BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Table for boardgaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

Im about to funish a "socialroom" and are right now investigating table and chairs. I know that this is not the important part of the boardgame hobby but if there is something to think about, I want to know it.

Today I have a solid woodentable with a coated surface in kitchen, the table is 175x95cm and this have been proven to work vary well with all boardgames we played. I do have a extra board that makes the table 50cm longer but it have never been used for boardgames(not even Twilight imperium). We are for the most part 4 players but sometimes there will be 5-6 players.

Anyway, I got hold of a second-hand(but perfect condition) white modern table(IKEA Grimle)

After assembly I notice that its not as sturdy as the solid woodentable, and now I wonder how big of a deal this might be? There is nothing wrong with the table and the assembling are solid. The plus is that its 180x100 cm even if there is no extra board to put in.

What do you think of a table like this? Do you have experience with this kind of tables?

Then we got the chairs, for me its important that they are comfortable even after hours of gaming, so pleather is a big NO. The first choise is(with a sitting pillow)

IKEA Tobias

Plus : YOU CAN SWING! comfy at first.
Negative : To cold feel to it? The seat is "curved", might not be good in the long run? The swing might be to much so the posture will be more forward leaning when focusing on parts of the board?

IKEA Bernhard

Plus : Real leather that breathe, diffrent colors.
Negative : More straight up siting posture? Not as confy at first.

Any pointers? Maybe some experience with this kind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I will tell you something about the chairs from my experience. We have a mish mash as we don't have a large enough matching set to match the number of players. Some of our chairs make you have to lean forward excessively to move at a board etc. We tend to rotate those because having to lean forward over the table gets extremely uncomfortable after a while. I mention this because you said something about having to lean forward in the first chair I think it was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Pixelman wrote:
Yes, lean forward while the chair is leaning back is not a good combo. Do you got the same design on your problem chair? Or is it infact a IKEA Tobias you got?

When we tested the IKEA Tobias it felt good but the lean might be to much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that table works great, when I set up my game room I looked into different tables and here is what I discovered, hope this helps:

GeekChic Gaming Tables:
Pros: These tables are built for gaming, so they do their job very efficiently, The have a raised wood edge, which makes it so nothing slides of the table and a nice felt top. Additionally most have compartments to hold components and drinks. The size is very nice on these tables and allows games with large footprints to be played with ease.
Cons: The wooden raised top makes it uncomfortable for you to rest your arms on it. Also prepare to declare bankruptcy.

Texas Holdem Poker Table:
Pros: These tables have a felt center and usually include cup holders. Additionally the have a cushion edge, so they stop things from rolling off the table, and allows you to rest your arms comfortably. The size on these tables are nice too.
Cons: The table is an oval, so for groups of 5-8 it makes it hard to reach the middle for players sitting in the circular section of the table. These tables can get really pricey, there some cheaper ones on the market that can fold.

Octagonal Poker Table:(This is the one I ended up with)
Pros: This table sits 4 players nicely, but more than that it starts getting crowded. It has room for chips, which works great to put tokens and coins in. It also has a nice felt center, and the table in very aesthetic.
Cons: The table is small, so mid-large games are always hard to fit in it. Also they usually have a wooden edges, so is a little uncomfortable to rest your arms on it (not as bad as the GeekChic table though). Because of its size is also easy to knock someone else drink, which is why I make every one use zippy cups haha. These tables are pricey, but there are some that can fold that are cheaper.

Wooden Rectangular Dinning Table:
Pros: Similar to what you have, these are somewhat cheap and get the job done. They allow for large groups, and games that have a large foot print to be played with ease.
Cons: These are not design for gaming, so they won't have the nice felt top, and nothing to stop things from rolling off the table. It also will not look as nice as the other ones.

Plastic Folding Dinning Table:
Pros: These are dirt cheap, and have all the benefits of the Wooden rectangular table.
Cons: The plastic top makes it easier for stuff to slide around. Also it looks ugly, YUCK!

As far as chairs go, its nice having a matching set, but more importantly, you want something comfortable that don't require people to lean forward.
If you want to upgrade to some of the high end ones, I would recommend searching craiglist, a lot of people buy poker tables and don't use them, so they sell them pretty cheap online, that's how I got mine. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
More reasonable priced Geek Chic Lite style tables here:
https://www.boardgametables.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go with one of the "dinning" table options, I would recommend a neoprene mat (think "mouse pad") to lay on top. This provides a nice cushy surface making it easy to pick up cards without having to slide them off the edge of the table, dice roll quietly, and stuff does not want to slide around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks, never thought about a "real" gamingboard. I know that they existed but never tried one or seen a real need for it.

There is a couple of problems with gamingboards according to me :

- Bulky in most cases
- Drawers and stuff that make smaller room for legs
- Take more time to clean
- Problems to reach center
- In some cases problems to adjust space for my markers to the size of the main board(s)

The main concern I got for the table I bought is that it may not be stable enough. If anyone have experince with this kind of tables I would be greatfull.

We usually play boardgames for about 12 hours straight with some minor brakes so its important that the chairs is confitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Anyone else having some experions with this model of tables? Or the swing chairs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both of those models are okay and pretty comfortable. Ikea makes pretty good chairs.

I personally don't like them as much as others as I find the backs to slopey if you know what I mean... I like more straight backed chairs....

However, I know people who have these and like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Tobias chairs, as they are the most comfortable chair Ikea sells, and will likely outlive the other ones, mine are grey and go well with the morbylanga table (220*95 I think)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
Microbadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: 2020 Miniature Painters Guild Challenge participantMicrobadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each participant
If you're at an IKEA store, check out the IKEA Stornäs table.

The largest one is pretty big, 201cm x 105cm (appr. 6'7" x 3'6") and the width is pretty nice to have. Lords of Waterdeep and Eldritch Horror fits easily.

Drawback might be that it's too big and compared to the table in you initial post it can look a bit unwieldy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Orioles fanMicrobadge: Strategicon attendee
darthain wrote:
I have the Tobias chairs, as they are the most comfortable chair Ikea sells, and will likely outlive the other ones, mine are grey and go well with the morbylanga table (220*95 I think)
I looked at that table (220 cm x 100 cm) on the IKEA site... I'm tempted to get one. It's a bit pricey (nowhere near the price of a Geek Chic table though) - not to mention the added cost of delivery and assembly (yeah, I'd have to get help - the instructions strongly recommend a two-person team do it; no mention of weight though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: 2020 Miniature Painters Guild Challenge participantMicrobadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each participant
Yes, we bought it as we moved to our house, the main reason for it's size being that we have relatives for dinner a few times a year (9-10 people).

It's also been really useful since it allows us to have a large jigsaw puzzle at one end and still be able to use it for meals etc on the other end.

So basically it's the main table of our house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ambersilk wrote:
Both of those models are okay and pretty comfortable. Ikea makes pretty good chairs.

I personally don't like them as much as others as I find the backs to slopey if you know what I mean... I like more straight backed chairs....

However, I know people who have these and like them.
So you got friends that have both IKEA Bernhard and Tobias? How is theay holding up? I know what you mean the Tobias chais is more of a relax chair but I thought that the IKEA Bernhard games a good support? Not the best, the TUNHOLMEN games a better lordosis support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
darthain wrote:
Aha, nice, the grey version are not for sale here in Sweden, only transperent and pink. How is it holding up? Any scratches or glitches? Do you got any sitpad?

I was thinking about the MÖRBYLÅNGA table (220x100)

http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/20293766/ but there is a gap in the middle of the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
psson73 wrote:
If you're at an IKEA store, check out the IKEA Stornäs table.

The largest one is pretty big, 201cm x 105cm (appr. 6'7" x 3'6") and the width is pretty nice to have. Lords of Waterdeep and Eldritch Horror fits easily.

Drawback might be that it's too big and compared to the table in you initial post it can look a bit unwieldy.
Yes, thats a great table for gaming, I find it to boxy(unwieldy is a good word), no real design to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
JimmyNi wrote:
Yes, lean forward while the chair is leaning back is not a good combo. Do you got the same design on your problem chair? Or is it infact a IKEA Tobias you got?

When we tested the IKEA Tobias it felt good but the lean might be to much?
I can't remember where our problem chair is from, but it is not IKEA. I will try to get a picture of the offending chairs if I get a chance. I would personally just assume you were correct if you feel they may lean too much and get the (or continue looking for a chair with) less lean back to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have now tested the chairs on IKEA and the IKEA Tobias is a no go. Its nice to relax in but not good to focus on the table with. Its hard to keep a good posture in this chair.

The IKEA LEIFARNE gave the best posture but it´s curved and this means that its not easy to change positions which is needed when playing for 12 hours. The armrests feels great and its possible to hang the chair on the table. The problem however are that the armrests could get in the way for "bigger" players.

It ended with the IKEA BERNHARD(brown), its not perfect, its a bit hard, but gives a good posture and its easy to change position.

I have only tested theses chairs for maybe 5 min at a time but hops that it will worke even in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
My friend has a piece of plywood wrapped with speed cloth that he uses on top of his gaming table. You can put some felt under it to give it a softer feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWWuI_v7ZYc

It is really nice. Some build up / rails on the bottom to keep it from sliding

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Out of curiosity, how do you prevent green house effect in the 'social room' pic you have in the OP? What kind of ventilation/circulation do you have in there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my carrom table with a tabletop to play with my kids, and have a coffee table that converts into a gaming table in the music room. This gives us three different gaming possibilities......
When the cash flow allows, we wil be buying an extra table plus small sofa and chairs to put at the other side of the living area. The things is, I would rather wait than buy something like a table from IKEA! It's such an important part of the house.....

Second hand seems a very good option .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
There is something called conference table, these tables are usually bigger . What do you think of tables that are 140 cm wide? To much? "Regular" table are 90-100 cm wide.

http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/S89006268/#/S8900...

What do you think about square tables? to hard to reach middle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
gobaith wrote:
The things is, I would rather wait than buy something like a table from IKEA! It's such an important part of the house.....

Second hand seems a very good option .....
IKEA got a wide range of qulity, its more known for each cheap part but the more expensive do have a good qulity to it. Some of them have as much as 10 years of warranty. If you got a specific amount of money for a furniture and IKEA does sell in this amount, then it will be vary hard to find better qulity for the money I think. But yes, if you go up to say 3000 EUR for a table then you could get better qulity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
JimmyNi wrote:
There is something called conference table, these tables are usually bigger . What do you think of tables that are 140 cm wide? To much? "Regular" table are 90-100 cm wide.

http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/S89006268/#/S8900...

What do you think about square tables? to hard to reach middle?
Might be a little wide, but not too wide to reach.

In the picture of Lords of Waterdeep in my earlier post, I can reach the points track on the far side of the gameboard sitting down (I'm 180 cm / 5'11"). Since that is almost 90 cm (3' away), I figure that the entire gameboard would be in reach of the players as a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gatsos
Greece
Patra
flag msg tools
https://www.rathskellers.com
You can check here also.

Thumb up
 tip