Hide
12 Posts

Rum & Bones» Forums » General

Subject: First Player Problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jan ganske
msg tools
We play 4 Games of Rum & Bones and have the Problem: The First player wins the Game. He go over the ship and hits so hart that the second Player ist in Defense and cannot Win. Have you this Experience too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
Lyppes
Microbadge: Cloudspire fanMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: Chip Theory Games fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones: Undertow fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones fan
The designer spoke more on this topic here.

In your early games it can feel like the first player has an advantage, but I immediately started to counter that by going right after their objectives. You have to pressure back. If you only defend you will lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
but I immediately started to counter that by going right after their objectives. You have to pressure back. If you only defend you will lose.
But since they already went first and started attacking your objectives, won't this strategy lose every time?

To me there is a definite start player advantage and the designer's posts don't address it very well. I would recommend trying out this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
Lyppes
Microbadge: Cloudspire fanMicrobadge: I play with poker chipsMicrobadge: Chip Theory Games fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones: Undertow fanMicrobadge: Too Many Bones fan
theaaron wrote:
But since they already went first and started attacking your objectives, won't this strategy lose every time?
Honestly you can let an objective go. If you start hammering theirs they have to respond. You can also "block" an objective by standing on it, then they have to damage your hero first. Of course, they might be saavy and stand on it themselves, which is a fine move, however that only works for the first objective.

In addition, there's the question of the Kraken and Sea Dragon. These have a major impact on play, and scoring.

I have gone second in over half of my games and I have only lost once period. Further, I've been known to bring on the wrath of the Kraken, and also, also wik, have won many of my games thanks to the Kraken kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
I have not yet seen any start player advantage in my plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I have not yet seen any start player advantage in my plays.
Two plays and each side won a game. I saw no first player advantage, but readily admit that I want to play more prior to "making up my mind".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CRL CRL
Spain
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had that problem till last game that the first player wiped me out of the game.

(We were 2VS2 but we were playing with the 1vs1 rules)
They just came across the gangplank and attack without too much succeed but constantly any attempt that we tried to go to the enemy ship they stopped us with cards or just we had bad luck with the rigging checks and we couldn't make they to pay their zerg attack, and we lost like rats.

But I hope that that was just a bad day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hirsch
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
In that post, the original poster had missed the "one hero per deployment zone" rule. I wonder how many other people aren't catching that rule, because it makes a big difference on the first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mongrel wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
In that post, the original poster had missed the "one hero per deployment zone" rule. I wonder how many other people aren't catching that rule, because it makes a big difference on the first turn.
Agreed. I think its pretty much common sense though. No crazy rules! I just was not understanding how people were damaging one objective so much. If they focused on the center one, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tonino
msg tools
mbmb
I'd like it if the second player at least had some tide cards in their hand to start with. Being second feels bad as it is, but it gets worse if the other players starts throwing defensive cards while you have none yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest if it is THAT big of a deal to players to allow the second player 1 tide card to start the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls