Popular Tags: [View All]
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush and Blocking
1. Just want to clarify, during the first battle, champions that enter play via Ambush cannot be immediately be used as blockers because Blockers are declared in Step D. In F, defenders can only trigger champions' power or play event cards.

If the above is true, then would it be correct for me to say that when the defending player, has no champion on the board, he will never be able to block in the first battle.

Eliminating Blocker
2. Let me know if I play my steps correctly. I declare Kong as the attacker. My opponent send in a Succubus to block. I then play Forked Lightning to kill off the Succubus followed by a Brave Squire to give my Kong a total 18 attack. My opponent cannot play any event cards and at this moment, he could not declare further blockers even though he has other units. Are we playing correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Champions with Ambush can be played after attackers are declared, before blockers are declared. So the Ambush champion can block right away.

2. True, your opponent cannot block with any other champions. But the attack is still considered blocked, so Kong will deal no damage to your opponent.
If Kong has breakthrough, he will deal all his damage to the defending player, but without breakthrough, he will deal none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
brighknight_216 wrote:
Ambush and Blocking

Eliminating Blocker
2. Let me know if I play my steps correctly. I declare Kong as the attacker. My opponent send in a Succubus to block. I then play Forked Lightning to kill off the Succubus followed by a Brave Squire to give my Kong a total 18 attack. My opponent cannot play any event cards and at this moment, he could not declare further blockers even though he has other units. Are we playing correctly?
It's correct that the defender cannot assign more blockers at this point. But, the defender does have an opportunity to play events after you played your cards that eliminated his blocker.

Events/powers can be played back and forth until both sides pass and damage is assigned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with HenningK's answers.

One thing needs clarification: By "My opponent send[s] in a Succubus to block", do you mean the Succubus is already in play and blocks in the Choose Blockers Step, or do you mean he plays it with ambush before blockers are declared?

If you play Forked Lightning after the blocker is declared, the attack is still blocked and without breakthrough, Kong will not deal damage to your opponent.

Page 13 of the rules: "If the attack is blocked, they remain blocked even if the blocker(s) leave play."

If you kill the Succubus before blockers are declared, he could still choose another blocker or blockers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
I agree with HenningK's answers.

One thing needs clarification: By "My opponent send[s] in a Succubus to block", do you mean the Succubus is already in play and blocks in the Choose Blockers Step, or do you mean he plays it with ambush before blockers are declared?

If you play Forked Lightning after the blocker is declared, the attack is still blocked and without breakthrough, Kong will not deal damage to your opponent.

Page 13 of the rules: "If the attack is blocked, they remain blocked even if the blocker(s) leave play."

If you kill the Succubus before blockers are declared, he could still choose another blocker or blockers.
Thanks for the clarification. To answer the above, Succubus is already on board. I thought I wait for my opponent to declare his/her blocker and then destroy them so I can deliver the damage straight to the player.

I appreciate that you point out the rule clarification on page 13.

However, this brings me to a strange situation. What if I play Turn and take control Succubus after Succubus is declared as a blocker. Technically speaking, my Kong's attack will still be considered blocked but thematically, it seems to defy logic that once Succubus already declare the blocker and later switch side, she would have left the path open for Kong to do his rampaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocked is blocked, no matter if the defender then gets killed or turned to your side.

Imagine it like this: Kong realizes there is a Succubus ready to stand in his way, so he slows down and prepares for battle. Then, all of a sudden, the Succubus gets seduced to your side, so Kong sits at his battleground, looking puzzled. He is so confused that he cannot deal damage to your opponent anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Blocked is blocked, no matter if the defender then gets killed or turned to your side.

Imagine it like this: Kong realizes there is a Succubus ready to stand in his way, so he slows down and prepares for battle. Then, all of a sudden, the Succubus gets seduced to your side, so Kong sits at his battleground, looking puzzled. He is so confused that he cannot deal damage to your opponent anymore.
Probably Kong is more distracted by the Succubus now that she is in his side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brighknight_216 wrote:
I thought I wait for my opponent to declare his/her blocker and then destroy them so I can deliver the damage straight to the player.
This works if the champion has breakthrough, and it can really catch your opponent on the wrong foot and win you the game. Breakthrough and any kind of removing the blocker after the blocker has been declared means damage straight to the face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 15
Microbadge: Dice Throne Season 2 fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Champions of Midgard fanMicrobadge: Epic fanMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game Fan
Ambush champions can be used to block on the turn they're played, but it's not "right away".

If you play any cards during step B then your opponent has an opportunity to play cards until both players have consecutively passed to step C.
If your opponent attacks with Thundarus, and you play Watchful Gargoyle during step B, your opponent could play hurricane in step B to break Watchful Gargoyle before you get to declare any blockers in step C. Thundarus remains unblocked.

Edit: To clarify, champs played in B may block in C but only if they survive B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
Ambush champions can be used to block on the turn they're played, but it's not "right away".

If you play any cards during step B then your opponent has an opportunity to play cards until both players have consecutively passed to step C.
If your opponent attacks with Thundarus, and you play Watchful Gargoyle during step B, your opponent could play hurricane in step B to break Watchful Gargoyle before you get to declare any blockers in step C. Thundarus remains unblocked.

According to the Rulebook on page 15, it says that you may play a Champion with ambush anytime you are allowed to play an event even during your opponent's turn. My question is that in Step B, if it is my opponent's turn, there no window for me to play Events. Only the opponent can do so. So my question is when can we actually play a Champion with Ambush? Which step it should be?

Bases in the above explanation, it seems that if I played an Ambush champion at Step B (if this is a valid play), my opponent can then see which champion is in play and react accordingly, so I would probably lose my elements of Surprise unless I play a champion that can help me control the board before my opponent can initiate an attack like Ice Drake to expend all opponent's Champion.

But if I play my Ambush champion in Step F, I will not be able to use that Champion to block because it is after declaring the Blocker step. Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brighknight_216 wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:

According to the Rulebook on page 15, it says that you may play a Champion with ambush anytime you are allowed to play an event even during your opponent's turn. My question is that in Step B, if it is my opponent's turn, there no window for me to play Events. Only the opponent can do so. So my question is when can we actually play a Champion with Ambush? Which step it should be?

Bases in the above explanation, it seems that if I played an Ambush champion at Step B (if this is a valid play), my opponent can then see which champion is in play and react accordingly, so I would probably lose my elements of Surprise unless I play a champion that can help me control the board before my opponent can initiate an attack like Ice Drake to expend all opponent's Champion.

But if I play my Ambush champion in Step F, I will not be able to use that Champion to block because it is after declaring the Blocker step. Am I right?

The steps are

A - Declare attackers
B - Attacker plays events and uses powers
C - Defender plays events and uses powers

D - Declare blockers
E - Attacker plays events and uses powers
F - Defender plays events and uses powers

Damage step

If you want to block with your ambush champion, you must play it before blockers are declared. The only step you're allowed to play something before that is done is in step C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 15
Microbadge: Dice Throne Season 2 fanMicrobadge: Star Realms fanMicrobadge: Champions of Midgard fanMicrobadge: Epic fanMicrobadge: Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game Fan
brighknight_216 wrote:
My question is that in Step B, if it is my opponent's turn, there no window for me to play Events.
I apologize for the confusion. My "step" names were based on the Epic One sheet .pdf. I assumed the step names were consistent across all rule materials, but apparently that's not the case. I think the combat breakdown is easier to grasp in the One Sheet Rules.

You may only play ambush champs and events at 3 points during an opponents turn.

1. Before blockers
This champ may be used to block this combat... because it's before blockers are declared

2. After blockers
This champ cannot be added as a blocker... because blockers have already been declared. However, this champ may be used to defend during the next round of combat this turn if your opponent launches another attack.

3. When your opponent declares the end of their turn
Though we're not in the combat phase at the moment, if your opponent chooses to attack again this turn, you may use this champ as a blocker during the "declare blockers" step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just encountered this situation in our previous play. My opponent declared a Burrowing Wurm as the attacker and it has Breakthrough. I played Lurking Giant via Ambush. Then I declared Lurking Giant as the blocker. My opponent played Erase and return the Lurking Giant into my hand. Since if an attacker is blocked even though the blocker is no longer on the board, how do we resolved the breakthrough effect? I believe since my blocker is gone, my defence would be zero and will have to take the full 18 damage. Would this be the correct way to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls