Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see potential first player issues, the hacks around industry counters and the one double gold spot, I have NO CLUE what a good strategy might look like, but holy cow, my first game was an excellent experience.

The feel of the interlocking mechanisms was so engaging, I see no way this shouldn't be seen to parallel Brass and Automobile.

Fanboy sure*, but thanks Martin, Ships is a great great game.

(* And I'll get round to playing Moongha one day probably, and actually finishing a game of Onwards to Venus eventually...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
This fanboy also really enjoyed his one play. Not so sure about the first player issue though. Most people report it being a big advantage to be the last player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

The feel of the interlocking mechanisms was so engaging, I see no way this shouldn't be seen to parallel Brass . . .
I felt the exact same way after my first 2 or 3 plays. Glad I sprung for the Limited Edition. I'm up to 6 now, and this is one of the best already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice, but I'll throw in my two cents. I think this has the potential to be a Wallace masterpiece. After both games I couldn't stop thinking about either for the next day or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

The feel of the interlocking mechanisms was so engaging, I see no way this shouldn't be seen to parallel Brass . . .
I felt the exact same way after my first 2 or 3 plays. Glad I sprung for the Limited Edition. I'm up to 6 now, and this is one of the best already.
Yes, the minimal loss of artwork in favour of the 3D benefits is an obvious choice in this case, given the pieces match the era icons etc., there's no compromise at all, unlike OTV.

Tigrillo wrote:
This fanboy also really enjoyed his one play. Not so sure about the first player issue though. Most people report it being a big advantage to be the last player.
I was wondering if there could be a simple variable turn order mechanic to negate that. It could well be similar to Brass, maybe most available cubes or most potential gold after sales.

I don't like thoughtless clockwise turn order in games, and I think it could add genuine decisions in this game.

But ultimately I'd rather find that last player advantage is group think and it floats off into the ether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls