Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: I sleeve everythingMicrobadge: BattleCON: Devastation of Indines fan - Karin BrandtfordMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fan
Whats a good way to get some good blood effects on like the lions jaw and the butchers blades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
I have to thank Kingdom Death: Monster for finally knowing the exact number of penises I can tolerate in a miniature (surprisingly, that number is not zero)
badge
We used to call the Prodigal Sorcerer "the antiaesthetic one" when we played MtG in 1995. I still think this is the better definition.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I never went technical in english about it so I don't know what's the proper name in english, but for blood on fangs and around mouth you can use a brush that has a sponge in the tip soaked in red pigment with water - it is a quick way to make believable gory fur. If you want, you can use a toothpick with a small piece of bath sponge, it will work all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful with using something with too much water in it. If you're dabbing something too wet it will run everywhere you don't want it.

I would suggest poking at some high gloss reds.

This tutorial looks interesting.
http://www.bushido-thegame.com/articles/painting-gore-tutori...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
I have to thank Kingdom Death: Monster for finally knowing the exact number of penises I can tolerate in a miniature (surprisingly, that number is not zero)
badge
We used to call the Prodigal Sorcerer "the antiaesthetic one" when we played MtG in 1995. I still think this is the better definition.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's a good suggestion
PS: in my previous suggestion, you are using the brush with a sponge exactly to avoid the wash going in the recess of the mini

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Games Workshop has a paint called blood for the blood god. Tamiya I believe has one called clear red. They are both fairly similar and work well to add blood. Essentially they are a deep red paint with medium added and gloss varnish so they dry with a wet look. They work straight out of the bottle and you just add them wherever you want, there are hundreds of tutorials on techniques for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian L
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here guys, take a look at those tutorials:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/2010/05/tutorial-how-to-pai...

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/2009/10/tutorial-making-ugl...

and maybe this one too:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.de/2013/06/tutorial-blood-drop...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always do blood effects with red ink (calligraphy ink or indian ink). It lays flat on the model (flatter than acrylic paint), so if you want some body, mix a little matte media or pva glue. Both will dull the effect a little bit, so you might want to go back over it with a higher gloss sealer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeadhunteraGr wrote:
Neat! I've never used Tamiya Clear Red, though I regularly use glazing effects. I just ordered some to try it out. Thanks.

This blog is really good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Wanders
Netherlands
flag msg tools
A combination of Tamiya Clear Red and GWs "Blood for the Blood God" SFX paints should work quite well I imagine, perhaps augmented with red inks.

For those working with Tamiya Clear Red for the first time.
One tip, ensure that the layer of paint you're putting it on is 100% dry before trying to apply anything.

The Tamiya Clears use a mix of Glycol-Ether and Isopropyl-alcohol as their solvent (it also makes the paint smell faintly of green apples).

Tamiya Clear paints can damage your careful paint work if you're not careful. Usually I just stipple it on, rather than actually painting with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tamiya X-27 Clear Red. It's what I used on the belly-maw of the Screaming Antelope and it's great. Doesn't quite come through in the photo, though. It's great if you just want to do something simple but effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadel paints aren't amazing, but they have some nice effects paints in their Technical line, including a fresh blood one. Probably the least work-intensive option (it's acrylic so needs no special treatment), and not horribly expensive. Just be sure to do it after varnishing like with all gloss finishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone on Reddit posted an awesome screaming antelope. I'd check that thread to see what he used for a really viscous looking gore. I'm sticking to GW paints as they are the most prevalent throughout my area and I learned to avoid mixing my own after painting Super Dungeon Explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian L
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
HeadhunteraGr wrote:
Neat! I've never used Tamiya Clear Red, though I regularly use glazing effects. I just ordered some to try it out. Thanks.

This blog is really good too.
I love this blog. The whole Group is so talented. And they even hold Workshops for noobies like me It's so awesome and frustrating to see one paint around 10 minutes and he's like "well thats just a rough sketch on the mini but you can already see how I want to paint it" and you are just standing next to him thinking "are you f**** kidding me? that mini is already finished... in 10 minutes". unfortunately they mostly travel around in Germany with the Workshop. But the blog has a great number of tutorials and I think they are reviving their YouTube-account with some Video tutorials

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls