Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there a document or forum thread somewhere where the proper balance has been found in regards to player color and player count? For example, what two colors to use for a two player, three player, etc.
I know red is strong in lower player counts, so red should only be 4+ or 5+?

I searched but I didn't find anything specific on what colors you should use at each player count, without modifying any of their powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Rossville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend playing Hyperborea without the player powers, this makes the game balanced.

If you want to use the asymmetrical player powers, understand they aren't perfectly balanced, and that certain powers need to be kept in check by the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sanderlin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
I recommend playing Hyperborea without the player powers, this makes the game balanced.

If you want to use the asymmetrical player powers, understand they aren't perfectly balanced, and that certain powers need to be kept in check by the other players.
I realize that this is a good game hampered by a bad rulebook (now mostly fixed with the 2.0 FAQ), but I prefer to play with the asymmetrical gameplay. I just know that because of the imbalance you have to be careful with what colors are played with the number of players.

So I'm just looking for a list like:

2 players: Do not use colors X in a 2 player game
3 players: Do not use colors X in a 3 player game

etc.

I'm not looking to modify the powers or ignore them. I'm looking to use them in a somewhat "no player is OP" way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very aggressive red with the right techs can be pretty brutal in a 2 player game.
Leaving Purple alone in a 6 player game can be pretty silly.

Trying to go off top of my head and I haven't played in awhile. I'll update when I get home and refresh my brain. Been Working 16 hour shifts and am tired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls