Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
2 - 6 players: NO !

Sure, you can split the pirates - everyone gets one hero (out of 3) and plays with this hero until he is out - then you have a bit downtime.

It might be scalable when using expansions - like the "chinese" box where you have 3 small vessels vs one ship but IMHo this is a 2 player game - and not a very fun one. It is simple - very simple.

If you have 2 - 6 players try (when 4 a re around that is ) Arcadia Quest - much more fun and it gets a good laugh when the cutthroat - effect hammers in.

R&B is IMHO over when one side gets certain tiles that boost the abilities or kill the Kraken while the other side is still "trying" - it is dice-rollin' in its purest form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely 2 player only. And while I agree that it is fairly simple, it is ALOT of fun. Sure there's the luck of the dice but there is certainly a good amount of strategy and tactical play. All that said, watch some reviews/playthroughs and if your still on the fence then don't buy it. The price point is quite steep for a game you're not sure about. If you get a chance then try to play a copy and you'll know for sure if its for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azn_fire_fly wrote:
My play group is within the group that is at or just above the gateway gamer. I am wondering if this game is easy to explain/play. Drags for longer than an hour and how this game scales from 2 players to 6. I want to get this but I just want to make sure it'll hit the table.
If you're just past gateway gamer, I would say no, not yet. It's simple in concept, but there is some deeper strategy to it.

The game scales quite well from 2 to 6 players. It's probably quicker with just 2, but I've played 2 vs. 2 and 3 vs. 3 games that were quite enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls