Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Renato Corrêa
Brazil
Florianopolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold or Quined Games? I know about the incompatibility between the Cults and Culture expansion and the Quined Games edition, but right now I am only interested in the base game. So my worries are all about the component quality.

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Quined base game has cardboard player mats. The Stronghold edition has cardstock player mats. I don't see this as a big deal since it lies on the table flat.

Quined has hobbit sized Wonder cards. The Stronghold edition has normal sized Wonder cards.

I can't comment on card quality since I sleeve my cards. i do know The Stronghold edition has linen finish, which is probably better than the Quined version.

I think I prefer the Quined edition. Stronghold may be better if you don't sleeve your cards. That Stronghold cover is much more ugly than the Quined version. You can say it's irrelevant to component quality, but it is a component and the art is better quality. I think friends would be vastly more interested in the game the Quined cover is portraying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Corrêa
Brazil
Florianopolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, have you already played the expansion? If yes, what do you think about it?

Thanks for your answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Quined version, the upgrade kit and the expansion. My vote would go to the Quined version.

- I especially like the beter game boards.

- The larger wonder cards in the Stronghold edition are a nice idea but they just up scaled the art so it's larger but not much clearer plus the cards take up more space. I'm in the habit of having these cards in the same row as the building cards. The building cards are stil small size so my row doesn't look tidy anymore.

- I'm not a fan of linen finish. I get more glare problems with them.

The expansion adds lots of interesting new options and backstory to your civilization but I guess I didn't play the base game enough yo get most out of it. At the moment adding the expansion adds to much complexity to the game. I'm AP prone and having all those added options destroys the game flow for me. I like the idea of having the expansion on my shelves for that moment when I have fully explored the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Renato99 wrote:
Mark, have you already played the expansion? If yes, what do you think about it?

Thanks for your answer!
I have it but I won't get a chance to play it until my school semester ends in December.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(I have the Quined edition and the Stronghold produced expansion with a compatibility deck of cards in the new size as some context to my comments.)

Box: Oh my god am I glad that I got the Quined edition. Comically awful Stronghold version, especially when you see the original.

It may seem like it shouldn't make a difference but the cardstock player board does. It has less weight, and the shiny reverse side means it slides around a fair amount. Given how irritating it is to have the chits on top slide about, I'm likely to never use the 5 player board until I can mount it onto something suitable. Felt even!

The card difference leave me conflicted. The quality is similar enough that it's not worth commenting on, so that leaves size. I prefer to shuffle and handle larger cards BUT in this game, where you will place the cards next to your boards, it's just more convenient to have smaller ones. Plus, it seems that the Stronghold versions of the base cards is a literal "scale image" job and the lack of print resolution is really obvious. I'll have to give it to the smaller cards overall.

The wood pieces and chits seemed to be of a similar weight and handle in a similar fashion so they're even there. The extra map tiles fit in well and the meeples don't look out of place.

So, sadly, Quined really made the better choices but I am very glad that Stronghold is keeping this excellent game in print with an expansion with comparable components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell B
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Where were you guys able to get the compatibility deck? Was it Essen? Because I haven't seen it on the stronghold website...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildpygmy wrote:
Where were you guys able to get the compatibility deck? Was it Essen? Because I haven't seen it on the stronghold website...
A friend bought the pack for me at Essen and sent it to me. It may yet appear for sale someplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
wildpygmy wrote:
A friend bought the pack for me at Essen and sent it to me. It may yet appear for sale someplace.
Gaming Mules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Corrêa
Brazil
Florianopolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought the Quined version. I am glad for the box is really beautiful and the game is really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
benosteen wrote:
wildpygmy wrote:
Gaming Mules!
Heh, just spotted this! Yes and thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renato99 wrote:
So I bought the Quined version. I am glad for the box is really beautiful and the game is really good.

I actually have always thought the box was very boring, which doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. OTOH, the new box is just plain hideous, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as one person that loves the Stronghold cover. Alexandre Roche is one of my favorite game illustrators. His work has a quirkiness, and quality that a lot of the game industry just lacks. The Quined edition is a little bit more expected, and cliched, and lacks his style. Both editions are nice, but I just prefer the Stronghold edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls