12 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Wanted! Euro game designer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Miers
msg tools
Calling all game designers!

I'm interested in commissioning someone to help me design a game about the European Union. It would be a tongue-in-cheek take on the shenanigans around the EU, including dodgy deals, a dash of corruption, negotiations, slush funds, bought votes etc.

Sort of a cross between 'Junta', 'Die Macher', 'Congress of Vienna' etc.

I'd want to work with someone who could help all the way through the design and production phases, maybe entering it for competitions and possibly turning it eventually into a simple computer game.

If you're interested, give me a shout with your credentials and I'll supply more detail.

Deadline is 6 expressions of interest or 30 November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Flatlined Games fanMicrobadge: Ludovic Maublanc fanMicrobadge: Twin Tin Bots fanMicrobadge: Rumble in the House fanMicrobadge: Antoine Bauza fan
This exists already I'm afraid
European Union: The Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: LudologistMicrobadge: Battle Merchants fan - AxeMicrobadge: The Networks fanMicrobadge: NYC Board Game Designer's Group memberMicrobadge: Spielbany
I was expecting "Euro game designer" to mean someone who designs Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IngredientX wrote:
I thought that's what it meant, with the EU part as bonus.

So it's an Euro game about the EU... Made in EU... And probably EU friendly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: GCL Beehive--BuzzworthyMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Playtest UK - a friendly group of games designers/playtesters who meet up to play each other's prototypesMicrobadge: nanDECK userMicrobadge: 24 Hour Contest participant
How much are you planning on paying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IngredientX wrote:
I thought so too, but I guess European Union: The Miniatures Game is also an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Vernier calliper fanMicrobadge: Philip K. Dick fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Print and Play Games News fan
Are you looking for a game or a hatchet job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: GCL Beehive--BuzzworthyMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Playtest UK - a friendly group of games designers/playtesters who meet up to play each other's prototypesMicrobadge: nanDECK userMicrobadge: 24 Hour Contest participant
Tom Miers wrote:
Calling all game designers!

I'm interested in commissioning someone to help me design a game about the European Union. It would be a tongue-in-cheek take on the shenanigans around the EU, including dodgy deals, a dash of corruption, negotiations, slush funds, bought votes etc.

Sort of a cross between 'Junta', 'Die Macher', 'Congress of Vienna' etc.

I'd want to work with someone who could help all the way through the design and production phases, maybe entering it for competitions and possibly turning it eventually into a simple computer game.

If you're interested, give me a shout with your credentials and I'll supply more detail.

Deadline is 6 expressions of interest or 30 November.
I'll try to be a little less flippant now.

Tom, you need to understand that there are a load of people here who have more ideas for games than they have time to develop them. Most are willing to take a look at someone else's work and offer help and advice, but we often see someone coming in with an announcement that they have a great idea for a game and they want someone to help them complete it. Usually these are greeted with flippant and unhelpful responses, largely because this sort of request generally comes across like "please do my homework for me".

The best way to get a useful response is to show that you have done a load of work on your game already and ask specific questions about areas giving you problems. Either that or you need to find a way to get people really interested in your project (like promising to pay someone a decent wage up front for their work).

If you are stuck on how to get started, there are a lot of good resources out there. A good place to start is read the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rules Addict - I read rules before I go to bedMicrobadge: Roger Zelazny fanMicrobadge: Born in 1963Microbadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Mike Brown made free icons for my game!
polyobsessive wrote:
... you need to find a way to get people really interested in your project (like promising to pay someone a decent wage up front for their work).
To be fair, he did say "I'm interested in commissioning someone" and a commission usually comes with a payment involved (at least, it does in my line of work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Miers
msg tools
No worries about the flippant responses, my post was not that clear, so well deserved.

I don't want my homework done for me, nor have I made any progress on this (though I have a couple of ideas).

I just want to commission someone who's a good designer to do it. So yes I'll pay, but not sure how much at the mo because I don't know the market. So I'm hoping to get draft bids - a paragraph or two on experience, rough ideas, time and cost, then take it from there.

A hatchet job? Not sure what that means, but yes, it'd be a jokey take on dodgy deals in the European Union, by no means an Ode to Brussels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Armstrong
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Copper Board Game Collector
No offense Tom, but I think you should spend a couple months researching the game market yourself. I do not think that there is a market at all for the game you described... Its been done other ways and if the game is not mind blowing, fun, relatively short, infinitely playable, with at least 1 very unique thing happening, then another dry political euro game would drop like hot lead in today's market. A good design with this theme might have gone over 10 years ago, but these days it would be like printing shelf garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Vernier calliper fanMicrobadge: Philip K. Dick fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Print and Play Games News fan
Tom Miers wrote:

A hatchet job? Not sure what that means, but yes, it'd be a jokey take on dodgy deals in the European Union, by no means an Ode to Brussels.
A 'hatchet job' is a thing - usually but not always a news article - which is deliberately crafted to portray the target in a bad light, sometimes regardless of merit.

As Casey says above, it's not the most obvious theme for a board game, and generally one gets the impression that good games start out with mechanics and look for a theme, rather than the other way around... not to mention start out with a design and look for a publisher, rather than the other way around!

So the easy conclusion is that you want such a game to exist for your own reasons, rather than because you're already immersed in the world of board game design and/or publishing and think it'd be a good seller. Why the EU in particular and not any other political body, for example? So my concern is what those reasons are. Maybe you work within the EU in some capacity and would find it fun to play a game with your mates about how ridiculous some of it is? (Is this you, for example?)

I can't help but be aware that we in the UK are facing a referendum on EU membership in the next year or so, the 'get out' campaigns have just started up their activities, and every single descriptor you used about the EU in your opening post was negative. It's well-known that young people are more likely to be pro-EU than older people, so it's not outside of the realms of possibility that your goal of producing a fun-but-uncomplimentary board game - especially with the goal of eventually producing a simple computer game - could be an attempt at anti-EU propaganda aimed at the younger generations.

Now, that's quite possibly reading far too much into it, and I don't want to jump to conclusions about anyone's politics! But this was the motivation for the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls