Subject: Area containing a city, and population limit. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reading the First Play manual, and in several instances it mentions that after a city is built in a region, that region's population limit becomes 0.

That is not mentioned in the main manual though.

Is that so? Does it mean that no one can have tokens in city areas after you check population surplus? (of course, advancements like Agriculture will influence that).

I just find it odd the main manual does not mention that. I would have not catch that rule if not for reading the tutorial manual with more attention, this second time, after reading the main one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
'The First Game' is written purely for people that don't want to read the manual, have never played the game before and want to understand the sequence of play. If differs from the full game.

We left that mention of 'population limit 0' out intentionally in the full manual, because it is not an official rule. Even Agriculture does not influence this, for instance.

We have put that mention in 'the first game' only so that people understand what happens.

After all demonstrations I have done, I can tell you 50% of the people ask me right after building a city either or both of these questions:

- do I get population in a city area during population expansion?
- can I keep population in the city area after I have built a city?

I took this into account when writing 'The First Game'.

To explain this, without having to dive deep into each specific detail, we decided to put it this way in 'The First Game'.

Now for the official rule:
- An area that contains a city cannot also contain tokens during check for surplus population. 'Agriculture' has no effect on this rule.
- Only 'Public Works' allows you to keep exactly 1 token in the area during check for surplus population
- If you hold 'Public Works' and 'Agriculture' this limit does not increas and is still exactly 1 token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh thanks for the clarification Flo de Haan.
Indeed the manual even has that information you said about the public works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flodehaan wrote:
'The First Game' is written purely for people that don't want to read the manual, have never played the game before and want to understand the sequence of play. If differs from the full game.

We left that mention of 'population limit 0' out intentionally in the full manual, because it is not an official rule. Even Agriculture does not influence this, for instance.

We have put that mention in 'the first game' only so that people understand what happens.

After all demonstrations I have done, I can tell you 50% of the people ask me right after building a city either or both of these questions:

- do I get population in a city area during population expansion?
- can I keep population in the city area after I have built a city?

I took this into account when writing 'The First Game'.

To explain this, without having to dive deep into each specific detail, we decided to put it this way in 'The First Game'.

Now for the official rule:
- An area that contains a city cannot also contain tokens during check for surplus population. 'Agriculture' has no effect on this rule.
- Only 'Public Works' allows you to keep exactly 1 token in the area during check for surplus population
- If you hold 'Public Works' and 'Agriculture' this limit does not increas and is still exactly 1 token.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Wow. This is a horrible oversight in the rulebook. In fact, the paragraph on population reduction seems to indicate the opposite: that cities are included in reduction to printed population limits. We looked in the rulebook for that exact question because we thought it probably should have been 0, but that paragraph gave us the exact opposite impression. There needs to be some explicit mention in the actual rulebook whenever it's reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Wow. This is a horrible oversight in the rulebook. In fact, the paragraph on population reduction seems to indicate the opposite: that cities are included in reduction to printed population limits. We looked in the rulebook for that exact question because we thought it probably should have been 0, but that paragraph gave us the exact opposite impression. There needs to be some explicit mention in the actual rulebook whenever it's reprinted.
noted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
As a note, playing that way makes for a much more peaceful game, but we still had a ton of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls