Subject: Debate on revealing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hogan
United States
Oswego
New York
flag msg tools
Over the weekend we played some Legendary, as we all do. We ran into a rules debate we were hoping could be sorted out. Our henchmen group was the Phalanx, who say

Phalanx wrote:
Fight: Reveal a Tech Hero or KO one of your Heroes with an Attack icon.

One of our heroes was Hawkeye, who has several Tech cards. After using Hawkeye on a turn where a member of the Phalanx was defeated, the player attempted to K.O. a S.H.I.E.L.D. Trooper, citing the section of the rulebook that says you can choose not to reveal and "suffer" the fight effects if you would like.

The opposition to that play claimed that since the tech hero was in play, it was revealed, removing the choice from the player to not reveal.

Any suggestions on this would be incredibly helpful. Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its slightly counterintuitive, but the hawkeye player did it correctly.

“Reveal” just means show the other players that you have it. You don’t play or discard the card you revealed.

When you have the opportunity to “reveal a card”, you can reveal a card from your hand or you can reveal a card in front of you that you have already played this turn.

If an effect says to reveal a card from the top of a deck, and it doesn’t say where to put that card afterwards, then that card stays where it was.

For example, say you play a Wolverine card and a Deadpool card to make 5 Attack, and you still have four S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents in your hand. Then you fight the Villain Sabretooth. For Sabretooth’s “Fight” effect, you can reveal the Wolverine (X-Men) card you already played this turn so that you don’t have to take a Wound. You could also just choose to gain the Wound if you really wanted, for example if you had lots of cards in your deck that benefited from Wounds.

(From the complete comprehensive rulebook hosted on bgg)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Phalanx card say Reveal OR KO a card. You're given a choice. Playing a card isn't necessarily "revealing" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's confusing to use the word "reveal" in this way. How can you choose to not reveal something that is already sitting on the table face up where everyone can see it?

It should have been worded more like:

Fight: KO one of your Heroes with an Attack icon. If you wish, you may avoid having to do this by revealing a Tech Hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.