james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

i'm trying to put together my want list for a current math trade, i've already purchased, though havent actually played battlelore, would i still want/need Commands & Colors: Ancients? i'm not a wargammer and it's unlikely that my two player sessions will be that great...but

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, and whilst the rules are very similar (though couched in different units), I find Battlelore to be much more physically appealing. The CCA system 'looks' very bland, the board is a dull colour, the pieces are only wooden blocks with confusing stickers, whilst Battlelore (as I guess you would know) is more colourful. There is an argument that CCA is more strategic, and I would agree with this, but I would also argue (and many may disagree) that this does also take a lot of the fun out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't a wargamer you probably don't want C&C: Ancients. It's basically the same system but C&C:A definitely has more depth - which means it's a bit more complex in both rules and strategy. Usually that means less fun to non-wargamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Until you have some idea of how much you LIKE BattleLore, I don't see how you could have any idea about C&C:A.

Even still, there are four basic possibilities:

You might love BattleLore but feel no need to have another game bearing similar mechanics, or feel the magic/fantasy is integral to your enjoyment of the game.

You might love BattleLore and thirst for more applications of the same fundamental system.

You might hate BattleLore primarily due to the fantasy and magical elements and wish you had a game of more beliavable/historical events.

You might hate BattleLore and hate the whole C&C system entirely.

Until you play BattleLore and identify what you like/dislike about it, it's almost impossible to tell you whether you should pursue C&C:A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be put off C&C:A by the wargames element- all the games in Borg's C&C series are fast and furious fun above all. Likewise I wouldn't worry too much about the components of C&C:A- they certainly aren't as glossy as DoW's top quality parts, but they are just fine.

What C&C:A has over Battlelore is:
1. the detail of unit types
2. the leader and evasion rules.
Taken together, these make for a satisfying tactical challenge in what is perhaps the best version of the game. But Battlelore has all sorts of equally interesting elements that are unique to itself, eg. the Lore rules- which are just great.

That said, I think you'd best see how much you like Battlelore before investing in another C&C game. If Battlelore becomes a favourite game that you play a lot, then I think you'd appreciate the different flavour of C&C:A. It would also be a good idea to see if you can try someone else's C&C:A before deciding if you want it.

In short: you don't need C&C:A. But if you do try it, you will find that it's a distinct game in its own right, and not just a version of Battlelore without the monsters and magic. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need C&C:A at all. As an owner of Memoir '44 AND C&C:A, that's my take. Take your BattleLore and sink into it like a pig in butter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all of the replies.

i didnt win C&C in the math trade...so all is good in the hood regardless.

but some of the points are def well taken.

i've played a sample game of battlelore solo and played a few turns against a mate while we had some time to kill before going out(it was already setup). Thus far it seems like something that would be up my alley.

for me the theme combined with the wargame elements are extremely appealing. the simple play card move/attack actually seems almost too simple...but i'll wait until i understand the game and well of course actually play a few full games b4 casting that kind of opinion.
-
j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.