open your bag, and he's handed your bag back. You can throw in a coin bribe to have him open Blue's bag instead, and maybe even add to that bribe if the sheriff declines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls