Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have an opinion on using a CRT (Combat Results Table) instead of tons of dice to resolve combat?

What i'm thinking of doing is building a table, with as much of the original odds of destroying units built into it that is reasonaly possible, to eliminate the endless die rolling in this game. I'd have to create two, one for conventional combat and one for magic. Magic and Melee losses would still be simultaneous, with ranged losses being applied first. Though I'm tempted to apply magic damage at the same time as ranged, as it would, 9 times out of ten, be some kind of ranged attack (fireballs, lightening bolts...etc) but that's a different variant.

Anyway, I was debating whether to use the ubiquitous 2d6 (two six sideds), a d12 or 20, or even possibly percentile. Any thoughts on that also?

Pros: Faster combat. Less die rolling.

Cons: Some people really like taking a fist full of dice, rolling them and experiencing the thrill/despair of many/few sixes popping up. The odds of losses cannot be exactly modeled. there is a chance, no matter how slim, that you could roll all 6's on 35 dice. I don't think I could work those odds into a CRT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's part of the fun of the game I think, just like Warhammer. If you could create a die that took into account all the possible outcomes between two units and rolled it once (ala blood bowl) that might work, but a chart? That's just so un-king of the table top IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.