Subject: Rules clarifications after the third Klein attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aldo Cristilli
Italy
Roma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Black Sonata fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Architects of the West KingdomMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan - Deluxe Edition owner
A question:
"After the third Klein attack is resolved the final three attack locations are immediately revealed and players either survive or are eliminated. There is no chance to be chased when the 4th, 5th and 6th Klein locations are revealed. One Klein has attached all the locations the act is over".
So, after the 6th Klein location is revealed, we have on the location board 6 location cards flipped over and no longer accessible in current Act.
Then the only safe location card is Klein's lair. As a maximum of 2 players are allowed to be on a single location at the same time, then in a 6 player game, after the 6th Klein location is revealed, there are at least 4 players that are killed and eliminated from the game.
This part of rule is not clear for me.
Can someone enlighten me, please ? :-)

Thanks
Aldo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Toystorian
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the final Klein attack in the first Act 3 people can survive using hiding places and 2 can survive on the safe location that is Klein's lair. The only way for all 6 to survive is to declare Klein's lair before the 3rd attack begins. In subsequent Acts it depends on how many hiding places remain in the game. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aldo Cristilli
Italy
Roma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Black Sonata fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Architects of the West KingdomMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fan - Deluxe Edition owner
TheToystoryian wrote:
During the final Klein attack in the first Act 3 people can survive using hiding places and 2 can survive on the safe location that is Klein's lair. The only way for all 6 to survive is to declare Klein's lair before the 3rd attack begins. In subsequent Acts it depends on how many hiding places remain in the game. Hope that helps.
It makes sense.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Verwerft
Belgium
Berlaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean that when you successfully hide the attack you don't get scared and haven't got to move to an adjacent place on the 4th, 5th and 6th attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were hiding and your location was attacked during the end of Act bloodbath, you don't need to move but you must start the next Act scared. Bottom of page 22.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Verwerft
Belgium
Berlaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyking wrote:
If you were hiding and your location was attacked during the end of Act bloodbath, you don't need to move but you must start the next Act scared. Bottom of page 22.
Thanks, we also played it wrong in this case. When we were hidden we moved to an possible adjacent place but off course only the 2 people standing on the lair survived that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when I first played the PnP ages ago my first thought was "4 players are going to be really bored after the first round".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
msg tools
I agree that it it sounds like too much elimination right away. I'm going to keep that rule for "advanced play." Otherwise it will most likely become a 2 player game after the first act, and only if two players are lucky enough to be in the lair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Verwerft
Belgium
Berlaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concretedog wrote:
I agree that it it sounds like too much elimination right away. I'm going to keep that rule for "advanced play." Otherwise it will most likely become a 2 player game after the first act, and only if two players are lucky enough to be in the lair.
Very advanced play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Concretedog wrote:
It just goes to show how important it is to grab a hiding place, especially if you don't have one immediately after the second attack.

Playing my first game, I didn't realise how important it can be to make sure you have somewhere you can potentially run to if you haven't grabbed a hiding place. It takes some planning to get right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franco franco
msg tools
So when a player uses an hiding place during the third attack, in the next Act is that hiding place removed from the game only for the next Act or for the entire game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franco1234 wrote:
So when a player uses an hiding place during the third attack, in the next Act is that hiding place removed from the game only for the next Act or for the entire game?
When you start a new Act, everything is reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franco franco
msg tools
But Greg says (above) in the subsequent acts it depends on how many hiding places remain.
So from an Act to another the number of hiding places can change. And so there are no reset every act beginning. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franco1234 wrote:
But Greg says (above) in the subsequent acts it depends on how many hiding places remain.
So from an Act to another the number of hiding places can change. And so there are no reset every act beginning. Correct?
I think he meant: “In subsequent Acts it depends on how many hiding places remain in the game, if any hiding places have been used in that Act.”

The rules on page 13 say, “If you survive an attack by using a hiding place that hiding place is no longer available for the remainder of the Act.” It would have said “rest of the game” if they were permanently lost.

Also, the Act Setup rules on page 9 say, “Place the HIDING PLACE TILES for the Act next to the board.” It doesn’t say anything about “unless they were used in a previous round.”

I think it’s just easiest to remember that when you set up a new Act, you are basically resetting everything (although some characters may start the new Act scared).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franco franco
msg tools
I understand. I was confused because in the rulebook says when you survive the third attack of an Act by using an hiding place you have NOT TO RESOLVE THIS ACTION IMMEDIATELY BUT IN THE NEST ACT. So at the beginning of the next Act you have to remove the hiding place FOR THE REST OF THAT ACT (the new act) and also you begin scared. I don't know. Maybe you are right, but I feel a bit confused about that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franco1234 wrote:
... in the rulebook says when you survive the third attack of an Act by using an hiding place you have NOT TO RESOLVE THIS ACTION IMMEDIATELY BUT IN THE NEST ACT.
I don’t see that in the rule book. Can you let me know where you see that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franco franco
msg tools
I found it in the updated rulebook, here on bgg. I don't remember the link. I have the pdf downloaded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I only have the rule book that came with the game. I see the updated rule book now. That update seems to make it more confusing.

That would also imply that the character that was hiding also has to move to an adjacent location at the beginning of the next Act, and if they can’t (like if all adjacent locations are full), that character would die.

Maybe they made this rule change because they wanted there to be more consequences to hiding during the 3rd attack. The way it was before, if you successfully hid during the 3rd attack of an Act, the only consequence was that you had to start the next Act scared. But with this rule change, you have to start the next Act scared, you prevent players from using that hiding space for that entire Act, and you could die if there’s no adjacent location available.

I don’t know — the game seems hard enough as it is. I would rather just start every Act fresh, with all hiding spaces available, even if someone used one during the 3rd attack of the previous Act.

Also, what do you do if you are using the expansion and you are going from Act 1 to Act 2? In that case, all the locations and hiding spots are new. So if you are hiding in the boat at the lake after the 3rd attack in Act 1, you would begin the next Act in the cellar. But if you are supposed to resolve the hiding action at that point, you don’t have the cellar hiding spot token in your possession, you just have the lake hiding spot token.

I don’t know, I think I’ll continue playing it my way unless Greg chimes in with more clear direction on what that update to the rules is supposed to mean.

So my way is that if you are at the lake and you have the boat token, and Klein attacks the lake as part of his 3rd attack, you are safe. Then when we set up for the next Act, you start at the lake (or cellar) and you just stay there until it’s your turn — you dont have to move to an adjacent location. However, you are flipped to your scared side. Then the boat token is placed back with the other available hiding spots near the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls