Hide
6 Posts

The King's Armory» Forums » Reviews

Subject: King's Armory Review: A Family Perspective rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Miles
msg tools
I am a high school teacher and had King's Armory suggested to me by one of my students. It immediately caught my ear...co-op, tower defense, strategy, 1-7 players adjustable. I went ahead and "rolled the dice" purchasing the game. It has ended up being a smart decision, not only for me, but my family as well.

Let me take you through a recent Saturday game night....I invited my brother and sister in law over to play. We decided to make an evening of my new game and ordered in some pizza. Initially, 4 of us (me, wife, bro, and 9 year old son) started playing. (I had already played a couple of times and watched some game play through) I was thrilled to see that, with a little strategic guidance, my son was able to enjoy and play with us just fine. In fact his uncanny ability to roll "crits" was a welcomed addition to our crew. My sis sat out the start to tend to their newborn. After the first couple of waves my wife and son ducked out for bedtime routine. It was an easy adjustment as the wave card allows you to adjust enemy #, resources, etc. with different numbers of heroes. The two of us played wave 3. Right after my wife finished putting our kids to bed and the newborn fell asleep, so wife and sis were able to jump in for waves 4 & 5. I am thrilled that this game has allowed us to have fun at multiple age ranges and with a lot of player flexibility.

Since I have continued to play the game once or twice a week. I find that it is well balanced and each game ends up unique. Factoring in the number of heroes, bosses, equipment, reinforcement, and armory cards each game plays out differently. I have been working my way around the different heroes and it seems that each was well thought out with both strengths and weaknesses. I find that it takes real strategic decisions to succeed. Also, it may sound weird, but I don't want to win every time, I like a challenge. This game doesn't disappoint often beating me down. With the ability to customize the map and routes you can add to or take down the difficulty level.

Finally, I have purchased a couple of expansions (Robin Hood Hero and 5 x 5 Map Tile Expansions). I was blown away at how accessible, accommodating, and down right nice John Wrot was. Each time he personally emailed thank yous. He was quick and happy to respond to some quick questions I had about game play rules and even strategy advice. Also, my orders got shipped out quickly and included small freebies. I guess this is the advantage of a small game publisher. No, I don't know him, but he acted like he knew me. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to let people know about this great game. I am excited to steadily add in all the other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy E
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Myth fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Doom: The Boardgame fanMicrobadge: Gate Keeper Games Fan
Yeah, it's a good game isn't it? we haven't played for a while after losing our first 5 games games due to our too busy life, but am looking forward getting it back to the table again this weekend.

In the future we will also play with people that have young children. Your post has reassured me that that will work out fine, thanks! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
that's exactly the problem with games, 4hours is too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: Catholic - MaryMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: A.D.A.P.T. fan
kosterix wrote:
that's exactly the problem with games, 4hours is too long.
Kosterix, I totally respect that, but understand it's only "too long" for some. And that's ok. For others it's exactly the meaty flexible strategy meta-type-game they need! laugh

I know I sit down to certain video games for as long, and D&D games for 3-4x that! Haha. But that's just me.

Hopefully one day you'll get a chance to give it a try for a Wave or 2. After all, the play time IS adjustable. ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
What bothered me about The King's Armory is not the total playtime, but the distribution of interesting decisions throughout that playtime. Sometimes you get a really easy wave and you know you're going to have little trouble, but it still takes a while. Sometimes you get through the first couple of rounds and you know mopping up will be easy, but it still takes a while. I'm not sure more than an hour of those four hours is really about making interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: Catholic - MaryMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: A.D.A.P.T. fan
DaviddesJ wrote:
What bothered me about The King's Armory is not the total playtime, but the distribution of interesting decisions throughout that playtime. Sometimes you get a really easy wave and you know you're going to have little trouble, but it still takes a while. Sometimes you get through the first couple of rounds and you know mopping up will be easy, but it still takes a while. I'm not sure more than an hour of those four hours is really about making interesting decisions.
Cool this discussion cropped up today.

David, can you tell us more about your play? Did you lose? How many play-throughs did you give it?
I'll be honest, I'm the dev, and I play it at the 5-hour mark (above average) because I'm engrossed in all the "If I do that, and this works, then you'll do that; but if I don't then, it'll do this, so you'll have to do that but can't because of... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" moments. : )
Sure, there are a few "oh, you shoot that thing" moments in there, but you usually earn them as a result of good choices earlier, a well timed crit, or good team selection with good timing.

Anyway, always interested in hearing more about people's plays positive (which makes me feel happy that I made you happy) or negative (cause maybe, just maybe, I can help).

Best to all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls