Subject: How this expansion change the games depth? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Balazs Puspok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to buy the base game, but as I heard the complexity of the game isn't that high. Which is okay, because I mainly buy it for the story, and because the concept of the expansion really got me. Also I tend to play with kids eventually, but also with my friends.
So my question is, that is the Downwood tales expansion gives a game a little more depth? And in what way? Without of course mentioning any major spoilers.
Also, do they planning to continue the tale? I know there is Tails and feathers (I'm not sure I got the name right) but in itself that's a different game. A game which I planning to get mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downwood Tales adds significantly to the world of M&M. It is a sequel to a great story, as it adds additional heroes to story line. The starting characters are still very critical to the story, but the new friends they meet are very important as well. The Downwood also adds new enemies. The flow of the game in Downwood Tales in general is similar to the base game, meaning that it is played chapter by chapter. Each chapter in general still has 4 heroes participate, though some vary. But having to choose between 9 different Heroes (10 if you also purchase Heart of Glorm) in many of the chapters provides a lot of options and helps replay-ability in my opinion.

Downwood Tales can not be played without having a copy of Sorrow and Remembrance, because it does not include the figures and cards needed for the base characters. The complexity of game play is not much different, though there are additional game elements that add options that are not available in the base game. For example, in the base game, the mice can move up to the castle rooms or down to the tunnels underneath. The Downwood has the ground and tunnels underneath as well, but it also adds the choice of climbing up into the trees to move from place to place. Game play in the trees is no different than game play on the ground or underground, so it is not more complex in that aspect. However, more choices does in its own way add complexity to the the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might get this just to add the extra minions, cards and characters to the base game for more variety. I've been hedging because I always paint them all before I game with them but here just is not enough variety in the base game. A rat...more rats....look, an Elite Rat....ohh, more cockroaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets see.

I have a review up that touches on some of these questions.

1: does it give more depth?: Very much so! Downwood moves the adventure out of the castle and into the forest environs. It introduces several new mechanics and aspects to the gameplay sich as hiring NPCs. Shopping, and flight as well as the multi-tiers forest.

2: Seems there are plans for another expansion later. Or at least more of the lost chapters. Wont know till someone announces which may not be for a while with Tail Feathers out so soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls