Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Madison
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Trying to figure out the differences between all the Coup.

I've played Coup, and it's great. Just got Reformation and G54.

I see that the *rules* for Guatemala 1954 are the same as G54, but are the contents the same? I see that "Guatemala 1954: Anarchy" is listed as an expansion for G54, but I am presuming this is a mistake due to listing G54 and Guatemala as the same game? Or do they actually have the same card backings? Or, does G54 essentially already contain the Anarchy roles?

And finally, what is "Coup: Funbox"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here is how it all works.

Coup. The original game. In the original edition, sometimes called the City State edition and published at Essen in 2012, you played the "head of a family in an Italian city state." The game was then republished by Indie Boards & Cards with new artwork and set in the Resistance universe. In north america, this is the edition that most people have encountered. The game was also rethemed with new artwork in a number of countries.

Coup Reformation. Expansion to the original game. A limited number of copies (400, I think) were printed for the City State edition. It was also rethemed for the resistance universe and widely available with that artwork.

Coup: Guatemala 1954. A sequel to the original game. It has a similar structure to the original but it is separate game and not an expansion. The original edition was released at Essen in 2014 with the Guatemala 1954 setting and artwork.

Coup Rebellion G54. This is the same game as Coup Guatemala 1954, but published by Indie Boards & Cards with new artwork and set in the Resistance universe. It is now widely available in North America and the edition that most people will encounter.

Coup Guatemala 1954: Anarchy This is an expansion to the original Guatemala 1954 edition. It introduces new roles and uses the same artwork as that original edition. These new roles are not yet available for the CG54 Rebellion edition (ie, the resistance themed edition from IBC), but it will certainly be picked up and published as an expansion with new artwork. The Rebellion G54 box certainly has the space for it!

I don't know what Coup: Funbox is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAICT Funbox is the publisher of the Brazilian version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the Origional coup was reskinned in the Resistance universe with the whole space Gothic cyberpunk theme. Then reformation is the expansion to that which added faction cards that allowed someone to chose the reformist side which shared the same insignia as the resistance and the loyalist side which shared the same insignia as the spies.

G-54 (often called Crazy Coup by my tabletop gaming club) is the latest version for the Resistance themed coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wiebe
Canada
Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you mix and match roles between Coup, Coup Reformation, and Coup Rebellion G54?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dawiebe wrote:
Can you mix and match roles between Coup, Coup Reformation, and Coup Rebellion G54?
No - in Coup, roles will interact with each other by naming other roles specifically (Contessa vs Assassin, for example). This kind of interaction does not exist in G54 since the roles used in each game are different. Instead, in G54, roles will counteract themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls