Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rohloff
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have considered adding chips to the game to represent money not spent on a turn, that can be added to later rolls.

The rules would be:
- you may collects coins for unspent $ on your turn but are not required to.
- if it is possible to place a unit on you turn you must place at least 1.
- max of 3 coins ($3 million) can be collected per turn
- unspent coins count as negative at the end of the game.
- any number of coins can be added to any future dice roll to increase $ on band that turn.

Thematically these coins would be more like loans that have to be used our payed back.

I haven't tried this yet. But I would like to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rohloffc wrote:
I have considered adding chips to the game to represent money not spent on a turn, that can be added to later rolls.

The rules would be:
- you may collects coins for unspent $ on your turn but are not required to.
- if it is possible to place a unit on you turn you must place at least 1.
- max of 3 coins ($3 million) can be collected per turn
- unspent coins count as negative at the end of the game.
- any number of coins can be added to any future dice roll to increase $ on band that turn.

Thematically these coins would be more like loans that have to be used our payed back.

I haven't tried this yet. But I would like to.

Some of your rules seem kind of arbitrary. I don't think you need to force players to build one unit, and I don't think you need for unspent coins to count as negative points at the end of the game. What if you get to the end of the board but have unspent money? Do you win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rohloff
United States
Ames
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael
Thanks for your feedback. I was really hoping to get some. I have not tried this variant yet, so this is still just theory.

The requirment to build at least one unit is in keeping with the established rules of the game. The rules already require a player to build (if they can).

And in regards to "winning if you get to the end of the board", you bring up a good point. in your experience how often does that happen?

But one way to treat that issues is to see the "getting to the end of the board" as an end game trigger rather then an automatic win.

---
But back to the motivation for the two rules you address:

Building units is the heart & spirit of the game so on most turns players ought to be building. This also keeps the pace of the game up.

Regarding unspent coins being negative at the end of the game --- this is to keep players from "hording coins" and encourage them to be spent.

Also, creates a bit more tension towards the end of the game.

---
Do you think adding coins to this game is a good idea at all? How would you apply the idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played AtB in a while, but it does seem like a good idea. It would mitigate luck as players who got junky dice rolls could save their coins for next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls