Subject: warriors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I've done some reading on the Roman army recently (I'm no expert, though) and know that the Roman's had all types of troops, such as heavy and light infantry plus auxiliaries but would such a highly disciplined army have a type of unit to match the warriors from CCA. I thought that such a class would be suitable for the barbarian armies but not the Roman despite using men from all nationalities.

Thank you for any historical guidance.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My next game: TENNISmind, a simple yet realistic tennis match on your table
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
The Roman army has Warrior blocks, but they are not used often, at least when the Gray army represents Rome. And when they are used, usually you find in the historical background what they represent.

For example, going quickly through the scenario book, I find 2nd Beneventum in which Gracchus used two legions of slaves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, Warriors on Roman side are very rare in CCA scenaros - which correctly shows their use by Roman Army - sporadic, opportunistic but not a general rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Romans used various allies in most wars, I have some recollection of Spanish Celto-Iberian allied troops in the 2nd Punic War. Julius Caesar used German cavalry extensively in the conquest of Gaul.

In the Empire period the extensive use of Barbarian mercenaries. Hunnish cavalry was widely used when they were available.

As the Empire rolled into the Byzantine period, the army became almost exclusively Barbarian, sometimes captured enemy troops moved to foreign lands to fight as Roman (Byzantine) allies. The Visigoths came into the Empire seeking refuge from the Huns, and were sent to Italy to evict the Vandals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gents

Thank you all very much for coming back to me. You are right in that the warriors are not used much in the game from the Roman side and that would indicate that a warrior class was rarely used. It looks very much that the Roman's relied, at times,more on foreign troops in their raw state than my reading suggested; I need to broaden my reading material

All the best
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:
I need to broaden my reading material
I love the way C&C opens up an interest in new historical periods. It's been C&C:N and The Great War for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Cole
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Roman army frequently used "allied" units both as alae (wings) and even in the main battle lines. In the Imperial period, the Romans professionalized/standardized Auxilia units that were usually drawn from their respective localities, and which held citizenship as a reward for enlistment. Such units would frequently be made of "barbarians."

I would expect any Roman army to have some disorganized "warrior" units made up of "friends and allies." I think C&C:A is pretty spot on in working this into the scenarios.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls