Nicos F
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I miss saying THAC0.
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played our first game tonight with 5 players. It was a great.

The only question we had was about the limits on quests. The rules (page 17) state that there is no limit except that "you may commit to two quests of the same type."

There would seem to be only four different quest formulations:
1- have the most strength in one province in region X
2- have the most strength in two different provinces
3- have the most strength in Yggdrasil
4- have at least 4 figures in Valhalla before Ragnarok

Are each of these a "type" and therefore up to 2 from each of these 4 categories?

Or are 1- through 3- really the same "type" and therefore you can only have two of the "have the most strength in ..." quests plus up to 2 "at least 4 figures in Valhalla" quests?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
The exception is not really an exception, I believe it is meant as an example stating you can do two of the same quest. If it was meant to limit the number of quests you could take then the first part of the rule stating there is no limit does not make any sense. If you draft 6 quests you can complete all of them no matter which quests they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there is no 'up to' in the rule you quoted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:
The exception is not really an exception, I believe it is meant as an example stating you can do two of the same quest. If it was meant to limit the number of quests you could take then the first part of the rule stating there is no limit does not make any sense. If you draft 6 quests you can complete all of them no matter which quests they are.
I think it is meant as "identical quests", e.g. "have the most STR in a blue province" for example. The limitation is probably added because if you keep a quest card from one age to another, it's possible to have 3 identical quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicos wrote:
The only question we had was about the limits on quests. The rules (page 17) state that there is no limit except that "you may commit to two quests of the same type."
You misrepresent the rule. There is no limit. It says 'and', not 'except'. Having two of the same is not disallowed and are scored independently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Microbadge: FezMicrobadge: Mojito loverMicrobadge: Tiki fanMicrobadge: Your MomMicrobadge: Lava Lamp fan
Nicos wrote:
There would seem to be only four different quest formulations:
1- have the most strength in one province in region X
2- have the most strength in two different provinces
3- have the most strength in Yggdrasil
4- have at least 4 figures in Valhalla before Ragnarok
Does having two of the same quest mean you automatically get double points?

Or do you have to fulfill the conditions separately, i.e. if you have two of #1 above then you must have the most strength in 2 separate provinces in region X? Or with #4 above, you would have to have 8 figures in Valhalla?

We played you automatically get double points. I guess since for type 3 there is no other way, then perhaps that makes sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Great CthulhuMicrobadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook
No both quests can complete from controlling a single province or whatever the quest needs. You do not need to control two different yellow spots for example. One is fine.

In a five player game I believe in age 3 it's possible to draft three of the 4 units in Valhalla before ragnarok quest. They will all individually score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyler Swank
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Rulebook wrote:
There is no limit to the number of Quests you can commit to during each Age, and you may commit to two Quests of the same type (each giving its reward independently).
Here are our two interpretation options:

1. The number "two" is throwing us off. It's not the best wording and trying to indicate that “multiple” quests sharing the same type are allowed fully. In this case we can assume:

- There is no limit to the amount of quests you can commit to during an Age.
- And no limit regarding quests that share the exact same requirements during an Age. Go nuts.

2. The number "two" was used to indicate a limit specifically addressing quests sharing the same type. In this case we can assume:

- There is no limit to the amount of quests you can commit to during an Age.
- However, when handling quests that share the exact same requirements, a player may only commit to two of each during an Age.

I am not sure if it has been officially addressed yet which one was intended. If anyone knows, I'd love to as well. Otherwise at this time, I believe the choice is up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is number one. Repeat actions are allowed in general in this "can do" game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls