Thumb up
 Hide
81 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Pax Porfiriana» Forums » General

Subject: Collector's Edition mounted board - what a huge letdown! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Today I received my copy of the Collector's Edition in the mail. I was so happy! Finally!

Eagerly I folded out the map and could not believe my eyes:

A pixelated image as background?!?! How could this happen?

I am extremely disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: I love BerlinMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: I love Europe!Microbadge: I sleep in whichever corner of the bed my partner leaves for me
Me too. I'd only seen the fan made screen-printed board in the past and honestly, it looks a lot better than the Sierra Madre one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!Microbadge: Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire fanMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Soccer fan
How does the Pax Pamir side look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good. No pixelation. They used an image with high enough resolution there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Michigan State UniversityMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Playtester / Prototype fanMicrobadge: GMT fan
Can you post a picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hirsch
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Mythic Battles: Pantheon fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Vampire: The Eternal Struggle fan
Board Game: Pax Porfiriana

Yeah, it looks fine in smaller view, but if you look at "original" size, the pixelation is clear.

I'm still looking forward to my copy, though, so I can actually play the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Michigan State UniversityMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Playtester / Prototype fanMicrobadge: GMT fan
I don't think the pixelation is that bad at original size, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I am a GSGer!Microbadge: I attended Lobster Trap!Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: I support Portugal!
MikeO wrote:
Agreed. I was expecting a mess. Not too bad at all and with my bad eyes, things seem pixelated on a regular basis anyway. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MikeO wrote:
I do not have a board game where they used an image with too low a resolution, so that when blown up you see pixels.

It looks at least amateurish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was really disappointed by this as well. For me the pixelation is offensive enough to the eye that I probably won't use the board.

The Pax Pamir side is nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I won't lie. The map looks pretty disgusting. The functional portions of the board seem fine though so it's not that bad. Although I think a playmat may have been better suited for this game since it's mostly played with cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Williams
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Astronomy enthusiastMicrobadge: Tannhäuser fanMicrobadge: I love BerlinMicrobadge: Audiobooks fanMicrobadge: Arizona
Same with me, as soon as I opened the box I couldn't believe a company could make such a poor quality board. It looks like something from 20 years ago I can't imagine ever using it it's just embarrassing, I'll continue to use a mat I made from the files here. The quality is far better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
And, at least for me, the board was the main reason to buy the Collector's Edition since nothing else (apart from the manual) is an improvement over the standard edition I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Medieval History fanMicrobadge: English TeacherMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: The Republic of Rome fan
Yeah, I'm a bit shocked at the quality of the board and components. I missed out on PaxP when it came out, so I'm glad to have a copy--but Eklund's got a very different definition of "deluxe" than I do: cheap plastic bits and a rubbish board. (Especially considering the Pax Pamir side is perfectly fine.) That, along with the Greenland 2nd ed being released less than a year after the original in such a different format, really puts me off buying more of his stuff, which is disappointing because these are great games.

-M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my gamesMicrobadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Too much rock...Microbadge: ... for just one hand!
I purchased the Collector’s Edition at Essen 2015 and have played it multiple times so far. This has been my first experience with the game so I have no direct comparison with previous versions. I thought I could provide a bit of context to the discussion with some facts, numbers, and opinions.

Facts:
The regular version of the game retails for 27 euros and the collector’s edition retails for 50 euros (prices according to Sierra Madre website as of today). So what does your extra 23 euros get you:
A foldable mounted map board that can be used for Pax Porfiriana on one side, and Pax Pamir (the new game in this series) on the other side.
A large rulebook containing a more up to date version of the rules (basically the living rules as of the print date) and a few pages of analysis by experienced players providing tips.
Additional cubes to make the game playable with 6 players.
A larger box with new box art.

As people in this thread have commented on, the image in the background of the mounted map board appears a bit blurry/pixelated. Not in a ridiculous fashion, but it is obvious that the image used wasn’t high enough resolution for the print size.

You can purchase the mounted map board separately for 11 euros. This means that the other three changes (larger box, new rulebook, 6th player pieces) are valued at around 12 euros.

My opinion:
While I agree the map board isn’t beautiful to look at, it is fully functional and I have enjoyed playing with it very much. Basically it just provides spots for all of the cards and the major advantage is the labeling of gold costs above each row. Of course this is a very minor thing and could also be solved with any sort of player-made playmats. People in this thread make it sound like the graphics make the game unplayable, but the truth is that the game board is covered with cards for the entire game and its only real purpose is to organize the cards on the table. I like having the larger rulebook because it has made rulebook references easier (comparing with Pax Pamir). I doubt I will play with 6 players and I have no “need” for a larger box besides the fact that it fits the board.

So is the Collector’s Edition “worth it”? Only you can really decide that for yourself. I have really enjoyed having the board and would never like to play without it. With that said I probably would have been just as happy with a foldable paper playmat to organize things. What I will say is that I agree that the term “Collector’s Edition” isn’t really fitting in this case. It is really just a new printing of the same game, an updated rulebook, a player board, and components for a 6th player. At the very least, a “Collector’s Edition” of this game should replace the plastic money chips with nice metal coins that look like they are from the period.

If I already owned the game I would personally buy the mounted map board for 11 euros to play on and be happy. Of course it would be nice if the graphics were better, but for me the purpose of the board is just to organize and label everything and it succeeds at that. The only downside if you purchase the board on its own is that you would have to store this board separate from the game box.

If I didn’t own the game I would be a bit torn between buying the base game + mounted board for 38 euros vs. buying the Collector’s Edition for 50 euros. In the end, I personally decided to get the Collector’s Edition because it was 46 euros at Essen (I think), I wanted to have a nice printed rulebook to reference instead of a GooleDocs living rules document, and I was buying Pax Pamir anyway and could get double use from the board in the box. The larger rulebook is very nice to reference and the back side provides a well-spaced out and detailed player reference that we have found really useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All the facts and numbers are fine, thank you.

Of course, the board is functional. But that is the very least it should be.

But I just don't see a reason why I should look for excuses for Sierra Madre Games. They have the experience in the industry. Even I can choose a photo that does not pixelate when blown up. Every run of the mill photo printing service warns you, if the resolutiuon is too low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my gamesMicrobadge: Gamer DadMicrobadge: ScientistMicrobadge: Too much rock...Microbadge: ... for just one hand!
claumoe wrote:
All the facts and numbers are fine, thank you.

Of course, the board is functional. But that is the very least it should be.

But I just don't see a reason why I should look for excuses for Sierra Madre Games. They have the experience in the industry. Even I can choose a photo that does not pixelate when blown up. Every run of the mill photo printing service warns you, if the resolution is too low.

No arguments here what so ever. I'm glad you posted the thread. I think it is the obligation of the consumers to make publishers aware when things aren't up to the appropriate standards. It is the right way to elicit change.

Regardless of the publisher and in no way singling out Sierra Madre, I have observed a huge increase in the number of publishing errors coming out in board games these days. Score tracks numbered incorrectly, typos in the rules, omitted rules from the rulebook, poor translations, cards & rulebooks contradicting each other, board misprints, color mismatches, missing components, miscut punch boards, etc. I think companies feel tremendous pressure to meet certain industry deadlines and are forced to go with flawed products when the mistakes are discovered too late in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Medieval History fanMicrobadge: English TeacherMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: The Republic of Rome fan
bpierce72 wrote:
People in this thread make it sound like the graphics make the game unplayable, but the truth is that the game board is covered with cards for the entire game and its only real purpose is to organize the cards on the table.
Has anyone stated the shoddy board makes the game unplayable?

The point isn't even that the deluxe edition is--in my opinion--very poor value for money; it's just painfully unprofessional. Sierra Madre isn't some start-up or Kickstarter yahoo without previous printing experience. The company's been churning out games for awhile. How did that side of the board slip by quality control? It feels as though they received the board from the printer and, wanting to get the product out the door, made the decision to ship despite the quality. I mean, look at the guy running Star Patrol: Carrier Commander--a £3 Kickstarter project in which he's going through great pains to ensure the product he's shipping is the best it can be. For £3. For £23 from an established publisher producing a product labelled as "deluxe" I feel it's not unreasonable to expect a non-pixelated board (like on the Pax P side) and maybe even some decent little chits. Yeah, it's just chrome, but chrome can matter--it's the entire basis of FFG's existence.

"Buyer beware" probably fits in perfectly with the libertarian mindset, but frankly, puts me off wanting to support further projects. Which is a shame because, as I said before, so many of these games are fantastic. (Despite the ongoing updates, patches, living rules, fiddling, etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
Microbadge: Ogre fanMicrobadge: BuddhistMicrobadge: AD&D fan (1st edition)Microbadge: Dallas Cowboys fanMicrobadge: I am a computer hacker
claumoe wrote:
MikeO wrote:
I do not have a board game where they used an image with too low a resolution, so that when blown up you see pixels.

It looks at least amateurish.
I recall some of the cards from Kemet having this problem as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Weloi Avala wrote:
bpierce72 wrote:
People in this thread make it sound like the graphics make the game unplayable, but the truth is that the game board is covered with cards for the entire game and its only real purpose is to organize the cards on the table.
Has anyone stated the shoddy board makes the game unplayable?
No, I suppose that was a poor choice of words. By "make it sound like" I didn't mean "have said". I was just writing my post thinking of someone that has no experience with the collector's edition and starting reading this thread. The posts are quite negative and if I hadn't actually seen the board myself I would have thought that the background was a big blurry mess. In that sense I meant that the posts "make it sound like" the board is so bad that it shouldn't be used. I should have said "As people in this thread have pointed out, the board image is unprofessionally produced."

I have no problems with your comments. As I stated, I haven't had much of a problem with the poor image quality because the board spends the entire game covered by cards, but I agree that it is an unprofessional mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Byrd
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I completed the 2014 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: Flash Point: Fire Rescue fanMicrobadge: 3DS Max userMicrobadge: Flour power - I turn wheat into foodMicrobadge: I train my kid to become an eurogamer
bpierce72 wrote:
I bought the board as a separate purchase. I did so instead of PnPing the (really nice and objectively more functional) player mat here on BGG. It's not a matter of whether it makes the game playable or not. It's bling.

Really terrible bling.

The Pax Porfiriana side of the board isn't "a bit blurry." It's a low-res web image blown up to 17ish inches across. It's strictly amateur hour. And while I've always been of the opinion that Mr. Eklund's aesthetic choices could benefit from the aid of an actual graphic designer, the actual production of everything I've seen from SMG has been just fine.

The Pax Porfiriana board is not just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: WriterMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Weird. I ordered all four games, but only received Pax Pamir today. And now y'all have me curious for the pixelated Pax Porfiriana gameboard. Le sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
Microbadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Glory to Rome Black Box fanMicrobadge: Food Chain Magnate fan
jackbird wrote:

The Pax Porfiriana side of the board isn't "a bit blurry." It's a low-res web image blown up to 17ish inches across. It's strictly amateur hour. And while I've always been of the opinion that Mr. Eklund's aesthetic choices could benefit from the aid of an actual graphic designer, the actual production of everything I've seen from SMG has been just fine.

The Pax Porfiriana board is not just fine.
Absolutely with you on the pixelation, however I'd say the entire board is really crap graphic design. Is that really Times New Roman in yellow with a ... Red... Glow...?? What the hell, that's highschool Powerpoint nonsense! It's a deeply amateurish product like Phil's otherwise great games tend to look. Greenland got a second edition to stop looking so horrible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge:  Do doo, do-do-doMicrobadge: Mahna mahnaMicrobadge: Do do-do dooMicrobadge: 2018 Miniature Painters Guild Challenge participant
ohbalto wrote:
Weird. I ordered all four games, but only received Pax Pamir today. And now y'all have me curious for the pixelated Pax Porfiriana gameboard. Le sigh.
Pamir ships separately. I received the three other games a couple of days ago and Pamir yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
I received my gameboard in the mail yesterday, and it quite honestly looks fine to me. I probably wouldn't even have noticed the pixelation if it hadn't been mentioned here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |