Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Player - Lem's Power rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Laessig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new character, Lem does not have the Weapon Power. If he encounters a bane that requires a combat check, what dice would he use? (I'm assuming a d4 - the default dice used whenever you don't have a specific ability, but want to attempt an attempt regardless). Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lem does start with a weapon. The recommended start per the rule book has him start with a sling. He does not start with a weapon proficiency. That just means he won't get certain bonuses for being proficient when using certain weapons. As for his combat check, follow the card that is being used. If you are using a weapon, follow what die it says to use. In the case of the sling, I believe it says use a dexterity die (I don't have it out in front of me right now) and a bonus. If Lem is using a spell, he would use the die the spell states (often Arcane d10+1) as his combat die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Laessig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what my primary purpose in questioning was to verify if someone could initiate a "basic" attack (d4) if they didn't have a weapon or other card that allowed them to initiate an attack.

So,I should have stated that for my question, let's assume Lem does not have a weapon card in his hand (e.g., the Sling), and has no spells. Based on your response I imagine he cannot attack, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From page 11 of the rulebook:

Most monsters and some barriers call for a combat check.
Weapons and many other cards that can be used during combat
generally tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat
check; if you don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee
skill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Morales
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
So, basically, Lem can attack with a single d4. I haven't seen anything that can be defeated with a single d4. Against weaker monsters, I'd hope the d4 roll will help reduce as much damage as possible. Discarding 4 cards is better than discarding a full hand (6), depending on your hand and your strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimavet wrote:
If he encounters a bane that requires a combat check, what dice would he use? (I'm assuming a d4 - the default dice used whenever you don't have a specific ability, but want to attempt an attempt regardless).
Lem would use a d4 in combat when not using a Weapon or Spell because d4 is his Strength die, not because he lacks an ability. You can always use Strength for a combat check (or Melee, if you have it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azhadow wrote:
So, basically, Lem can attack with a single d4. I haven't seen anything that can be defeated with a single d4. Against weaker monsters, I'd hope the d4 roll will help reduce as much damage as possible. Discarding 4 cards is better than discarding a full hand (6), depending on your hand and your strategies.
Ideally Lem would have an attack spell.

No one, even a fighter, really wants to go against any bane without some relevant cards to play (that covers Blessing + Fists Sajan).

Edit: Maybe attack-chicken Balazar, but he has an attack-chicken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
jimavet wrote:
If he encounters a bane that requires a combat check, what dice would he use? (I'm assuming a d4 - the default dice used whenever you don't have a specific ability, but want to attempt an attempt regardless).
Lem would use a d4 in combat when not using a Weapon or Spell because d4 is his Strength die, not because he lacks an ability. You can always use Strength for a combat check (or Melee, if you have it).
And that is important, because there are ways to make a that check work if you need to. Throw some Blessings of Gorum at it. If Harks is at another location, have him use his powers to give Lem another d4 (maybe with a few +s as well). If Valeros is with Lem, he'll get a d4 from Valeros too. Play the spell Strength to add 3 to the check. Have characters at other locations play some bows or crossbows to add to the check. Someone can play Sheriff Hemlock if they have him.

I've seen a d4 Strength check turn into a successful combat check to defeat a villain's 15+ combat check on more than one occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, it is an extraplanar attack-chicken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be quite Frank, this isn't really what Lem is intended for anyway. If you wanted to do a lot of combat, you chose incorrectly at the beginning. My friend plays Lem, and loves him, but primarily as a support character. I can't tell you how many times Lem's additional d4 ability has helped to push me over the top on my own combat checks. IMO, this along with the fact that he gets bonuses to Arcance, Diplomacy, AND Divine makes him perfect to throw down support spells/allies when in a pinch.

You will eventually get the weapon proficiency, at which point your character will become more dynamic, and fun ... but I really suggest focusing on playing to Lem's advantages because he can already be an extremely useful character early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
269Hawkmoon wrote:
I've seen a d4 Strength check turn into a successful combat check to defeat a villain's 15+ combat check on more than one occasion.
True story. I once defeated a Villain (The Eel from Skulls and Shackles) and won the scenario by punching him with Siwar (Who is also a Bard) and rolling 2d4+2d6+2 to get a 20. Having Bards defeat monsters by punching them is always satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Having Bards defeat monsters by punching them is always satisfying.
This applies to so many other games too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One last thing to note about Lem is that he gets to choose the card type he starts with, so you can guarantee he always begins a scenario with the Sling (or whatever weapon he has) on hand. That doesn't guarantee you'll keep it throughout the scenario, but it's what my friend playing Lem now does to make sure he's equipped for a fight if he needs to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls