Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
From someone who played and taught the 2nd more than 10 times in the last year here are some changes I noticed.

You can now place encounters at the castle, stake is no longer a weapon its an item, Quincy Morris is replaced by the Giant Wolf, holy bullets do need a gun now, the lair system is much smoother and easier to use than the catacombs, garbage items like fast horse and garbage encounters like hoax, spy and saboteur have been greatly improved. Dogs is no longer a power item, rats have more of a change to mess people up, allies are dual use, the higher damage out puts higher scoring effects (especially with a rumor token), and fury of Dracula power make it a much faster game. I scored 8 with a single vampire.

All in all they really cleaned up this game and made me love it even more. I do miss Quincy as the zombie alley though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "I play a Stratocaster"Microbadge: Guitar fanMicrobadge: Bass Guitar fanMicrobadge: Guitar playerMicrobadge: " I play a Les Paul"
Wait, since when are Dogs a power item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
in the 2nd it removed a lot of encounters and made you almost always win ties it was a very powerful item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
compared to fast horse, one use more an additional road, and local rumors one use reveal one encounter, dogs was the best non weapon item and it also has a great passive combat power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "I play a Stratocaster"Microbadge: Guitar fanMicrobadge: Bass Guitar fanMicrobadge: Guitar playerMicrobadge: " I play a Les Paul"
OK. It's good, sure, I just never saw it as a "power" item. YMMV, and all that.

Getting to try 3E out in a couple days, myself. Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Kourganov
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Thief series fanMicrobadge: Fury of Dracula (third edition) fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: WFRP (Warhammer Fantasy Role-Playing) fanMicrobadge: I love Norway!
There is one change on a map of Spain - more road from Santander to Bordeaux, so now Saragossa is not the bottle neck anymore. This change I like a lot.
Another change is on the map of the Black Sea coast: there is no road from Constanta to Galaz anymore. Don't know about that, and don't know why it was removed.

Didn't notice other changes on the board. There are a couple of changes that I would like to see on the board, but they didn't get it:

- The road from Venice to Zagreb. But now it is harder to lock cities permanently, so perhaps this change is not that important with new edition.

- Instead of Constanta and Varna I would like to see Varna and Istanbul. Cmon people, Contanta had population of onlu 13000 people at that time - there is no way Constanta being a large city - it is barely a city at all! While Istanbul had a million plus. And there was even well known Oriental Express train that navigated from Paris to Istanbul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I was sad to see Quincey replaced by the Great Wolf. I thought the flavor of Quincey being resurrected to serve as Dracula's minion was fantastic.

One odd change is that the game board no longer has a place for Dracula's ally. I don't really get why that was removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: Cat-in-a-boxMicrobadge: Apple haterMicrobadge: Tea drinker
mcloud357 wrote:
From someone who played and taught the 2nd more than 10 times in the last year here are some changes I noticed.

You can now place encounters at the castle, stake is no longer a weapon its an item, Quincy Morris is replaced by the Giant Wolf, holy bullets do need a gun now, the lair system is much smoother and easier to use than the catacombs, garbage items like fast horse and garbage encounters like hoax, spy and saboteur have been greatly improved. Dogs is no longer a power item, rats have more of a change to mess people up, allies are dual use, the higher damage out puts higher scoring effects (especially with a rumor token), and fury of Dracula power make it a much faster game. I scored 8 with a single vampire.

All in all they really cleaned up this game and made me love it even more. I do miss Quincy as the zombie alley though.
I have no idea what and how the lair and catacombs system is but if the description is like such I feel it change the theme. I don't know who Quincy Morris was but he likely was no giant wolf I guess. And you mention a zombie ally.

How much of the "content"/theme is changed?

It's of course not necessarily worse because it changes but is it in some case? Hopefully there's as much theme as possibly.

Is the game better or worse?
Is the content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
to clarify the lair system is just an updated cleaner version of the catacombs system from the 2nd ed.

Quincy Morris was the one in Bram Stocker' novel that delivered the killing blow to Dracula. It has been postulate by some other authors based on his actions during the novel that he was actually in league with the count. While the book also had a great wolf it was minor character and often assume to be the count in wolf form.

The fury of Dracula is designed as a sequel to the novel. In second edition of the game the count raised Quincy from the dead to help him seek revenge on the hunters.

The game itself minus the rulebook is a cleaner faster animal packed with theme all around and they fixed several of the thematic disconnects from the 2nd (IE holy bullets did not need a gun to be used). They also fixed a lot of smaller things that sucked about the 2nd, the mini map and character cards in the 2nd just had white on the back, the box art have of looked better in the 2nd, but the count's character card made him look like he took out his frontal lobe with a fork, derp face all over. Hide and its rules and errate were all over the place. they really improved this game.

Thematically it is dripping with theme, but the change with Quincy just makes the game a little less dark. I mean this already a dark game, supernatural being back from the grave for revenge and taking over Europe, but the addition of raising a former alley from the grave meant Dracula was not screwing around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Descent fanMicrobadge: I pimped my AgricolaMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
mcloud357 wrote:
compared to fast horse, one use more an additional road, and local rumors one use reveal one encounter, dogs was the best non weapon item and it also has a great passive combat power
All three of which are far worse in my opinion than just having more weapons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eruantalon _
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I actualy consider Hoax played in Western Europe a superb ecounter in mid-late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls