Subject: GS: 6.5 Consecutive Activation Restriction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G B
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Surely I am missing something obvious here...
The German solo rules p.18 states:
You may not activate a German brigade, division, corps, or Kampfgruppe containing units that were already activated in the current or immediately preceding German impulse. You may not activate a unit in a formation that was activated in the current or immediately preceding German impulse. Thus, if you activate a division, (a) you could not activate that same division in your next impulse and (b) you could not activate the corps to which the division is attached.
But could you activate another division belonging to the same corps or would this be considered the same as activating the corps?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

No you can't.

Once you activate anything that is part of a corps :
- corps
- division
- unit via "activate one unit" command
- unit(s) via Kampfgruppe

the corps is considered activated for this impulse. With a Kampfgruppe several corps can be activated at once and thus cannot be activated again for the current impulse and the next, even units that were not in the range of the Kampfgruppe.

Ex : I move Peiper using the Piper card or the 12VG division, the whole ISS corps is considered activated, including the 12SS division and all other brigades that were not included in the activation.

It does not apply if you use cards for another purpose : reserve deployment, replacements, event...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr
Poland
flag msg tools
Yes you can, unless I misunderstood your question.

If in doubt about the rules, check the examples provided. Example 2 clearly states that if a player activated e.g. 26th division by a play of a division card, he could then activate another division belonging to the same corps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
Lord of the Void wrote:
Yes you can, unless I misunderstood your question.

If in doubt about the rules, check the examples provided. Example 2 clearly states that if a player activated e.g. 26th division by a play of a division card, he could then activate another division belonging to the same corps.
It seems you are clearly right in the GS rules.

The 2P rules have similar wording, yet different examples, and the 3rd 2P example seems to contradict this:

"The German player activates the single FB Brigade unit (in XLVII Corps) by playing a division card. In his next impulse he cannot activate XLVII Corps or any unit in XLVII Corps." (emphasis added by me).

Hmm. Now I am confused. Am I misunderstanding that 3rd 2P example? Or are the 2P rules intentionally different from the GS rules about consecutive activation? Or is that 3rd 2P example a mistake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
russ wrote:
Hmm. Now I am confused. Am I misunderstanding that 3rd 2P example? Or are the 2P rules intentionally different from the GS rules about consecutive activation? Or is that 3rd 2P example a mistake?
Having played the 2P game before the GS game, for me too this is exactly where my doubt stems from.

According to GS 6.5, You may not activate a unit in a formation that was activated in the current or immediately preceding German impulse. I could use a precision on what constitutes a formation in regards to division cards. For example, if I'm playing the 26th VG division card am i precluding myself the use of this sole division or the whole XLVII corps for the remainder of this impulse and the next one?

Thanks to everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I tried time ago to pose the question of the meaning of "formation" in Division cards also for Allied Activation purpose. If the single Division is a Formation the I should perform Activation check and procedure for each single Division separately and not all the units of the associated Corps together in a single Activation. The latter seems anyway to be the common understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendel Lius
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I was wrong, I agree that the second example p18 clearly shows that another division can be activated. Sorry for the confusion.

Some flexibility in activation is always welcome. Division cards become more interesting for me...

Reading 6.5 it looks that "formation" can stand for brigade, division, corps or kampfgruppe depending on the circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Following this thread makes it clear to me that there is an inconsistency in our explanation of consecutive activation restrictions between the three games. The intention is that the restriction be the same for the live players in all three games.

Here is the intended restriction worded for GS: Once you activate any units in a given corps, whether by brigade, division, corps, kampfgruppe or single unit activation, NO units of that corps may be activated for the rest of the current impulse and the next impulse. For example, if you play a division card to activate the 2 Panzer Division (part of the XLVII Panzer Corps) you cannot activate any units of the XLVII Panzer Corps for the rest of the current impulse and your next impulse.

… and worded for 2P and AS: If you activate any units in a given corps, whether by brigade, division, corps, kampfgruppe or single unit activation, NO units of that corps may be activated in your next impulse. For example, if you play a division card to activate the 2 Panzer Division (part of the XLVII Panzer Corps) you cannot activate any units of the XLVII Panzer Corps in your next impulse.

The contradiction in the fourth sentence of the second example in GS 6.5 should read … “You may not play a division card for a division other than …”

Let me know if this clears up the situation.

This clarification and correction will be added to the next release of official addenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
JohnButterfield wrote:
Following this thread makes it clear to me that there is an inconsistency in our explanation of consecutive activation restrictions between the three games. The intention is that the restriction be the same for the live players in all three games.
Aha, thanks for following the thread!

Quote:
Here is the intended restriction worded for GS: Once you activate any units in a given corps, whether by brigade, division, corps, kampfgruppe or single unit activation, NO units of that corps may be activated for the rest of the current impulse and the next impulse. For example, if you play a division card to activate the 2 Panzer Division (part of the XLVII Panzer Corps) you cannot activate any units of the XLVII Panzer Corps for the rest of the current impulse and your next impulse.

… and worded for 2P and AS: If you activate any units in a given corps, whether by brigade, division, corps, kampfgruppe or single unit activation, NO units of that corps may be activated in your next impulse. For example, if you play a division card to activate the 2 Panzer Division (part of the XLVII Panzer Corps) you cannot activate any units of the XLVII Panzer Corps in your next impulse.
That all seems clearer! (And different from the rules as published.)

Just to check one thing:
What about 2P 6.1 that says for Allied activations by army or army group card: "any units stacked with units of the activated corps are also activated"? If I activate Corps X and some unit y from Corps Y is stacked with a unit x from Corps Y, then y is also activated; so this means both Corps X and Corps Y are restricted from activation of any of their units for the rest of the current impulse and the next impulse... right?

(Even though in some formal "card-play" sense, I only activated Corps X, I nonetheless also activated a unit in Corps Y, which I would assume counts for purposes of the consecutive action restriction.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

John, may you kindly confirm that during GS Allied Formation Activation all the units should be considered as part of the same formation (Corps) even if the activation was from a Divisional cards with multiple Divisions listed in? That is one single procedure with 3 Actions Cards etc and not an Actiation procedure for each Division...

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that assault co-ordination or reinforce battles has not activated those units.
Often at the start of the game I do what is called the leapfrog action. Here I activate LVIII and call in a XLVII corp amour division as reinforcements, then my next activation activate XLVII and call in the 116pz LVIII as reinforcements. Obviously you need the cards to do this but at the start their are 4 Army/Group cards and 3 others with reinforce battle so it often is available to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:

What about 2P 6.1 that says for Allied activations by army or army group card: "any units stacked with units of the activated corps are also activated"? If I activate Corps X and some unit y from Corps Y is stacked with a unit x from Corps Y, then y is also activated; so this means both Corps X and Corps Y are restricted from activation of any of their units for the rest of the current impulse and the next impulse... right?
Yes that is right. Corps Y cannot be activated in the next impulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
alextrov wrote:

John, may you kindly confirm that during GS Allied Formation Activation all the units should be considered as part of the same formation (Corps) even if the activation was from a Divisional cards with multiple Divisions listed in? That is one single procedure with 3 Actions Cards etc and not an Actiation procedure for each Division...
Yes, when multiple divisions are activated, it is a single activation with one draw of three action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Guillou-Keredan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
AD&D Fan
badge
What doesn't kill me gives me XP
Microbadge: ASLSK#1 fanMicrobadge: ASLSK#2 fanMicrobadge: Fire in the Lake fanMicrobadge: ASLSK#3 fanMicrobadge: ASLSK#4 fan
Hi
Since there are no "Activated" counters in the game, what are your tips for indicating this status ?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
Microbadge: Detective: City of Angels fanMicrobadge: Level 10 BGG posterMicrobadge: Everdell fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fan
BertGK wrote:
Hi
Since there are no "Activated" counters in the game, what are your tips for indicating this status ?

Thx
I just put markers that I have on top of one of the units of a formation to indicate that that group has been activated. When I'm sitting to play, it's easy to remember. When I step away, I usually jot some notes down on paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fabbro
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Fan of Disneyland Park in Anaheim, CAMicrobadge: Studio Ghibli fanMicrobadge: Tolkien fan
Unfortunately it's been too long since I had this set up, but I seem to recall my solution was to turn the activated groups 90 degrees, and turn them back after they were once again available for activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Guillou-Keredan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
AD&D Fan
badge
What doesn't kill me gives me XP
Microbadge: ASLSK#1 fanMicrobadge: ASLSK#2 fanMicrobadge: Fire in the Lake fanMicrobadge: ASLSK#3 fanMicrobadge: ASLSK#4 fan
Ok thanks
So, I'm going to make some specials markers (one for each corps) to note the number of remaining impulses with no activations.

Cheers

:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
BertGK wrote:
Hi

Thx
I just put markers that I have on top of one of the units of a formation to indicate that that group has been activated. When I'm sitting to play, it's easy to remember. When I step away, I usually jot some notes down on paper.
It's a long game and I recommend making notes. Great for those occasions when the kids try to eat your cards or when you have to leave unexpectedly!
(That said, if you're one of those guys who can sit and play wonderfully undisturbed, it's not that difficult to remember the units you activated twenty minutes ago, is it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls