If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by MWChapel's Snow Day thread in the Chit Chat forum, what did everyone play during the "big freeze", dubbed Ice Storm 2007?

List your plays for Tuesday 1/16 and Wednesday 1/17 and share an interesting story (if you have one) from the days the snow came down in Central Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Inspired by MWChapel's Snow Day thread in the Chit Chat forum, what did everyone play during the "big freeze", dubbed Ice Storm 2007?

List your plays for Tuesday 1/16 and Wednesday 1/17 and share an interesting story (if you have one) from the days the snow came down in Central Texas.

I stayed at home and whined about being stuck at home. I did punch an baggie up some new games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
These games hit my table during the "blizzard".

For Sale 3
Before I Kill You, Mr. Bond 2
Balloon Cup 1
Bohnanza 1
Hacienda 1
Kids Of Catan, The 1
Memoir '44 1
Pirate's Cove 1
Poison 1
Power Grid 1

We had an impromptu guy game night on Tuesday, which led to a "Hey, we're all off tomorrow anyway. Let's play again tomorrow, with spouses!" suggestion. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

But the coolest part of the snow day was watching my kids get pulled along on a plastic crate lid, up and down the street by our neighbor on his motorcycle. That man has the patience of a saint, he must've been pulling kids behind his motorcycle all afternoon.

That and the very brief snowball fight with my kids.

Most of the fun took place away from the gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
We got 3-4 inches here in NW Oregon, which is enough to mostly shut things down. 1/16 saw C&C:A - two games of Zama. Also, Carc the Castle. 1/17 saw C&C:A - two games of Baecula! And one game of Carc the Castle.

Yay for snow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in Oregon. A bunch of game playing with the kids - Monkey Madness, Gulo Gulo, etc. One game of Ingenious with the wife. I can work from home when needed, so really I didn't get all that much "can't work, let's play games!" time in.

The high point was definitely the snowball fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
joebelanger wrote:

No snow or even particularly bad weather here in San Jose, but I did show three experienced players who had only played Imperial with the Investor card (some of them many times) how much better it is without the investor card. All agreed that losing the investor card improves the game. Oh, and lunchtime gaming at work was Quietville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No snow for Houston, but I did manage to use the Ice Storm Scare to get out of going into work. Unfortunately, there was no one to play with. But I did manage to play a solo version of Bootleggers to learn the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Northglenn
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:

Just Neuland
Age of Steam 2 Player Variant
Halli Galli

Monday saw Attila as well but I guess that was technically pre-ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Austin, just south of the river...

Played a couple games of London's Burning.

Painted Battlelore creature minis and Kill Doctor Lucky promo mini.
(actually these are my first minis painted, so the storm took me to a new level of geekishness.)

--tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally my gaming group has a gaming weekend over the MLK Day weekend, almost always in Dallas. This year, due to the weather, one of our group opted to not make the trip to Dallas (from Houston) on Saturday. Two of us did make the trek - me from Aggieland and another from San Antonio. On Sunday morning, I took a look at the weather pattern on my computer and agreed with my wife that we had best pack up and head out before things got so nasty that we could not make it home. I left knowing that, since we had left early, Texas A&M would be closed Tuesday and possibly Wednesday.

Before we left, we played:
Railroad Tycoon
Bohnanza
Power Grid (the Benelux map)
two games of Ca$h 'n' Gun$
Batik
El Grande

The guy from San Antonio decided that the trek down I-35 looked like a long one at best and a major mistake at worst, so he decided to follow us back down to Aggieland and stay there Sunday night. A local friend who was unable to go to Dallas this time joined us and we played Mykerinos.

The next day, the guy from San Antonio was in the same position - he bailed out and left for home via the long TX-6 to Sealy, I-10 to San Antonio route. The other local joined me for a long game of Order of the Stick: The Dungeon of Dorukan.

Sadly, even though Texas A&M was closed for the next two days, his work wasn't. I read some rules but did not get any boardgames in during the actual ice storm, just the prelude...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne on AsoBrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.