David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. What is your favorite Wizard minion?
2. What is your favorite Wizard action?
3. What faction do you like to pair Wizards with?
4. What do you think about the Wizard bases (School of Magic, Great Library)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizards are my favorite Core Set faction.

1: I really like all of them except Neophytes.

2: Mystic Studies and Scry.

3: Dinosaurs.

4. Great Library is great indeed, but School of Magic...eh, it's ok I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
1) Archmage. Just enables too many funny things

2) Scry. Being able to search in Smash Up is amazing. Sacrifice gets honorable mention.

3) Anything really. They're one of the most smashable decks in the entire game. I do personally like them with Dinosaurs, Ants, Apes & Time-Travelers.

4) They're pretty token/standard. Nothing really to write home about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Archmage and Chronomage
2 Scry
3 Tricksters and aliens
4 too boring / not remarkable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Archmage is definitely the best minion, but I have a real soft spot for Neophytes.
2. Mass Enchantment.
3. Dinosaurs for a classic power combo, Apes because you can never have too many extra actions with them, and Ghosts, which allows you to get down to two card hands by playing extra stuff rather than discarding.
4. Both of their bases are considered "safe" bases to go for. Great Library in particular gets played on pretty often because it has high power, a respectable breakpoint, and a pretty low-risk beneficial ability. School of Wizardry is kinda low on the points, but has a pretty awesome ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Let's Go Chiefs!
badge
Coração Brasileiro
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Kansas City Chiefs fanMicrobadge: Go Chiefs!Microbadge: 2020 Copper Supporter
CNightmare072 wrote:
1) Archmage. Just enables too many funny things

2) Scry. Being able to search in Smash Up is amazing. Sacrifice gets honorable mention.

3) Anything really. They're one of the most smashable decks in the entire game. I do personally like them with Dinosaurs, Ants, Apes & Time-Travelers.

4) They're pretty token/standard. Nothing really to write home about.
I was going to reply but this is exactly what I would have said. Even if it won't get me most power, wizards are my number one pick to mash with just about anything in the game (except tricksters)

My personal favorites are Wizard-Dinos, Wizard-Ponies (can be OP depending on your card draw), and Wizard-Elder Things (can also be OP, but more because Elder Things don't often have madness factions to counter them)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
I was going to reply but this is exactly what I would have said. Even if it won't get me most power, wizards are my number one pick to mash with just about anything in the game (except tricksters)
Wizards really help with most tricksters weakness - they make the shroud usable several times (more draw and empty deck + scry) and allow you to disrupt significantly due increased draw and extra actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'd say my favorite minion for its power level is definitely Neophyte, especially if you get lucky enough to draw Portal.

My favorite action is of course Mass Enchantment, cuz it's the ultimate smash-up, mixing in other factions' actions into your gameplay.

I haven't tried pairing them up with Princesses, which are heavy on the actions, but I'd like to try that. Otherwise, extra card draw/play always goes great with your favorite faction, which in my case is Minions of Cthulu.

My favorite bases are ones that result in wacky/unusual play. "After this base scores" is always dull, but it's okay to have some dull ones in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
I'd say my favorite minion for its power level is definitely Neophyte, especially if you get lucky enough to draw Portal.
Try playing neophyte AFTER a portal.
You can chain it with a summon (if it shows up during portal) and then play another neophyte and chain another action.

While we are at it, you can setup neophytes with spies.

Dave wrote:
I haven't tried pairing them up with Princesses, which are heavy on the actions, but I'd like to try that.
It offsets the minion weakness very well, if you draw enough cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
desocupado wrote:
Dave wrote:
Try playing neophyte AFTER a portal.
Yeah, I actually meant drawing Portal beforehand, not as a result of playing Neophyte.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
Quick Honorable mention of one of my favorite Wizard plays:

Hidden Ninja into Chronomage. You essentially get to take a mini-turn before a base scores

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Herzeg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minion: Either Archmage or Neophyte
Action: Definitely Portal
Pairing: There are a bunch of good ones because Wizards are so splashable, but I think pairing them with their fellow magic users the Mages is probably my favorite combo, right now.
Bases: The Great Library acts kinda like a mini Terraforming which can be really nice, sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls