Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot Baker
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk, England
flag msg tools
Hey guys!

As we all know, the Tinyprise is....terrible...just no.

I want to get a replacement model, either from shapeways or another source. I don't mind getting it painted up or even modifying it so it as a stem or magnet. I am just looking for a decent model.

I know shapeways is a common one but I want to hear from people who have bought and sourced replacement models and hear what they think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a micro machine replacement, get the three pack with D7 and Romulan Warbird.
Now you are ready for fun!

Also could go Starfleet Battles minis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sowerby
msg tools
mbmbmb
I second the Micromachines route, and also sourced a USS Stargazer that way, though it did need painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best substitutes I found were on Shapeways. The upside was I was able to get the exact size I wanted (the size of the refit enterprise but better models). The downside(s) were that 1) It took me forever to find them (search is not great) and once I found what I wanted, they got taken out of contention probably by copyright claims. Also you have to mount them on stands yourself which is twitchy.

The best easier substitute for the standard Constitution are the larger 1/3988 Constitutions from Star Fleet Battles, made of plastic and still being sold. They even fit on the stands pretty well without drilling. You will have to assemble them (easy) and paint them though.

The refit Enterprise is harder. Shapeways is still a good choice but stand by to carefully measure how big you want and be prepared to look for a while and pay more. There is a FASA Refit Enterprise but it's lead and the nacelles droop. You COULD buy the Federation class dreadnought (Constitution with 3 nacelles) and use IT for the refit Constitution. Not exactly thematic but it too is a very nice high quality plastic model which is light and durable and well detailed from Star Fleet Battles (Amarillo Design Bureau). This one is not bad https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZRHMHGCCK/enterprise-a-2-5.... Be aware though it's the low quality rough surface flexible version and to make it decent looking it needs a lot of paint and a LOT of coats of lacquer to smooth out the surface and stiffen the model. It is about the right size though.

Note these larger plastic minis of the Constitution and the Federation class dreadnought come from Lou Zocchi's Star Fleet Battle Manual game which is a hoot to play but lacks the replayability of STAW (or SFB or FASA's game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls