Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group usually wins 20% of our Pandemic games with 5 epidemics, but we played this weekend and won our first 4 to then lose our first May game. I know Pandemic has a heavy luck factor, and at a few points we thought "if X/Y/Z had gone down differently, man we'd be deep in it", but it is quite... surprising, to say the least. Is this every one's experience?

I mean, in Game 1, the cards went our way, and it seems that since then, every part of the game that gets harder (panic levels, scars, even stuff from the legacy deck) does not affect us much, but the helpful things (game end upgrades in particular, starting with 3 research stations every game, and some stuff from the legacy deck) are in full swing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game is definitely easier than vanilla Pandemic, because you have a lot more connections between cities. But there are people that find PL too easy, so they use an unofficial variant, where they add a 6th epidemic card to the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aimee Wood
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our experience, the game also got harder. We also won the first 4, then lost the first May game. From there we have pretty much alternated wins and losses (July being the only month we won on the first try). We have had some particularly bad luck once (October) but in general I think the game does get harder, especially since you have minimal funding if you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Heilz wrote:
The first game is definitely easier than vanilla Pandemic, because you have a lot more connections between cities.

We found the first game very tough, because at that point you have no upgrades, and the extra connections can hinder as much as help.

Spoiler for first game in Jan:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
But the big swing factor is your board state when the Legacy deck throws a resistant CODA at you. If you've let one disease spread a bit because you're on the brink of curing it and know you can clean up easily afterwards, so are focusing on treating the others, that disease becoming incurable and resistant to treatment can hose your game quite quickly. Whereas if you've kept the diseases mostly contained, or you get that second epidemic relatively quickly, it can actually make things easier, as you only have three diseases to cure. The early card draw can swing it a lot too - if you all end up with hands full of CODA cards, you're going to have a tough game.

Which again, is more likely, as the disease you have the most cards for is the one you make a bee-line to curing first, which is therefore the one you're likely to treat the least, so with a fairly even infection deck, will be the one that becomes CODA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Spoiler for first game in Jan:
But the big swing factor is your board state when the Legacy deck throws a resistant CODA at you. If you've let one disease spread a bit because you're on the brink of curing it and know you can clean up easily afterwards, so are focusing on treating the others, that disease becoming incurable and resistant to treatment can hose your game quite quickly. Whereas if you've kept the diseases mostly contained, or you get that second epidemic relatively quickly, it can actually make things easier, as you only have three diseases to cure. The early card draw can swing it a lot too - if you all end up with hands full of CODA cards, you're going to have a tough game.

Which again, is more likely, as the disease you have the most cards for is the one you make a bee-line to curing first, which is therefore the one you're likely to treat the least, so with a fairly even infection deck, will be the one that becomes CODA.

Follow-up spoiler for January
Yes, we were very lucky on that one. We had the 5 cards to cure blue, which had 11 cubes, and the Epidemic right before the Legacy card added 3 black cubes, for a total of 12, which made Black the CODA. If Blue had become the CODA, it would have been a much longer game: blue was our second cure, and we were well on our way to get #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon Waddell

Tennessee
msg tools
mb
i too have one the first 4 games (haven't played May yet). I think the key factors in winning the first few are: The Amount of Players playing the game. I think two players is not enough, four players can be too hard, because of only starting with two cards and it taking too long to get around to some key roles like the medic. Luck can also play a huge factor. i am playing a 3 player game and as the scientist i started with 3 yellow cards on my turn i took the fourth card from the researcher and turned them in. So on turn one we had one of three diseases cured. Unintentional Cheating Im not accusing anyone of this. I feel like we have played all our games fairly but their are some rules that aren't that clear. (these might be clear but i can't remember them if they say so in the rulebook) Like choosing roles after you read the new briefing, what about after you set up the board. When do you choose which station to start at before or after the board is setup. Are you actually choosing randomly who goes first or picking the medic to clean up right away. Are you doing all the little things like putting stickers on the board, getting scars, moving the infection rate up, outbreaks up, watching hand limits, actually going to cities to exchange cards. there are a lot of things to remember so even forgetting one slightly can alter the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gobdorian wrote:
Unintentional Cheating Im not accusing anyone of this. I feel like we have played all our games fairly but their are some rules that aren't that clear. (these might be clear but i can't remember them if they say so in the rulebook) Like choosing roles after you read the new briefing, what about after you set up the board. When do you choose which station to start at before or after the board is setup. Are you actually choosing randomly who goes first or picking the medic to clean up right away.

While I understand (and agree with) what you say, I think you just missed the set-up order. The rulebook pretty clearly states:

1. Read the mission briefing;
2. Set out board and pieces;
3. Place outbreaks, cure markers, and objectives;
4. Place infection rate marker and infect 9 cities;
5. Select Funded Events, deal out cards;
6. Prepare Player deck;
7. Select characters and starting locaton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I regularly see questions and comments from people on the forums that are all easily answered by just reading the rules. So my question is, are people actually reading the rules or just skimming them? Open up the rulebook and use it as a reference during setup. Things like that can really help with a game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.