Hide
10 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are eradicated diseases reset at the beginning of game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max D
msg tools
This might seem like a daft question since eradicated diseases can get a positive mutation (hence a new "strain" of the disease warranting a new cure etc.) but it doesn't quite spell it out in the rules. Can anyone clarify? NO SPOILERS thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You start each game with all four diseases in play, unless a game component (e.g. legacy card) tells you otherwise. It might not be very thematic, but imagine you eradicate one disease in each of the first four games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No spoilers since it's not in the advent calendar (of doom), but pretty much, a positive mutation is the 3 columns of stickers that deal with making the disease easier to deal with. IF any disease does get eradicated, you get to put 0-2 positive mutations onto the eradicated disease's status area. However, you have to start with the first sticker in a column and work your way down. For instance, in the first game the blue region gets its disease eradicated. During the end game upgrades, you can choose to have one of those upgrades starting its positive mutation tree, or both, if none of the other end game upgrades are either doable or not attractive. Of course, if more than one gets eradicated, then those are valid for that endgame bonus period too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that in this case the word "eradicated" is misleading, it's more like the disease has been temporarily suppressed for a few weeks. But mechanically speaking it's similar to "eradicated" in the normal Pandemic game so the designer probably wanted to keep the word the same to avoid confusion with people who like the original version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
You start each game with all four diseases in play, unless a game component (e.g. legacy card) tells you otherwise. It might not be very thematic, but imagine you eradicate one disease in each of the first four games.
Having already played a number of times, I showed vanilla Pandemic to a group for the their first time, and we eradicated three diseases. If they game had lasted one more turn after the fourth cure, we could have eradicated the fourth. It was ridiculous. That would make for very boring Legacy play.

Edit: Edited to address the perfectly reasonable skepticism of the next poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
I showed vanilla Pandemic to a group for the first time, and we eradicated three diseases. If they game had lasted one more turn after the fourth cure, we could have eradicated the fourth. It was ridiculous. That would make for very boring Legacy play.
You eradicated three or you cured three?

I find it hard to believe that a group playing for the first time could accomplish this without making a mistake in a rule somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:

I find it hard to believe that a group playing for the first time could accomplish this without making a mistake in a rule somewhere.
Eradicated. I had lots of plays under my belt, but the rest hadn't seen Pandemic before. They were gamers, though, so picked up the strategy quickly. I can't remember whether we were playing with the standard amount of Epidemics or one fewer (the easier game), but I do remember that we blew the game out of the water. Luck of the draw played a large part, of course; everything just went right.

It sucked, because they came away with the feeling that the game wasn't challenging at all, and I don't think they've played it since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
swheelock wrote:
I showed vanilla Pandemic to a group for the first time, and we eradicated three diseases. If they game had lasted one more turn after the fourth cure, we could have eradicated the fourth. It was ridiculous. That would make for very boring Legacy play.

I second this thought, you first have to have the 5 cards necessary, then you need to find the cure at a research station, then you have to clear all the cubes from the board to eradicate a disease. Eradicating 3 is a long stretch. That being said if you eradicate one disease first turn (through the scientist + researcher combo) I can see it happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm impressed. I've never seen a group pull that off on the first play.
The best I've been able to do was eradicate 2 (which we were also able to do in our January game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
Well, I'm impressed. I've never seen a group pull that off on the first play.
It's certainly never happened again.

I'm wondering if it was sort of a cascading effect, where we eradicated one, then got lucky with the second one, and then those two colours kept coming off the infection deck, allowing us to concentrate on the remaining diseases.

Honestly, the details are fuzzy, as it was a while ago. The outcome definitely stuck in my mind, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls