Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The official game page shows 2 of the 4 captain cards: Dyson and Tyron. The rulebook also shows Tyron. Rahdo's runthrough mentions Kenneth (I think that's what he said) and James.

Are there no female (or ambiguous) captains? Any chance of having double-sided captain cards, with the same stats but a different gender on each side? I know it's just a name, since just about any humanoid could be inside those suits. But they are male names. All 4 of them. Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
France
Lower Normandy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Gorkamorka fanMicrobadge: I love FranceMicrobadge: I love Europe!Microbadge: 2020 Miniature Painters Guild Challenge participant
Re: Details on the captains?
+1 for this comment.

May well make or break my decision to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Hammer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Details on the captains?
According to the KS comments section there will be 8 captains in total; 6 male and 2 female.

Unless the captain cards are already going to be double sided (4 cards with a different captain on each side), having a male one side and female the other seems such a simple but effective option. It still puzzles me why it isn't used in more games.

Personally I don't need to know the captains first name, so Captain J. Bloggs would work fine and lets the player personalise the character by coming up with their own name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest forever!Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Con of the North attendee
Kristabelle wrote:
+1 for this comment.

May well make or break my decision to back.
Really? I've seen this discussion about other games too. Yes It's nice to have a male/female choice but does it have to be in every game? Yes I'm a guy but I would play a game with all female characters too and have chosen to play a female character over a male character in games before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
Yes I'm a guy but I would play a game with all female characters too and have chosen to play a female character over a male character in games before.
There are tons of threads on BGG and elsewhere explaining why it doesn't work both ways. I vote not to have that debate again in this one. Here is just one example, in the form of a blog that has addressed the issue in more than one post: The Bored Gaymer.

EDIT: Having all female captains wouldn't be a terrible choice for this game, by the way. But having a token male for those men who prefer not to cross gender lines, and for women who prefer to take on a male role in a game, would probably be a smarter marketing move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 18 BGG posterMicrobadge: Warhammer Quest forever!Microbadge: "TCAT" - Member of the Twin Cities Ameritrash GroupMicrobadge: Space Hulk fanMicrobadge: Con of the North attendee
peakhope wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
Yes I'm a guy but I would play a game with all female characters too and have chosen to play a female character over a male character in games before.
There are tons of threads on BGG and elsewhere explaining why it doesn't work both ways. I vote not to have that debate again in this one. Here is just one example, in the form of a blog that has addressed the issue in more than one post: The Bored Gaymer.

EDIT: Having all female captains wouldn't be a terrible choice for this game, by the way. But having a token male for those men who prefer not to cross gender lines, and for women who prefer to take on a male role in a game, would probably be a smarter marketing move.
I'm not trying to start a debate, sorry if that's what it sounded like.

I guess it's all personal preference and maybe I'm in the minority. I'm married with a daughter (she's 13) and neither my wife or daughter has issues with all male character games. I suppose having both genders solves any debates, I just never saw it as a problem (or anyone I game with) until I read some posts on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
Nope, your opening post didn't sound like you were attempting to start a debate. I just know that this topic tends to lead to heated discussion. Generally it's the same debate every time, so I was trying to proactively steer that debate over to where it has already been hashed out.

Out of curiosity, have you specially discussed this with your wife and daughter, or have they just never mentioned it? It's entirely possible that they really don't have issues with it (many women don't), but it's also possible they haven't bothered to voice any concerns to you. You can answer here, or not. I don't really need to know the answer, but wanted to mention the possibility. Just food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
peakhope wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
Nope, your opening post didn't sound like you were attempting to start a debate. I just know that this topic tends to lead to heated discussion. Generally it's the same debate every time, so I was trying to proactively steer that debate over to where it has already been hashed out.

Out of curiosity, have you specially discussed this with your wife and daughter, or have they just never mentioned it? It's entirely possible that they really don't have issues with it (many women don't), but it's also possible they haven't bothered to voice any concerns to you. You can answer here, or not. I don't really need to know the answer, but wanted to mention the possibility. Just food for thought.
Once I saw some posts on here I did ask them about it. Before that it never crossed my mind, which it did get me thinking at least. By the way my daughter plays a male dwarf fighter in D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
Bluehammer wrote:
According to the KS comments section there will be 8 captains in total; 6 male and 2 female.
Well, there's the answer to the question I missed on the contest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Bluehammer wrote:
Well, there's the answer to the question I missed on the contest...
Now if only you could travel back in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gong
United States
Kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of this topic too when I actually scrutinized the game. The nature of the game almost makes gender moot, but I can see why people want options. Heck, I was surprised they didn't just do double-sided character cards like what Myth did.

Other than the card, the identity of the commander is going to be largely irrelevant. If/when I play this, I won't refer to people by the name on the card -- I'm just going to call them by color or by the player's name.

Speaking of colors, I hope they do something about the yellow and orange. In one of the preview vids, those 2 colors looked REALLY CLOSE, so I'm not sure if it's a case of crappy cameras (ie. black or blue dress?) or they really do have similar colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vesuvius Media
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, thank you for pointing our these issues.

Regarding Captains Names we follow the storyline of our universe. The named captains are characters from our back stories.

Regarding the colors. These are are not the final colors for sure. These are post production colors hand painted. We know the issue between yellow and orange but we need the red for the bosses . So in the final color setup there will be bigger distance between yellow - orange and green - blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vesuvius Media wrote:
Regarding Captains Names we follow the storyline of our universe. The named captains are characters from our back stories.
Hopefully by the time expansions are being designed, you will have updated your universe's backstories. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vesuvius Media
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Vesuvius Media wrote:
Hopefully by the time expansions are being designed, you will have updated your universe's backstories. whistle
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

Some male players like to play female characters, some prefer to play male characters, some don't care either way.
Some female players like to play female characters, some prefer to play male characters, some don't care either way.

By all means, to cater all these preferences is the best way to go for a game designer, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls