Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game I really wanted to buy.

I'm not into zombies and stuff like that, but this one really looked like it would be fun.

So I was one click away from ordering when it suddenly dawned on me.

There is a lot of text in this game and... every player has to read and understand for himself.
It's not like Arkham where you can read the cards for other players, no, there is secrecy involved.

So.. as my fellow players will struggle to read English let alone more complicated and longer text that means this - for us- will turn out an impossible game to play.

What a shame, I was getting reall excited about it.
For a moment I was hoping to find some way to get around the problem, but I don't think there is one.

Ah well, can't be helped..soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is now a Dead of Winter smartphone app, that could be useful. It will actually read the Crossroads cards aloud to you, if that's any easier to the other players than reading it themselves is.

There will be the issue of item cards and objective cards though, but there's only so many types, and familiarity will kick in eventually without the need to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the text-heavy cards are Crossroad cards. As long as they can figure out the trigger by themselves (which shouldn't be too hard), the group can then help the player in figuring out what to do.

Obviously, it depends on how good their English is, but I think if you understand "board game English", then you'll be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, but.. I watched Rodneys [watch it played] videos and from that I understood it was essential that people read the crossroadcards without others knowing..

or might this have been a houserule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
There is now a Dead of Winter smartphone app, that could be useful. It will actually read the Crossroads cards aloud to you, if that's any easier to the other players than reading it themselves is.

There will be the issue of item cards and objective cards though, but there's only so many types, and familiarity will kick in eventually without the need to read.
I played DoW last night with the app.

It only shows the trigger, a line or two of text. Then if the trigger it activated you press the button and it reads the rest of the Crossroads Card. But unlike the regular cards, they don't tell you the results until the affected player makes their choice, or after the group votes if that was the option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
if you have a laptop at the table, google translate and the crossroad app will be your friend...

Unfortunately there isn't a browser/pc option to use copy/paste. Maybe if you and android emulate it might be doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Really, but.. I watched Rodneys [watch it played] videos and from that I understood it was essential that people read the crossroadcards without others knowing..

or might this have been a houserule?
It's on page 12 of the rulebook: "If at any time on the player’s turn she meets the requirements of the trigger, all of the card’s text is read aloud by the player who drew it. Most crossroads cards provide 2 options to choose from, all of the text from these options is read out loud."

The part about the others not knowing only relates to the trigger.

I think only reading the text so you don't know what the options entail is a common house rule because it's more thematic and puts more emphasis on the roleplaying aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter vP
msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe they posted that Plaidhat games will be translated to Dutch eventually. Not sure anyone besides that is known. Personally also waiting for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll better put it on hold than.
Seems worth the wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
With PHG getting bought by F2Z, the expectation is increased availability of translations. I know they said French translations were on the way as well as another language. I imagine more will come as they make use of a more global company and concert to a design house rather than full scale publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter vP
msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is the news which mentioned it. It already exists in other languages as well so I'm really hopefull they pull of a good translation:

"Starting next year, every Plaid Hat title will be simultaneously released by Filosofia. That is wonderful news for our French-speaking fans!" --Lyne Bouthillette, marketing and communication manager at F2Z Entertainment.

More simultaneous releases in German and Dutch are also planned. Stay tuned to PlaidHatGames.com for the latest on all things Plaid Hat."

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/553
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HOLD ON.

symultanious release?

Dead of winter allready has a German release and I can't imagine I've missed it, so does this mean that message on their site is not about DOW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Dead of winter allready has a German release
Dead of Winter has a German release because Heidelberger Spieleverlag picked it up. They also work together with Filosofia Éditions for French releases. They did mention Dutch releases as well in the link Peter provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I know, but as the word simultanious popped up and the Germans allready have their game....

I can not imagine that they'd make all that fuss about a Dutch version.
German, French, sure huge markets, but Dutch.....
I think they'd sooner expect us to simply know one of the other languages.

In fact it would be great if they could confirm a Dutch version being underway, it would be very annoying to have bought a forreign language version and translate it, to than find a Dutch version available...soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bit about "more simultaneous releases in German and Dutch" is probably not about Dead of Winter, but games coming out in the future.

Why don't you ask them directly if a Dutch version is underway?

Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did, no reply sofar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official reply from Plaid Hat Games:

There is no concrete information on if or when it would release in Dutch at this time.

So I guess that settles it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
sagitar wrote:

There is no concrete information on if or when it would release in Dutch at this time.

Seems to me the message is that it's not settled. Maybe it's the language...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
sagitar wrote:

Seems to me the message is that it's not settled. Maybe it's the language...
I guess it is, so it wasn't just me that sort of suspects they used a lot of words to say nothing.
Most likely over at the office, they're now checking google earth to find the country {oh looky there just under that pin} check for possible sales and go NAH!shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it could be a fun new project for you to do the translation yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Maybe it could be a fun new project for you to do the translation yourself!
It would be quite a project. There are 120 item cards some objective cards and betrayer cards. But translation of the 80 very wordy Crossroad cards is pretty daunting.

Translating is a lot of work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly my idea, far to much work.

I have considered it mind you but I think it would soon seize to be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
naufal tisyadi
msg tools
Have the same problem here. The app doesn't help much because people who doesn't use english much still going to have a hard time. The only solution is to find the right crowd. Like boardgaming community or maybe play the game on Vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls