Popular Tags: [View All]
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread to discuss the Android game Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was like, "Why would I want Hope over Tyro, when Tyro can both slash with a sword and cast a spell?"

Then I cast Thundaga with Hope....

But I can only do it twice! So, he's like, useful for bosses, but he dies a lot faster than Tyro and is largely useless outside of 4 spell casts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Why's the sky blue? Why's water wet?
badge
Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
So, I was like, "Why would I want Hope over Tyro, when Tyro can both slash with a sword and cast a spell?"

But I can only do it twice! So, he's like, useful for bosses, but he dies a lot faster than Tyro and is largely useless outside of 4 spell casts.

i have hope in the front row and he's using a psicom dagger, so he hits decently hard.

how did you get thundaga!? i want that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

Yeah, I think rgatti was correct in his statement that early on, black mages are...squishy and lousy. Good at hitting elemental weaknesses, otherwise, eh. You need to really hone your abilities to use them properly, and hones are 1. Expensive in gil and 2. Expensive in ORBS, my goodness, so many orbs. Most of my 4* abilities are at R1 because I just don't have the orbs (well, I have more now after the orb festival, but still). And I have zero 5* abilities, although I am looking with dove eyes at Full Break...

In the long run, 3* abilities will become your bread and butter, because the highest level daily dungeons drop mostly 3* (although the new difficulty has a higher chance of 4*! But still, mostly 3*). That gets you Curaga (my go-to healing), all the Breaks (armor/power/magic the most important) and all the *ga level black magic (plus Comet).

But at the start, go for 2* I think, via the medium/hard daily dungeons. A well-honed 2* ability is better (in a story/event dungeon) than a R1 3* or 4* on a mage. On a melee/support, you can often get away with a R1 ability because you can always Attack (for example, my Sazh usually has two of Magic Breakdown, Power Breakdown, and Armor Breakdown, all at R2 - but he can also just attack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the thing about the battles, gel, is that they're quick. they don't feel much like a grind.

i used to love stripping all the materia off my guys in FF7 and re-working it, and this game has alot of that feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing I like is, it's not one of those free games where you are playing against other people, and the ones that spend money, they will stomp you.

You're only playing against the game itself. I see posts from people with dozens of 7* items that clearly have spent thousands of dollars on the game. And I go *shrug*. As long as they can afford it, more power to them.

It's got characters I am familiar with, games I like, only takes a few minutes a day (especially with this new daily dungeon that takes 60 stamina - that's 3 hours worth gone in minutes), that wonderful music that gives me happy feelings, and it even gives the story of the games in the story dungeons so I learn about games I did not play (and it makes me want to play them). Going through the Hope event makes me recall FFXIII and the good parts of it, but I don't have to slog through the bad parts. And if I feel like it's too much of a grind or something, I just don't play and it doesn't matter if others are playing because they can't beat me.

There are people who replay the same boss over and over because it has a 15% chance of dropping an orb they want. There's people with multiple rank 5 *ja spells while I don't even have all my *ga spells at rank 5. So what? Doesn't affect me. There are people that have every character - even the core characters that are practically useless except for their record materia - at max level. Good on them.

I like re-experiencing the various FF games in little tidbits, and optimizing my parties to meet various challenges it throws at me, and chatting about strategy and such (Barthandelus is up next whenever I have the stamina in a few hours).

At some point I'm sure I'll get tired of it, and I'll stop, but it'll have been fun and happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just makes me want to play a real, actually good FF game again.

I'm just waiting for the FFVII remake and FFIX remaster at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to make abilities, you only use orbs of the same star level, right?

So I can make 2 star abilities without worrying about impacting my ability to make 3 star abilities later, right?

And what's the deal with the Augment? I don't get that at all.

Finally, I'm always gold-short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the final answer was, spend mithril to get more equipment slots, and save up for when they do a good event to draw something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
So, to make abilities, you only use orbs of the same star level, right?

So I can make 2 star abilities without worrying about impacting my ability to make 3 star abilities later, right?

And what's the deal with the Augment? I don't get that at all.

Finally, I'm always gold-short.

i'm pretty stingy with upgrading my weapons and armor, so i haven't been gold-short yet, but it seems like that's the whole point of gil, so i think you're doing the right thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

Yes, 2* orbs are only used for creating/honing 2* abilities. 3* orbs are only used for creating/honing 3* abilities. And so on. So go ahead and use those 2* orbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, for now, 2* orbs are only useful for 2* abilities, 3* for 3* abilities, etc. (this is actually annoying at times, as I'd like to hone Double Cut more than I have, but I don't have many 2* orbs, while I'm overflowing with 3*).

Note, however, that eventually we will get Orb Transmutation, which will allow (along with the expenditure of Gil) a 10-to-1 transmutation of orbs to the next higher or lower type. So 10 2* orbs can be combined into one 3*, or one 3* to 10 2*. But that's months away.

As for augmentation, ignore it for now. What it does is let you improve an item's maximum stats beyond even the max values you get at full upgrade. But you do it by sacrificing natural 5* items (each 5* item has one point that it can give to another item if you destroy it). So if there's some day when you just have so many natural 5* items that you can stand to get rid of some, rather than selling them, you can boost the stats of another item by one point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
And the final answer was, spend mithril to get more equipment slots, and save up for when they do a good event to draw something?

Yes. I generally draw if I really like a character and would love to get their relic, or if a banner has a lot of items that might be useful so that I'm OK with getting one of a number of them.

If you really need a stamina refresh to finish an event before it ends, I've done that before (once), or healing in an event dungeon (story dungeons can always wait) if you absolutely know it'll make the difference between success and not (note that you should never do the "camp" thing to heal - go into the dungeon, and then fail it...it'll offer you the chance to spend a mythril to heal at THAT point, but if you do it then, the game also gives you a random buff, such as +10% attack, which you don't get if you do it via the "camp" option).

But generally, mythril is for draws or inventory. My item inventory is at 300 and still frequently fills (good to have a variety of items across realms for realm synergy). My ability inventory is currently the problem, it is at the default 100 and I need to up that soon, as I've been having to sell abilities to make room for new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarrant wrote:
As for augmentation, ignore it for now. What it does is let you improve an item's maximum stats beyond even the max values you get at full upgrade. But you do it by sacrificing natural 5* items (each 5* item has one point that it can give to another item if you destroy it). So if there's some day when you just have so many natural 5* items that you can stand to get rid of some, rather than selling them, you can boost the stats of another item by one point.

Do you get that extra aug through combining? I have those duplicate hairpins that will be combined at some point. Does that give me a double aug?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The daily event dungeons...do you get 1 mithril every day for each level you beat? They never repeat? Or if they repeat you can still get a new mithril?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
The daily event dungeons...do you get 1 mithril every day for each level you beat? They never repeat? Or if they repeat you can still get a new mithril?

i think when you get the mithril from it once, that's it.

i heard that mithril seems plentiful at first and then it dries up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Tarrant wrote:

Do you get that extra aug through combining? I have those duplicate hairpins that will be combined at some point. Does that give me a double aug?

Only select items give the extra aug when combined. Currently, those are items that start at 5* and an upgrade item that I've never possessed. So, currently, upgrading the Augment is VERY rare. I've done it 2 or 3 times when I've upgraded duplicate 5* items, but getting duplicate 5* items is also VERY rare (and sometimes, you're better off having two 5* items than one slightly upgraded 6* items).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so tarrant, you have an inventory of 300?

that means you've spent 40 mithril on that? i guess when you compare that to the 50 spent on 11x draws, it's not ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dake wrote:
jageroxorz wrote:

i think when you get the mithril from it once, that's it.

i heard that mithril seems plentiful at first and then it dries up.

Correct. So, initially, each day gives you 4-8 daily dungeons (probably 5-10 now?) which were each giving 1 mythril to beat. That's a lot of early mythril, but once you beat it, those dungeons just gave the completion reward (which isn't mythril) on subsequent runs. Similarly, many of the normal quest dungeons and event dungeons give mythril on the first completion, but not on subsequent completions.

So, at some point, most of your mythril starts to come from daily logon rewards and new Event dungeons that are introduced. (And completing the new/harder normal dungeons that are infrequently added.). It's still enough mythril to buy 11-pulls once or twice a month (maybe 1.5/month?), but only if you are hording it only for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dake wrote:
so tarrant, you have an inventory of 300?

that means you've spent 40 mithril on that? i guess when you compare that to the 50 spent on 11x draws, it's not ridiculous.

My inventory is up to 220. I've sold off all of my 1* and 2* equipment (except accessories, though I may start selling those as well now that I have a wider selection of higher tier accessories). I've generally kept all of my 3*+ equipment, but that means I've upgraded A LOT of 3* equipment. I'm not really sure upgrading 3* equipment has helped, but I dream of someday equiping my entire party in decent/level-specific equipment and being stronger... but it cost a lot of gil...

It also means that I can't hold onto upgrade materials for long (which is also why I upgraded a lot of 3* equipment, especially when they were the things I was using since I didn't have as much natural 4* and 5* things). Generally, an upgraded 3* item is always worse than natural 4* and 5* equipment (there might be exceptions, but even a 3*++ that is now 5* is generally weaker than a natural 4* of similar type.).

So, to horde upgrade materials longer so I can spend them if/when I acquire better items (like 5*) on a future 11-pull (which I'm saving mythril up for), I sometime upgrade my inventory by 5-20 slots (it depends on how much time I spend finding creative ways to free space once I start maxing out my inventory and needing space every 3 or so dungeons.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've also been just selling all my 1* and 2* equipment. it feels good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
Tarrant wrote:

Only select items give the extra aug when combined. Currently, those are items that start at 5* and an upgrade item that I've never possessed. So, currently, upgrading the Augment is VERY rare. I've done it 2 or 3 times when I've upgraded duplicate 5* items, but getting duplicate 5* items is also VERY rare (and sometimes, you're better off having two 5* items than one slightly upgraded 6* items).

Yeah, the hairpin is a 5* that I think only Red XIII can use. And I have two of them. No point in holding onto both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
rgatti wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
Tarrant wrote:

Yeah, the hairpin is a 5* that I think only Red XIII can use. And I have two of them. No point in holding onto both of them.

Yea, go ahead and combine those, and the augment point in one will be transferred to the other and increase its augment level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:

It also means that I can't hold onto upgrade materials for long (which is also why I upgraded a lot of 3* equipment, especially when they were the things I was using since I didn't have as much natural 4* and 5* things). Generally, an upgraded 3* item is always worse than natural 4* and 5* equipment (there might be exceptions, but even a 3*++ that is now 5* is generally weaker than a natural 4* of similar type.).

So, to horde upgrade materials longer so I can spend them if/when I acquire better items (like 5*) on a future 11-pull (which I'm saving mythril up for), I sometime upgrade my inventory by 5-20 slots (it depends on how much time I spend finding creative ways to free space once I start maxing out my inventory and needing space every 3 or so dungeons.).

I also can't hold upgrade material for very long; my inventory hovers around 280-290 most of the time.

Regarding 3*++ vs. 5* and realm synergy...

A natural 4* will always be better than a 4*+ and waaaay better than a 4*++. A natural 5* will always be better than a 5*++. To first order, you can judge an item by looking at its star rank and then subtracting one-half star per plus (so a 5*++ is about equivalent to a natural 4*).

Except when you take into account realm synergy.

A fully-upgraded item for its star rank, when in its realm, acts two stars higher than it otherwise would (note this applies only to fully upgraded items - otherwise it's just one star better). So a 20/20 5* item would have the stats of a fully-upgraded 7* item, while a 20/20 5*++ would have the stats of (approximately) a fully-upgraded 6* (5*, minus one half per plus, plus two stars for synergy).

That's why realm synergy is so important. Even though that 5*++ is worse than a natural 5* in every way, if you're in its realm it will completely outclass that natural 5* if the natural one doesn't have synergy. Since (as that rather mathy post of mine yesterday noted) the damage you do is based on your ATK, MAG, or MND raised to a given power, each extra point is really worthwhile (up to the soft cap of 590 ATK and...I think it's 7 hundred something MAG/MND). When you do events often times they'll give you 2* or 3* weapons/armor from that realm. Those 2* that you combine twice often are actually useful.

(Character synergy, BTW, is simply a flat +10 to their level).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impressed and scared by the min/max math you keep spewing tarrant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [264] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.