Hi,It's the "Advanced Game" variant, to play only up to Age II. It was described in the older version rules and might be included in the new Handbook. If you'd like to try it out, here are the differences:
if I remember correctly, in the old version you drew some 3rd age events at the beginning of the game (those named "impact of...") which were put into play and used as objectives giving culture points at the end of the game. I can't find this in the new rules. Can someone please help me undertand?
- Shuffle the Age III military deck and draw cards until you've revealed four (4) Age III events, i.e., Impacts. Set these aside, close to the player boards.
- Remove from the game the Age III civil deck and the rest of the Age III military deck. They won't be used.
- Remove the four (4) black "War" cards from the Age II military deck.
- At the end of Ages I & II, do not remove two yellow tokens from the players' banks. Obsoleting cards takes place as normal. -- For me, this is the biggest difference apart from reduced play time.
- When the last Age II card has been dealt, finish the round down to the last player and end the game there. There's no extra round.
- At the end of the game, score bonus Culture points based on the four Age III events that had been revealed at the beginning of the game.